Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Noob 5x5 Questions

I got talked into doing the 5x5 program in the Physical Fitness forum. I have 2 questions about it though:

1) The program exercises you 3 days a week. Previously I was doing exercises everyday and doing nothing feels like a waste. I'd ask, "Should I do cardio on those days," but I'm not sure why I can't do cardio everyday anyways. What should I do during these free days, and is it ok to do cardio everyday (not 5x5 related but curious)?

2) I noticed another physical fitness thread saying someone was moving from 5x5 to endurance. I get the idea from this that 5x5 doesn't provide any endurance. Ideally I want a program that improves both strength and endurance. Anyway to alter the program to help with this, or should I choose another program?

Style
    Boxing/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This would be better asked on the fitness forum rather than here, but I'll handle it.

1) By 5x5 I assume you're doing Stronglifts 5x5. You can do cardio everyday so long as it fits within your training goals and you are able to recover enough between training sessions to continue to make progress. In most cases, this is not possible, but if you have a lower intensity on your cardio (walking uphill/pick-up sports games), it may be possible.

For what reason are you wanting to strength train and do cardio everyday? What is your specific training goal?

2) This seems to run into the same problem as point 1. You appear to want to train too many goals at once, which also conflict with each other. Maximal strength training WILL improve endurance (fun exercise: Who can deadlift 315lbs more often: Someone who can deadlift 500lbs, or someone who can deadlif 225lbs?), but essentially before you start training you need to decide WHY you're training.

Really, for "endurance", I would train more for sport specific conditioning, because having great muscular endurance for running or swimming won't mean dick if your goal is boxing, and vise versa. If you're just wanting to train everything at once and get better at nothing, I'd go for crossfit, but I'd also never train without goals.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    For what reason are you wanting to strength train and do cardio everyday? What is your specific training goal?

Really, for "endurance", I would train more for sport specific conditioning, because having great muscular endurance for running or swimming won't mean dick if your goal is boxing, and vise versa. If you're just wanting to train everything at once and get better at nothing, I'd go for crossfit, but I'd also never train without goals.
    I suppose my goal may be too abstract and greedy. I want to have the most efficient body possible. I want to increase all my attributes the best I can without sacrificing the others. Is this wanting too much? Should I pick a particular direction I want to go and stick with it?

I mention doing cardio everyday b/c the same way I want the most efficient body, I'm wanting to know the most efficient workout possible. I'm not saying I will do cardio everyday, but if it's possible to do without hurting my other workouts I'm up for trying it.

Style
    Boxing/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wanting to get better at everything usually means you'll get really mediocre at everything rather than really good at some things and not good at other things. If that is how you want to go, as much as it pains me, I would say crossfit.com is where you want to look.
    "Emevas,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you look down upon it, and another person said you're one of the best people here to listen to, so I'll just stick with 5x5 and if I feel I need more endurance worry about it later :P

Style
    Boxing/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't buy into the dogma associated with my screename. My dislike for crossfit is more from an idealogical standpoint than a programming one (granted, I take issue with some of their programming, but for what they want to accomplish, they do it well). I more believe in having a solid and specific goal rather than one of getting better at everything, whereas crossfit attempts to get one better at everything. For your present goal, crossfit would benefit you more than the 5x5. If, however, you decide upon a more specific goal, training specifically towards that goal would benefit you more than crossfit.
    "Emevas,

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do you actually need the cardio though? do you compete or is it just for general wellbeing?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    do you actually need the cardio though? do you compete or is it just for general wellbeing?
    General well-being. The idea I got when I decided to start exercising consistently was to exercise every individual body system I could find an exercise for. One of those systems being the cardiovascular, I want to do my best to keep it in shape as well as my muscular.

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, Emevas did say as long as it doesn't interfere with your recovery you could do some cardio.
    Personally the routine I'm on at the moment (basically stronglifts) is giving me plenty of improvement and I box twice a week and play judo twice a week.

but that being said it is probably inhibiting my gains in some form I just don't realise it.

Style
    MMA / BJJ / Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did stronglifts for just over 3 months and in my experience you can do cardio on your off days but at some point it gets so heavy that you struggle to recover while training that often.

I still manage to train 6 days a week by monitoring my diet and sleep very closely (you have to eat big or you WILL fail). I also changed over to Starting Strength which is a very similar linear progression program but has a lower volume (3x5) so allows you to recover more quickly. Even then a heavy deadlifting set needs some serious recovery.

Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 Last