Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: BJJ powerbomb?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ powerbomb?

I understand that it's really uncool to follow through, but I think it'd be a legitimate defense to a triangle or guard, and if I can stand up from a triangle or guard, establishing the proper height to slam the **** out of my opponent, I should at the very least get a reset. Hell, if it were a competition I should get a few points or something.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I completely agree with you, but life is seldom that awesome.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ja hwo View Post
    I understand that it's really uncool to follow through, but I think it'd be a legitimate defense to a triangle or guard, and if I can stand up from a triangle or guard, establishing the proper height to slam the **** out of my opponent, I should at the very least get a reset. Hell, if it were a competition I should get a few points or something.
    Problem is slamming out of a triangle can be easily countered, it's even worse to try to slam out of an armbar since by raising up you extend your arm. Also trying to slam in guard is a good way to get swept. It's more efficient and less risky to just escape the submission or pass guard. Sure you could slam to stop a triangle, but it's not kosher and it's dangerous for you and your partner.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Slamming doesn't work that well to stop any of those unless your opponent is stupid and LETS you pick him up.... Or I guess if you have some stupidly huge strength advantage.

Style
    Mixed martial arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strictly speaking from a self-defense "real-time" vantage, I think this would be a completely valid method of getting someone to let go of your arm or release their grip on you!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Problem is slamming out of a triangle can be easily countered, it's even worse to try to slam out of an armbar since by raising up you extend your arm. Also trying to slam in guard is a good way to get swept. It's more efficient and less risky to just escape the submission or pass guard. Sure you could slam to stop a triangle, but it's not kosher and it's dangerous for you and your partner.
    What would you do to counter a slam out of a triangle?
    Last edited by ja hwo; 6/23/2010 11:49pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Slamming doesn't work that well to stop any of those unless your opponent is stupid and LETS you pick him up.... Or I guess if you have some stupidly huge strength advantage.
    When we're intertwined it's easy for me to pick someone up. I'm about 165, my best deadlift to date is 385 x 2, and I clean about 200 lbs. If someone my weight is intertwined with me and not holding onto my legs, if I want them to go up, they're going up.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just outline the critical point right there. "Not holding on to my legs."
    If someone starts trying to pick me up the very first thing I do is hook their leg.

Example video:
    YouTube- Kintanon NAGA 2009 Sept No Gi Intermediate Flyweight Match 1

I'm the smaller of the two there. You can see that at the 55 second mark he manages to explode a bit and bounce me on my head, I didn't even feel it on the mats, but it would have been uncomfortable on concrete.
    However at 1:55 when I put the triangle on him he tries to pick me up and pull out of it and I immediately hook the leg to stop him. He even drops his knee on me for good measure.
    Doesn't help him at all.

On concrete I probably would have been pretty roughed up along the shoulders, but not much more.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I can explode up a lot faster than that guy, but I'm gonna nonetheless abandon the idea. I'd probably look a bit like a douche if I keep doing it in practice, and it's not gonna help me develop guard passing, triangle countering skills.

Thanks for the advice and video, it was all really helpful.
    Last edited by ja hwo; 6/24/2010 9:24am at .

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah, if you want to practice slamming some in case someone tries to triangle choke you in a bar fight, go for it. But don't consider it a high percentage escape against a trained adversary of your own size.
    It MIGHT work, but learning the proper defenses against the triangle will work BETTER.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last