Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    Smells like some school's owner is looking to drum up publicity.

OP, Ottawa is one of those big cities up in Canada, it shouldn't be hard to find at least one legit BJJ place. I'll find one right now.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/bj...ottawa-948833/ which refers to here:
    http://www.oama.ca/home.php?site=bjj

Renzo FTW, I say.
    Yeah def not an owner, but I'd do whatever I can to support them, good dudes. OAMA is a great school too but it's not for everyone.... Muay Thai there is way too crowded... But good bjj program. Machado = Gracie too, FYI . You disappoint.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello, I went in for there 60 day trial and now are refusing to cancel my membership, although I am in my 60 days. They are saying that for it to be valid, I must go 4 days a week. When I joined this was not communicated to me nor is it on my contract! Everyone says there classes are good, but be sure and make sure you don't get ripped off like I am. I am not even going and they are going to charge me every two weeks! They are obviously desperate for the money and are going to cheat people out of their money! buyer beware!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello, I went in for there 60 day trial and now are refusing to cancel my membership, although I am in my 60 days. They are saying that for it to be valid, I must go 4 days a week. When I joined this was not communicated to me nor is it on my contract! Everyone says there classes are good, but be sure and make sure you don't get ripped off like I am. I am not even going and they are going to charge me every two weeks! They are obviously desperate for the money and are going to cheat people out of their money! buyer beware!

Style
    Keyboard Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by as_2011 View Post
    If it is not on your contract they should not be able to do this. Maybe it is time to assemble your documentation (membership agreement, timeline of events, etc) and talk to Better Business Bureau or possibly even small claims court? Obviously I haven't seen the text or your agreement and am not familiar with the details of your particular circumstances but you should have some avenues for recourse available.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have gathered all my evidence and sent it to the consumer protection board and the BBB. I also discovered they have a rating of F with the BBB under a different name, you need to search with their phone number. I went to the consumer board because the contract is not up to standards, is missing pertinent infomation (ie 10 day resting period where you can cancel for any reason), among other things. One problem is that at first I was told I can't cancel because of this challenge, but when I asked for it in writing I got the runaround, which leads me to believe they knew it was wrong. They did have a challenge in March but I signed up in April. I read their website and think maybe they are refering to their "better than money back guarantee" which provides a refund of any payments made a full 60 days after joining, I presented them with this information and have yet to have a response. If they deny this claim I will also file a complaint with the Advertising Standards Council for false and misleading advertising. Another buyer beware is I am being harrassed by Member Solutions, which is the financing company for K2, although this is no where on the contract that you are authorizing a third party to take payments. Member Solutions has a bad reputation! As I said, I have heard their programs are good, and they seemed alright from my limited exposure, but from these contract and payment issues I would not recommend them, it all feels a bit shady to me.

Style
    Keyboard Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. Very uncool. Best of luck with that.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have now been at this for over a month! Lynne Nicolaides is the person apparently responsible for accounts. However, in this short time I have found her incompetent, lazy, and quite clueless. She has stopped responding to all emails, although I still get calls from Member Solutions looking for payment. FYI, there is a contract with Member Solutions that is to be signed, although I was never presented with one and they cannot locate a signed copy* Just a buyer beware. Again, I have heard good things about their programs, but their administrative staff are the worst I have ever dealt with. Whats funnier is that I am an accountant with a degree is business, I have study law within my degree and know my rights. I have filed a complaint with: BBB for contract, bad business practice, false advertising etc (they already have a rating of F); Consumer Protection board for breach of contract, non-disclosure and bad business practices; and The Advertising Standards Council for false advertising (since they will not honour my cancellation based on conditions that were never communicated). I am now in the process of filing a complaint with the Privacy Office, they disclosed my financial information to a third party billing company, where a contract is in place, without my knowledge or consent. I am now dealing directly with Member Solutions to get my account cancelled from that end.

Style
    Keyboard Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by as_2011 View Post
    I have now been at this for over a month! Lynne Nicolaides is the person apparently responsible for accounts. However, in this short time I have found her incompetent, lazy, and quite clueless. She has stopped responding to all emails, although I still get calls from Member Solutions looking for payment. FYI, there is a contract with Member Solutions that is to be signed, although I was never presented with one and they cannot locate a signed copy* Just a buyer beware. Again, I have heard good things about their programs, but their administrative staff are the worst I have ever dealt with. Whats funnier is that I am an accountant with a degree is business, I have study law within my degree and know my rights. I have filed a complaint with: BBB for contract, bad business practice, false advertising etc (they already have a rating of F); Consumer Protection board for breach of contract, non-disclosure and bad business practices; and The Advertising Standards Council for false advertising (since they will not honour my cancellation based on conditions that were never communicated). I am now in the process of filing a complaint with the Privacy Office, they disclosed my financial information to a third party billing company, where a contract is in place, without my knowledge or consent. I am now dealing directly with Member Solutions to get my account cancelled from that end.
    Wow. Are you considering small claims court?
    Sounds like K2 Martial Arts in Ottawa really sucks ass (or at minimum their business practices).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said, their programs seem decent, but definitely the business practices are shady at best! The company that collects for them Member Solutions is about to send my account to collections, at which time I will owe the full membership, $1400! and yes, I will be taking them to small claims court for this amount plus my expenses to do so. I am fortunate that I get free legal advice through my employment, I have discussed this with them and are just waiting for the account to go to collections. But before they do that Member Solutions is trying to locate my signed enrolment form, this is the form they will require to show they have the authority to take me to collections. They will not find one because I never signed one, and I was only given the Member Solutions contract last week.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Incompetence!

Finally figured out something today, why would K2 Martial Arts, a company that grosses somewhere around $1m a year hire such an incompetent person to handle memberships where accounting is necessary and so is a bit of contract law and knowledge of the Consumer Protection Act? The person that handles this is Lynne Nicolaides, and I discovered today that the owner of the numbered company 1350810 Ontario Inc. which owns K2 Martial Arts is Aksell Nicolaides! This is leads me to believe that her husband/brother gave her the job. But more disturbing is does he know how she is running the business? I guess he probably doesn't care as long as they are still making their money!!

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last