Style
    Various Chinese Styles
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lifelong Kung Fu Student / Former Marine Officer New To the Site

Hi all good hearted warriors of this incredible forum. My name is Aaron, and I just discovered this site after finding that it is the only one making progress in the situatiuon of the Bobbie Joe Blythe incident. I have been a student of the Martial Arts since I was eight with an emphasis on traditional Chinese styles. After reading several posts and threads, I think I have found another addition to my daily internet forum rounds.

I live here in Costa Rica, but am an American citizen. I operate my consulting business from here after retiring my commission with the United States Marine Corps. I made it to the rank of Captain (O3) before retiring and don't regret the decision or a millisecond of my service. I am married to a Costa Rican woman (Tica) who gives Jessica Alba a run for her money in looks and Mrs. Butterworth in sweetness.

I look forward to many intellectual discussions of the Martial Arts and life in general. Thank the moderators for allowing me to join and all of you in advance for taking my observations with a grain of salt. God Bless you all and you are all credit to the arts you represent!

Style
    MT noob, BJJ even noober
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, Aaron. So you're living the high life down in Costa Rica, eh? Can't fault a man for that! :happy:

You'll find a decent amount of military folks around here, both active duty and retired [including quite a few Devil Dogs]. Also, you can send a private message to a staff member, verify your service, and be granted a "Military" tag. You've probably also seen a few of those since you've been reading around a bit.

Also, there is a sub-forum specifically for the discussion of CMAs, which you might enjoy. Just click the "Traditional Style Forums" tab at the top of your screen and you'll see it on the following page. I'm not a CMA practitioner, but I think that there are often a few really interesting threads going on in there at any one time.

Also, make sure to read the Noobie FAQ that's stuck at the top of the Newbietown forum for some helpful pointers and remember that you can post in Newbietown (and should, really) at first before you're ready to take the plunge into some of the other forums. If in doubt, post in Newbietown.

Welcome again.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido mooshoo82.

Semper Fi.

Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome!

I have a question for you! I'm shipping off to Parris Island on 10/19. I'm doing the Reserves for now, because I thought I wanted a college degree, and to be an officer. I'm rethinking that plan, now.

I want to make the Marine Corps my career, for lots of reasons. Would you suggest getting a degree now, and doing OCS ASAP, or going active enlisted, and just working towards a degree while I'm in? Would you recommend being an officer?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Style
    TKMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Welcome!

I have a question for you! I'm shipping off to Parris Island on 10/19. I'm doing the Reserves for now, because I thought I wanted a college degree, and to be an officer. I'm rethinking that plan, now.

I want to make the Marine Corps my career, for lots of reasons. Would you suggest getting a degree now, and doing OCS ASAP, or going active enlisted, and just working towards a degree while I'm in? Would you recommend being an officer?
    3moose1, while I wasn't military myself, my Dad retired from the USMC as a Major after being enlisted in the Navy. I believe that he would have recommended getting you degree and becoming an officer as soon as possible.

Obviously the opinion of a civilian doesn't carry much weight, but there's always the pay scale to consider: http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/militarypaytables.html

Either way you go, much respect to you for becoming a Marine.
    Last edited by Vodalus; 8/24/2009 2:05pm at . Reason: spelling and clarity

Style
    Various Chinese Styles
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Welcome!

I think you are absolutely on the right track! In my experience the officers who are most respected are the ones that come from the enlisted ranks. And as a Reservist, you will have the time to attend the necessary schooling to qualify for OCS. This is of course if your unit has not already been activated for duty in either Iraq or Afghanistan. Have you confirmed with your recruiter that this is not the case?

After P.I., you are looking at going to Camp Lejune for your Warrior Training and then on to your primary MOS school. You should expect this to take at least a year, perhaps a year and a half depending on your MOS. If you chose a combat or combat support MOS, you should really be prepared to be switched to active duty as the man power is sorely needed in both theaters.

But I think you are on the right track if all goes to plan. Some pieces of advice I would like to give you though if you plan on going on to Quantico.

1.) DON'T get what's sometimes referred to as "Squad Bay Fever". This is comparable to Cabin Fever in that you need to expect alot of times where you and your platoon / company will be doing literally nothing with the exception of PT, drills, and other training. There will be a crapload of peer pressure to do stupid things to relieve this boredom. Avoid getting into trouble with this as it can easily take you out of the running for anything other than the enlisted track. That is not to say to be a pariah, snitch, or wall flower but be sure to keep your nose clean because your Lt., and Col's opinion of you will be the ultimate deciding factor in moving on the Quantico.

2.) Don't get any tattoos. You will find that the brass and enlisted ranks are completely different cultures, and a bunch of ink mess is looked down upon.

3) Read, read, read...the more knowledge you can contribute to any situation sets you apart from everyone else. DON'T be a "Brainy Smurf" and intentionally one-up your peers, but be knowledgeable.

4.) Study everything you can in regards to military leadership and follow the best examples of the maritime service traditions. I highly recommend Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey-Maturin series of books, the first of which was adapted into the film Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. O'Brien captured officer life and traditions expertly.

5.) Try and stay single. I know that sounds cold, but you will have all the time in the world to find a wife after you have that steel on your collar. And believe me when I say that once it's there, you will be like a bleeding mouse in a piranha tank.

That's really all I can think of at the moment. You should be proud of the decision you have made, the Corps is a lifestyle that few will ever know. There will be boredom and stress, but you won't remember that when you ultimately retire (I don't). And stay on that officer track! The food rocks! PM me if you have any other questions, and Semper Fi!

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    MCMAP, Judo, sex appeal
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all that advice!

I have one tattoo, on my shoulder, which isn't visible in short sleeved uniforms. I'm an 03-11, and my reserve unit hasn't been activated, though I was told by the Gunny that we will be deployed at least once.

Its a weapons company, and as the one of the only two 03-11s in the company, (the rest are heavy machine gunners/mortar men/etc) I'll be getting a humvee license, and will be charged with "bodyguarding the CO". I take that as being the CO's chauffeur, only in fancier terms.

How difficult will it be for me to get into OCS? Could you tell me a little bit about the training there, and indeed, the application process?

Thank you again, for all your help!

Make sure you get your military tag, too. You'll have to show a site admin a copy of your dd-214, I believe.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey