Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

In my first 5 days here, I have learned..

...that whatever I thought I knew about martial arts, means ****-all.

I went from confident, to being torn a new one, to being disillusioned, to being reborn.

If there are any other noobs joining that want to start an MA, here's some advice that I can offer (given my limited experience).

Things that I have learned so far, include:

You have to do proper research to find out what style is right for you.
    You can't just walk into the first school and join up if it looks nice and the sales pitch is exactly what you want to hear.

Since joining Bullshido, I've participated in a San Shou class and I've arranged to go and take a free JuJitsu class in my area. I've also gotten in contact with the South African Judo association and contacted the instructor in my neighbourhood. Still waiting to hear back from him.

In the San Shou class, I was up against guys that have been doing it for a while, and even though they held back and went at the same pace as what I went, I still got my "ass kicked". There was one particular incident where I got punched right in the face. It's sure as hell not the same as running through drills and hand applications that I do in my current class.

I loved the San Shou. I enjoyed take-downs (got shown 2) and the bagwork that I did.

So, next up is the JJ class.

Just because you're sweaty after a class, doesn't mean that you've had a good session.
    If my classes were an hour and a half, to two hours, I'd be more ok with this. We spend about 25min running around, doing pushups, doing situps and various other fitness exercises. The rest is spent doing striking/kicking drills and forms. If we're lucky, we get to hand applications (partner striking/blocking exercises). The last class we didn't even get to the latter. So what did I learn? How to do a different type of push-up? I should have been sparring with my partner or doing bag-work to try and build some striking power.

Unless your thing is fitness, I'd suggest staying away from schools/dojos like these. Like I got told on my first day here, if you want to get fit, join a gym.

You should be graded (if you're in a grading system) on your technique
    I'm being graded on pushups and situps and other exercises, as well as forms and some striking drills.
    This, for me, is bullshit. If guy x can do the amount of pushups but I can't (my knees drop) I get less points or fail my grading. But what if my technique is better? I understand the fitness is very VERY important, but, ****, surely executing a strike or a combo is more important, since you're learning a martial art?

_ing _un and ninjitsu are treated like red-headed stepchildren on the forum.
    Probably because a lot of schools training or claiming to train these styles are bullshido.

Well, that's it for now.

Once again, I'm glad I joined.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very encouraging to see you looking critically at your training. Not sure if you should be getting punched in the face on your first day though... what kind of gear are you using?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to hear your mind is open and your ego is gone!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Very encouraging to see you looking critically at your training. Not sure if you should be getting punched in the face on your first day though... what kind of gear are you using?
    I just had a pair of gloves on from the school, as it was a tryout.

The guy that punched me in the face, I found out later, is relatively new to the class as well and doesn't always control himself properly.

In that sparring session we were supposed to punch above waist, below neck, and I kinda ducked into a block, but didn't keep my defense up.

My fault, or his?

The more senior guy that I sparred with was really encouraging and didn't try to make an example of me.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't listen to War Wheel, first day face punching is just fine. Obviously you weren't KOed or had your face smashed in, so a good solid tap in the noggin to let you know what's what is exactly what you needed.

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe, I actually thought at that moment "YES, THIS IS REAL! THIS IS WHAT I WANT!"

I mean, in a proper street/club fight you're going to get punched in face. And if you're opponent is strong, it's going to be hard and it's going to hurt.
    There's no standing and bowing and then going into Crane or Tiger.

He did sock me good; I had to take some painkillers before I went to sleep as I had a bit of whiplash. Which means I have to do some exercises to get my neck strong.

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting punched in the face once in a while is good, keeps you humble.
    Getting hit that hard you have a bit of whip lash can mean your training partners have some control issues. Rest up, heal, strengthen the neck, back and general core to help absorb impacts.

Don't forget our Physical Training, Diet, and Health Forum
    Physical Training, Diet, and Health Forum - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

I'm glad you're moving away from Wing Chun quickly. I wasted three years in it when I was a teenager and it's hard for me to discuss it neutrally.
    Hope to see you keep posting.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Don't listen to War Wheel, first day face punching is just fine. Obviously you weren't KOed or had your face smashed in, so a good solid tap in the noggin to let you know what's what is exactly what you needed.
    Let me be completely clear about what I mean: I don't think 1st day n00bs should be sparring SanDa. If your coach thinks you need to be socked in the eye, that's one thing. N00b spaz in striking is even more of a problem than it is in grappling.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    Let me be completely clear about what I mean: I don't think 1st day n00bs should be sparring SanDa.
    I do. The issue is what he described, controlled tone and the right partner.
    The coach screwed up by putting him with a known gym idiot.

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just as a side-note; I talked about the San Shou in my "WC Beginner" thread; the school that I went to try out San Shou is not the one that I actually want to go train at.

The try-out class is a lot closer to home and free, so I gave it a go. From observing the other class at the school I'm keen to go train at I saw that the partner-pairing during sparring is much more level-based, i.e. beginner with a beginner, intermediate with intermediate.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last