Page 2 of 18 First 12345612 ... Last
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    As a libertarian I'm terrified of the eventuality that under a universal healthcare system, our government will have an implicit mandate to regulate everything we eat.

I feel the solution to the obesity problem is 50% education, 50% relentless application of negative social pressure (ie. shame).
    Add in mandatory exercise starting in kindergarten and I'm all for it. By the time kids are sent off to be on their own exercise patterns need to be firmly ingrained.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.
    Style
    Rehab Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    Easiest way to eat healthy, go to the grocery store and shop the perimeter of the store only. If it's boxed, or canned, other then dried, don't buy it.

Basically, if it doesn't rot within a few days of being left out, don't eat it.

^^^Very good straightforward advice.

There are lots of things at a societal level that contribute to obesity as a macro problem, including lots of practices in our agricultural/food industries. And we need to deal with them. But on an individual basis, eat your greens, and cut out the soda, and you are 90% of the way there.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style! staff
    Style
    MMA
    I have no patience for the vast majority of people that make excuses. If you have trouble with self-control then join a group for support. Are alcoholics expected to go sober all by themselves? No, they have AA. There are similar groups for people with food addictions, because that's what it is, AN ADDICTION. If you can't beat it by yourself get help. I'm lucky enough that I don't need a group. I decided I got fat at 6'2'' and 260 lbs. I stopped eating all the crap and now 6 months later I'm down to about 210 with 10 to go. It was hard as **** because I LOVE food and I love beer even more. What it boils down to is that I saw the health problems in my family from being overweight, not to mention the physical appearance issues, and I decided it was time to make a change. Do I expect everyone with weight issues to do it like me? Hell no. It's hard to do it by yourself, but like I said, if you can't do it by yourself get help losing weight instead of joining a group designed to make you feel better about shortening your lifespan.

edit: there was LOTS OF EXERCISE in my plan too, not just food intake reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    Add in mandatory exercise starting in kindergarten and I'm all for it. By the time kids are sent off to be on their own exercise patterns need to be firmly ingrained.
    My son's school just instituted PE down to kindergarten when he was in 2nd grade. They are on a 4-day school week and have PE twice a week.

I mentioned in another thread about the Presidential Physical Fitness Award. I remember when I was in school, the Award involved the PE coach recording if you could do X number of pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups, rope climb, sprints and distance running in a pre-set time. I remember the test being done over a week in PE.

My son brought home a record book where we had to record that he has at least 60 mins. of physical activity for 5 days out of the week. With his activity load, it isn't a problem, but last year he and another kid were the only ones in his class that got it and I would say less then 10% of the entire grade got the award.

Of course, I see the other parents dropping off or picking the kids up, so it wouldn't surprise me that they are sloths that eat fast food most nights.

Style
    blunt trauma
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis17 View Post
    I think first there needs to be better education on the subject in schools. Explaining how certain things are put in food and the effects they have on the body. This is probably the most important thing here. We all hear junk food is bad, but I don't remember ever being taught why and what to look for, and why something is good for you.
    Dude. Have you been in a school cafeteria?

Style
    MMA
    You know, I heard about this amazing machine that can help solve the obesity epidemic AND combat our dependence on foreign oil:

And before anyone, ever again, says that it's too inconvenient to cycle where they live, let me play you a sad song on the tiniest violin. I live in one of the coldest states in the US, and in one of the hilliest parts of that state, and still bicycle year round.

Style
    Kendo, Krotty
    My Fatasses Anonymous group is called the Sixth Street Gym, and our Yes We Can is "Sprawl you fat bastard! Do it faster!"

As a big chunky fucker myself, I have no sympathy for fat people at all; The scorn we receive is well deserved. I'm possibly one of the laziest fuckers imaginable, and yet I'm still exercising and, slowly, losing weight, so no one else has any excuse.

Style
    MMA / BJJ / Judo
    I cant understand what the **** is wrong with everyone. When i went to intermediate (middle) school we had to run 5km every morning before lessons. In high school we had one half day a week dedicated to physical education. This whole thing annoys the hell out of me. Parents don't want little Johhny to run because "he doesn't like it". Too fuckin bad. It develops healthy habits and a good work ethic. It should be compulsory for all kids now just like it was for me.

And stop feeding them ****. Learn to cook proper food you fat fuckers. It is your responsibility as a parent to pass on a healthy lifestyle to your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by cam4276 View Post
    I cant understand what the **** is wrong with everyone. When i went to intermediate (middle) school we had to run 5km every morning before lessons. In high school we had one half day a week dedicated to physical education. This whole thing annoys the hell out of me. Parents don't want little Johhny to run because "he doesn't like it". Too fuckin bad. It develops healthy habits and a good work ethic. It should be compulsory for all kids now just like it was for me.
    Parents don't like to see their kids fail.

Read that: Parents don't want to deal with kids failing and put forth the work and effort to build their child and improve them, they would rather tear down the rest and make a level playing field of mediocrity.

Style
    Univ. Florida Kickboxing
    PDS Rifles
    I group this together with:

1. mediocre artists who are always complaining about "how society just wants pop art" that are "superficial, sell-outs, fake, etc" and not "genuine art" that they enjoy making and feel passionate about and how it does not reward them finacially when it was more noble for them to pursue their passion.
    If you are an artist who STFsU, works hard to get good, doesn't care if people like or dislike your art, OR if you are a in a techinical or commercial field that applies art, this does not apply to you.

What the **** have those assholes contributed to the productive society? Other people are factory workers, policemen, farmers, white collar people, etc, grinding and doing **** they don't enjoy and ADDING TANGIBLE VALUE to society. Sit back down and more art that makes the tired, bored, stressed populus happy, please.

Fat people are the same way in some respects. Burdening us all. Taking seats away in airplanes. Smelling. Sure, some outliers who probably find it much harder to get unfat. ex: people on depression meds for a genuine problem, whose side effects are increased appetite. things like that. But if people are just lazy, **** them. Thanks for making all of our shoulders heavier.

/random rant off

Page 2 of 18 First 12345612 ... Last