Page 4 of 21 First 1234567814 ... Last
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26
    Style
    Budo Taijutsu, Kali
    Full contact competitions? Where are the competitions where people pull out eyes, throats and other vital areas? There is a difference between combat arts and sport arts. Personally I train to win any altercation and I avoid them if I can. I do not train for competitions and trophies. I support you if you do. Please enjoy. Competitions with rules are not the test of a true martial system

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Burnaby B.C.
    Posts
    3,124
    Style
    Jacket wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    Full contact competitions? Where are the competitions where people pull out eyes, throats and other vital areas?
    Early UFC

    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    There is a difference between combat arts and sport arts. Personally I train to win any altercation and I avoid them if I can.
    Any?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    I do not train for competitions and trophies. I support you if you do. Please enjoy. Competitions with rules are not the test of a true martial system
    Oh except for those competitions

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    668
    Style
    Hung Ga Kung Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    Full contact competitions? Where are the competitions where people pull out eyes, throats and other vital areas? There is a difference between combat arts and sport arts. Personally I train to win any altercation and I avoid them if I can. I do not train for competitions and trophies. I support you if you do. Please enjoy. Competitions with rules are not the test of a true martial system
    How many vital areas have you pulled out in your lifetime? How many serious altercations have you been in where your Kali came into play? Are you a true martial artist? What situations do you train for?

    I trained to punch, kick, elbow, knee and throw people and got to do it for a while. **** trophies. It's about seeing what you've got and how it stacks up against other martial artists that train probably harder than you do and they are looking to knock you the **** out, so you better bring your "A" game. You can train to fight drunks and homeless people all you want, but the true test of a martial artist comes from fighting the best... and the best aren't all in your camp being nice to you.

    :jihad:

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26
    Style
    Budo Taijutsu, Kali
    Ok [COLOR=#cccccc]nomamao[/COLO"]nomamao - Member Profile - Bullshido, your awesome. I did not intend to step on your toes. You are entitled to your opinion and how you train. Also for the record you do not know what my training incorporates or how much, how hard, nor what opponents. You also do not know who I am nor what has transpired in life situations for me. I am certainly not going to detail them here.

    This seems to be degenerating into a dispute which is never settled on these forums. This dispute was not the intention of my post and therefore I withdraw from it. Good luck with your training and have fun.

    Blessings.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    668
    Style
    Hung Ga Kung Fu
    Same to you, and sorry if I came on a bit too strong, but you don't know how many times I've heard the "sports is fun and all, but I train TEH REALZ" in real life only to find out that what they do is something akin to LARPing and get all caught up in the fantasy.

    You may indeed be a hardened fighter that can scrap with the best of them, but your rhetoric only reminds me of someone caught up in the hype their instructor told them. If you've competed full contact a couple of times and it's not your cup of tea--that's one thing. To say it's useless for a fighter is quite another.

    Even though I'm not currently competing anymore, I wouldn't knock the guys that do, because I know what it takes is some of the hardest training out there--unless you like getting knocked out.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26
    Style
    Budo Taijutsu, Kali
    Well, I have fought full contact as you say with guys from other traditions who wanted to hurt me and show me how tough they were. I did fine. I would not say it is useless. Some people do not know how they do under the effects of massive amounts of adrenaline and an opponent striking as hard as they can and attempting to break things. However I have been in living encounters with people using lethal force, half of those they had weapons. I found them to be extremely different experiences and I do not believe that full contact prepares for those sorts of engagements. I felt better prepared because of the types of training that I have done.

    I feel the truth is that no one really knows how their personal martial training will stand up in a living encounter unless it actually happens. God forbid that it does. I hope people here do not train for the fantasy of harming others like many do. I hope that martial artists would train to better themselves and protect themselves and their families. Martial arts at their core I believe are healing arts as it is unhealthy to let someone harm you.

    Peace and Good Training

  7. #37
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,664
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Why do people prefer blind faith to proven results?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26
    Style
    Budo Taijutsu, Kali
    I think it depends on what you are talking about backfist.

  9. #39
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,664
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    I think it depends on what you are talking about backfist.
    How so?

    When is it ok to lay your life on the line based on blind faith?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26
    Style
    Budo Taijutsu, Kali
    You still could be a bit more clear.

Page 4 of 21 First 1234567814 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in