Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    Koryu Budo, Shooto

Tony Jaa is out of movies, into temples

After a bright start, the career of the man many called the next great martial arts movie star is on hold. Personally I thought he never really picked up after Ong Bak, but he definitely had a talent for practical stunts in this age of CGI and wire-fu, and it is sad to see him go. Becoming a monk is many times not a lifelong commitment, but we shall see if he ever bounces back. This article on Twitch goes a bit more into the troubled history of Jaa, and it is worth a read. Click for a tale of messy legal disputes and black magic in Cambodia.

Style
    Hybrid Martial Arts
    How will i now get my fill of Capoeira vs Pro Wrestling?

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Meh. There's plenty of acrobatic/parkour-ish stunt actors around to fill the void. Maybe some of them can actually act. Case in point, I recently enjoyed District 13 - Ultimatum.

Style
    RBSD, Muay Thai,BJJ
    The fight choreographer made Ong Bak and Jaa's other movies great. Not that he is a bumb or anything. If you ever seen chocolate you know what I mean. A tiny chick fighting just like Jaa. I can't comment on his acting, he's english stinks.

Style
    TKD, Arnis, Catch
    Speaking of, maybe this will make room for more Jeeja Yanin movies. I certainly hope so.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimmakfist View Post
    The fight choreographer made Ong Bak and Jaa's other movies great. Not that he is a bumb or anything. If you ever seen chocolate you know what I mean. A tiny chick fighting just like Jaa. I can't comment on his acting, he's english stinks.

*slow clap*

Bravo.

Style
    Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ
    Like the article said, becoming a monk for a while is a common practice in Thailand, he'll be out in a few years. Seems like he went a little nuts making Ong Bak 2 and 3, I don't think we should expect much more of him in the future.

As for Thai cinema in general, Jeeja Yanin and Dan Chupon are both good, but I don't think they have the same level of physical prowess that makes Jaa so entertaining to watch. We'll see what movies BaaRamEwe comes out with in the future, but I don't know if they'll be as successful without their big draw.

Style
    boxing, jiujitsu
    I'm actually pretty sad about this, he is my favorite martial arts movie actor.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Look at the bright side, at least Hollywood didn't get their hands on him to ruin like Jackie Chan, John Woo and Chow Yun Fat.

Style
    RBSD, Muay Thai,BJJ
    Come on John Woo, Jackie Chan, Chow Yun fat, all have put out good Hollywood movies.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last