Page 4 of 18 First 1234567814 ... Last
    Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fat Land is a good read for anyone who wants to know where many of our dietary changes have changed us from a nation (US) of healthy to the fat bastards we are now.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/290624.Fat_Land

Oklahoma is one of the worst states in the US for fat people. Not talking a little overweight, but morbidly obese people who can barely move. Probably half of the required handicaped parking spots in the US are taken by people who should be required to park at the farthest end of the lot and get a bit of exercise.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 10/21/2009 11:46pm at .

Style
    various
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm debating whether or not to post this, bc it would take me a while to find the reference, but apparently studies have been done that show that everywhere in the world (where there is sufficient food) people eat the same amount of food by volume.

People in cultures where obesity is very rare eat the same amount of food, but a lot more of it is rice and veggies and water to drink, instead of hamburgers and pizza and drinking beer and sodas.

Where a lot of people run into problems losing weight is they try to eat less food, when really they should be trying to eat different food. Eating less is very difficult bc the human body seems to be designed to want a certain amount every day.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    As a libertarian I'm terrified of the eventuality that under a universal healthcare system, our government will have an implicit mandate to regulate everything we eat.

I feel the solution to the obesity problem is 50% education, 50% relentless application of negative social pressure (ie. shame).
    I am a Libertarian to, but I kinda feel that theirs a line that once crossed I go, **** it, I basically have no freedom here, so just take the rest.

Kinda like if when you were seven a kid takes all but one of your LEGO bricks, you just kinda give up one them, and say fine, take em all.

Basically if I'm paying for some one else's health care, I want them to eat healthy, and stop doing crack, because its my fucking money!

(maybe they could fight Drugs and Obesity by saying if your Obese or your on drugs then no health care for you.)

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what bjp said.

people think less food is less calories. not always true.

yeah, half a bacon cheeseburger is less calories than a whole one. but you can get your less calories and lower saturated fats, and still stay full all day. it's called apple slices instead of fun sized snickers. it's brown rice and steamed veggies topped with low sodium soy sauce instead of tater tots with nacho cheese sauce.

it's taking the goddamn skin off your fucking chicken breast.

Style
    Traditional Jujutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taking responsibility for yourself? Personal accountability? That's crazy talk. So much easier to feel sorry for myself, and convince other people to feel sorry for my fat ass too. Is it easy? Of course not. Effort, self sacrifice, commitment - if it were easy, then this discussion wouldn't even have started. My battle with my weight is a constant struggle, and many times, I've taken the easy way out. That is nobody's fault but my own. I know change won't come in a day, or even a week. But unless I make the effort to initiate that change on my own, it won't ever come. Start out slow, and build up. Don't be obsessed with the scale - that's only one indicator of better health. A lot of times, as you build up muscle, you might even find that you gain a little bit of weight. But, if the pants feel looser around the waist, you're not as tired walking up the flight of stairs instead of taking the elevator, you feel more alert during the day and you find your overall mood and outlook on life have improved, then it's working.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Food is kind. Gentle. Nurturing. It hearkens us back to a simpler time when we were carefree children, without responsibility. Milestones and holidays were celebrated with some manner of foodstuff. Food loves you and wants you to be happy. Food makes you think of Mommy and birthday cake. Lunchboxes and Hostess treats. Milk and cookies and naps and Kindergarten teachers.

Exercise hurts. It is painful and uncomfortable and takes work, strain and effort. It prevents you from taking the easy way. The simple way. The short-cut. It demands your sweat and excellence and will not allow anything less then the absolute minimum to complete and rewards superb physicial activity with the promise of more, harder physical activity next go round. Exercise makes you think of Daddy or Coach. Yelling and whistles. Demands.

Which do you think the weak will choose.
    Which do you think is better over the long term.

Style
    BJJ, MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Cesar View Post
    You know, their is no better gift then a SS uniform,

Try it for your

Jewish, Black, Slavic, or homosexual friends the'll be shocked and Amazed!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Food is kind. Gentle. Nurturing. It hearkens us back to a simpler time when we were carefree children, without responsibility. Milestones and holidays were celebrated with some manner of foodstuff. Food loves you and wants you to be happy. Food makes you think of Mommy and birthday cake. Lunchboxes and Hostess treats. Milk and cookies and naps and Kindergarten teachers.

Exercise hurts. It is painful and uncomfortable and takes work, strain and effort. It prevents you from taking the easy way. The simple way. The short-cut. It demands your sweat and excellence and will not allow anything less then the absolute minimum to complete and rewards superb physicial activity with the promise of more, harder physical activity next go round. Exercise makes you think of Daddy or Coach. Yelling and whistles. Demands.

Which do you think the weak will choose.
    Which do you think is better over the long term.
    *Opens closet, steps in, closes door. Cries.*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post

Still think ithat's a good idea? I mean, seriously?!

Page 4 of 18 First 1234567814 ... Last