Style
    BJJ - Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First jiu jitsu competition video

Heres a link to the video of my first match at my first jiu jitsu tourney at U.S Grappling grapplemania in Henderson NC. Im in the red triumph shorts. 162lbs novice division (only had one opponent so I got first place lol.) I lost my first match in the Novice Absolute division by two points and I wish I had the video of it to post since I didnt do quite as good in it. I have about 5-6 months grappling experience but only get to train once a week, twice a week max, which Im really hoping to train more after this competition.
    Anyways, I won 8-0 in points but I really should have won by submission but i made some simple, technical mistakes. I realize some of the mistakes but I would really like to hear any and all advice on what I could have done better to finish.

YouTube- U.S Grappling 7-24-10 John Heerschap (red)

Style
    BJJ, MT, TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jheers11 View Post
    I realize some of the mistakes but I would really like to hear any and all advice on what I could have done better to finish.
    For some reason, your video didn't embed. Here it is for everybody else:

Nice job on posture control.

If the arm triangle doesn't work in the first 5 seconds or so, you can turn it into a sweep (kick out same-side leg, roll and drive with your hips) directly to side control on the correct side to finish it.

Where do you train?

What got you into BJJ?

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very nice job for a guy with half a year of grappling, on the first tourney, John!

With more training, you'll get the feel of when to hold on to an attack-position and when to let it go and look for other options. Using too much energy on a choke or attempted armbar might compromise your further efficiency in the fight.

Also, never grab your toes while adjusting the triangle - the guy might explode upwards to free himself and you'll end up with hurt toes. Only do what you did as your next move - grab the shin...

Congrats and keep us informed (you might also consider writing a school-review here)! :-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Style
    BJJ - Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies and compliments! and thanks Uncle skippy for the sweep idea Im gonna definetly try that next time I train. I train at Team Roc Greensboro, NC and I think Im gonna start going to Team Roc Charlotte some too. I just reviewed Team Roc Gboro yesterday and put it as my dojo. I feel they are pretty good considering I only been training once a week on average and I did decent for my experience. I got into BJJ just because I watched UFC my whole life since I was a little kid and always wanted to do it but never knew there were any schools in my area (which technically there still isnt because I have to drive an hour to get to the places lol). I love the sport so much that I remember it was a surreal experience to me just taking my first mma class. Now I can definetly see my self doing jiu jitsu my whole life as long as health permits.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, it's quite possible I missed the little red house icon on the right hand side... ;-P

Still, you should enrich the review, as it says almost nothing about who teaches there, when, how, etc... Also please use the rating, according to the guidelines.

Enjoy your training.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah the old top side tea bagger triangle fail position. It is high up on the positional hierarchy, just not something you see as someone's goto.

Good show.

Quote Originally Posted by jheers11 View Post
    Heres a link to the video of my first match at my first jiu jitsu tourney at U.S Grappling grapplemania in Henderson NC. Im in the red triumph shorts. 162lbs novice division (only had one opponent so I got first place lol.) I lost my first match in the Novice Absolute division by two points and I wish I had the video of it to post since I didnt do quite as good in it. I have about 5-6 months grappling experience but only get to train once a week, twice a week max, which Im really hoping to train more after this competition.
    Anyways, I won 8-0 in points but I really should have won by submission but i made some simple, technical mistakes. I realize some of the mistakes but I would really like to hear any and all advice on what I could have done better to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.