Page 11 of 18 First ... 789101112131415 ... Last
    Style
    Ronin wannabe
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    +1 to EternalRage.

As much as agree with everyone that people need to take individual responsibility (and for their kids too, if they have them), there are much bigger factors at work than simply ignorance and laziness. Billions of dollars are spent every year to market the most unhealthy substances in the world to Americans and people the world over. Why? Because it works. The entire fast food industry continually feeds itself (no pun intended) with a cycle of fatty kids who grow up to be fatty parents who raise fatty kids.

All of the addiction, the indoctrination, ignorance, laziness; they're all connected. If we wanna solve this issue (and yes, we really do want to), we can't look for a single, quick-fix solution (much like the fatties can't either). We need to tackle this on the individual education level, the corporate level, and the socio-economic-political level. Leave one alone, and the problem will persist.
    Not to mention, the psychological level. The reason "just putting down the hamburger" doesn't work as a weight loss tool is because eating becomes and addiction, as others have mentioned.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironcastknight View Post
    I ate and drank myself to 350 pounds in a depressive funk fueled by self hatred and suicidal rage as well, which I'm still working hard to recover from, so I don't have any goddamned pity there either.

Still, I agree with your second point, and I will admit that, just maybe, it might be better to help the turdball rather than just rolling him into the wilderness and leaving him with five gallons of water and a twenty pound sack of carrots and five pounds of potatoes or pampering the big fat bastard with a legion of tenders, constant food, constant cleaning, and a PlayStation.
    maybe developing some pity and empathy for people that may or may not cope with something you may or may not one day fully cope with might actually INCREASE your fucking odds of transcending it?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i still think that the first thing that needs to happen with our obesity crisis is to give eating **** foods the same stigma as huffing paint thinner or sniffing glue.

contain the problem, minimize it's spread, treat the afflicted, ???, profit.

Style
    BJJ, JJJ, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll reiterate a point I made earlier: one portion of society more loathesome than the obese are those with eating disorders and anorexia.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironcastknight View Post
    ... just rolling him into the wilderness and leaving him with five gallons of water and a twenty pound sack of carrots and five pounds of potatoes ...
    finally someone looking out for the poor starving wolves!

but i'm confused, wolves don't really like carrots and potatoes...
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

You have to work the look. supporting member
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    finally someone looking out for the poor starving wolves!

but i'm confused, wolves don't really like carrots and potatoes...
    I think it's a bit like when I worked in a restaurant in Scotland. Every order went out with some salad on the side, despite the fact that it always came back untouched.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It pains me to say this, but with Pop Tarts advertising their product as "All-Natural", High Fructose Corn Syrup trying to market itself as a health product, and every sugar laden **** cereal saying it's "part of a nutritious breakfast"...the government might have to get involved to crack down on the lies being advertised.

Style
    Zheng Manqing/Chen TJQ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysol View Post
    It pains me to say this, but with Pop Tarts advertising their product as "All-Natural", High Fructose Corn Syrup trying to market itself as a health product, and every sugar laden **** cereal saying it's "part of a nutritious breakfast"...the government might have to get involved to crack down on the lies being advertised.
    Problem is, a lot of this crap passes gvt standards to be marketed as such (that is not to say that some of them don't duck under the veil of obscurity.)

But come the **** on, who's dumb enough to assume that pop tarts are anything along the lines of healthy? It would take some hard un-educating for people to fall for that.

Vegetables, meat, eggs, other raw foods, are cheaper than the packaged, processed crap any given day. There are thousands of online recepies to provide cooking variety. In my eyes, only the extremely uneducated have the excuse of ignorance. Everyone else is just a lazy bastard unwilling to admit they have a problem (this excludes those who are making a genuine effort but for various reasons fail.)
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee View Post
    Vegetables, meat, eggs, other raw foods, are cheaper than the packaged, processed crap any given day.
    Wrong, especially in urban areas in the US, some of which aren't sufficiently serviced by supermarkets or large grocers. In many places, the choices are the fast food joints or the tiny corner shop with high prices and small, low-quality, selection. (And the small shops aren't cruelly marking up their merchandise; they simply don't have the market power to demand high discounts or deal with inventory loss from spoilage.)

Poor people in the US are less likely to have motor vehicles as well, and US cities tend to have awful mass transit alternatives. So, it becomes difficult to get to the supermarket five-ten miles away on the highway, but easy to stop at any of the seven fast food joints on the way and get the cheapest thing on the menu. Ultimate price is a function of access and time spent gathering food. This is as true in St. Louis, MO in 2009 as it was on the savannahs 100,000 years ago.

Heck, my own diet has changed significantly depending on where I live. Today, I live two blocks from a Whole Foods. When I lived in Jersey City, I had to walk 1.5 miles one way to shop at a supermarket, and that market closed at 9PM. So of course I would often stop at a convenience store instead, as there were a couple close by. More expensive, lower quality, but they were open 24 hours a day; I didn't have to cut an hour or two out of my day to keep myself working (I worked from home at the time.)

On the off-chance that the bullshido ethos of looking at evidence actually trumps the "haw haw, fatties are fatsos, lol" knee-jerk reactions of several high school students and arrested adolescents, here are a couple studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1636719/
    http://www.npc.umich.edu/news/events...al_revised.pdf

Here's a more politicized documentónot peer-reviewed but rather created by a think thank, about the UK's version of the issue: http://tinyurl.com/ygoec9c (goes to a books.google.com link)

Page 11 of 18 First ... 789101112131415 ... Last