Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Progressive Martial Arts - Brisbane

G'day

Been reading on here daily for a few weeks maybe a month now in search of general information, needless to say the site is just loaded with it so I am enjoying my stay. I have done some research in my local area towards a Martial Arts Gym and came across one that is VERY close to my home its name is the title of the thread there based around the wynnum/manly area.

I am a little bit concerned about the gym/dojo as I was reading up in the Mcdojo thread and Progressive martial arts gym was there that someone was ranting about, there was only 1-2 posts about the dojo and thats all I could find, to get to the point can anyone backup the claims of this person.....

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Christensen View Post
    Progressive Martial Arts Academy-

Don't know if they have a website, but they are in Wynnum in Brisbane.

I rang inquiring about grappling. The woman "in charge" told me how she knew all about Testa and Glima etc, how she had trained with Dan Inosanto.

Good.

Then she told me how their grappling was a "style".

Not so good.

Then I inquired about whether she could teach me to headbutt more effectively.

She got really angry.

She told me it was "too dangerous" to use in sparring. She told me it was a "stupid tool" to use.
    I countered by accusing her of prejudice towards Eritreans and countering that I had headbutted successfully in the past.

She then said I should take up Southern Mantis.

No, for two reasons

1. Nobody will train me
    2. I hate one of the sifus in Brisbane and will have his horrid little head one day.

My friend, a recognised JKD trapping master, said this pathetic specimen was the equivalent of "a good brown belt", would be "completely intimidated" if she faced me one on one and was basically a fraud.

As a closing statement, I have consulted with not one but TWO world beating neuroscientists. Does this make me a neuroscientist? **** no.

Does meeting Dan Inosanto make you a JKD master with your own "style"?

No.

So much for progressive martial arts.
    Does this hold true I am not sure but the fact that its on here makes me nervous over the dojo/gym....

Style
    MMA, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Toby is someone who is pretty well known on these boards for knowing jack **** about martial arts, he was perma-banned until recently. If he wrote a negative comment about my gym/dojo I'd probably take it as a compliment. Go along and try a class or post up a website for us to evaluate, i live in Brisbane too but haven't really heard of them.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I probably should of given a link to there site.......

Here it is:
    http://www.progressivemartialarts.com.au/index.php

I hope it helps as I am not too well versed in what too really look for when it comes to good vs bad dojo/gym the only thing I look for is if they allow full contact sparring.

Style
    MMA, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That website is the worst I've seen all year. Its so bad i feel like ringing up the owner and telling him how bad it is.

My take on it is that their striking is probably ok since they compete and have regular MT classes, but when the grappling is "invitational only" I start to think "JKD school cashing in on MMA success". Personally i would rather travel an extra 20 minutes than train at that place.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the only other one of merit that I can think of off the top of my head would be Advanced martial Arts at cooparoo, I am just not sure if I'd be able to make the traing time table -_-

Style
    MMA, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been to that place, its good. Their training timetable is the most flexible available in Brisbane to be honest so I'm not sure what the clash is. If you can't make some of their classes weights might be a better physical persuit.
    Kenny Weldon

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your input but do you know of any other good dojo/gyms in the area at all I wouldn't mind a Broad knowledge of them :) well the 'legit' ones ?

Style
    BJJ/Zumba
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Place looks like a nice gym, haven't heard of it before, either.

Advance Martial Arts is where I train, the classes are pretty awesome and timetable is very available (full time gym), what are you trying to make that you cannot -- noob classes?

There's also http://www.maqld.com/ in Toowong, http://www.integratedmma.com/ in Stafford, that I know and can recommend.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Style
    Shooto, Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training at PMA for years now. It's definitely not a mcdojo. Cookie and Q are the head instructors and have been around forever. They train and teach in the US regularly with Guru Dan. I don't know what else to say other than they know their stuff and they're good people.

Oh and the reason the grappling session referred to above is invitation only is just a safety thing. It's a free grappling session and we've had problems in the past with novices attending and causing or receiving injuries purely from inexperience. So attending just requires an understanding of the basics and the proper attitude. There are another 2 classes that are open to anyone. They cover technique mostly but often finish with a roll so you can practice.

Pop in and check it out. Everyone's real friendly and laid back. I'd suggest Saturday morning as it has the most classes on. You're right to expand your options though. Check out a bunch of places and choose the one you like best.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Place looks like a nice gym, haven't heard of it before, either.

Advance Martial Arts is where I train, the classes are pretty awesome and timetable is very available (full time gym), what are you trying to make that you cannot -- noob classes?

There's also http://www.maqld.com/ in Toowong, http://www.integratedmma.com/ in Stafford, that I know and can recommend.
    Thanks for the recommendations I had heard of IntegratedMMA however Both stafford and Toowong are a ways drive for me...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last