Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sanshou - it's not a style right?

Hey guys

Sanshou is a rule-set right?

It's not an actual "style", as it's a combo of chinese boxing, wrestling, grappling, etc.

Am I correct in thinking that?

Oh and I'm in my second week of training. Loving it so far. And doing JJJ on the other days, which I'm also really enjoying.

It's weird the kinds of fit you get - I thought I got fit doing the running and pushups, etc, etc at my previous school, but it's a completely different thing to spar with someone on the mat for 3min.

I can't believe I wasted 5 months and money at the kung fu school I was at. But I guess that's how we learn.

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a ruleset in sense that Boxing, Kickboxing, Freestyle Wrestling, etc are all rulesets. I'm not at all qualified but as far as i know from looking around online previously it's a style in so far as gyms training for it will teach you to fight in a way intended for its ruleset, but not in so far as that it has a classical lineage or a codified set of techniques.

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surprore - thanks, that's kinda what I thought :)

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It has morphed into semantics over the years. It is a rule set but, it has become a style of Chinese Kickboxing with specific techniques.

So, there is no longer a right or wrong answer. There are schools that would be considered "traditional" that compete in the Sanshou/Sanda rule set. There are schools that teach Sanshou/Sanda using Kickboxing and no real "CMA styles," to fight in the rule set and call it Sanshou/Sanda.

Don't worry about it because, it leads to silly arguments.

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, IIF.

Style
    Bayless Freestyle JJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Hey guys

Sanshou is a rule-set right?

It's not an actual "style", as it's a combo of chinese boxing, wrestling, grappling, etc.

Am I correct in thinking that?

Oh and I'm in my second week of training. Loving it so far. And doing JJJ on the other days, which I'm also really enjoying.

It's weird the kinds of fit you get - I thought I got fit doing the running and pushups, etc, etc at my previous school, but it's a completely different thing to spar with someone on the mat for 3min.

I can't believe I wasted 5 months and money at the kung fu school I was at. But I guess that's how we learn.

It's a rule set,

chinese kickboxing is the style.