Style
    JJ

"Hard" Sparring? Please elaborate.

I have read a couple of posts with bullies claiming how they do "hard" sparring.

My question is, what exactly is the intensity level for this type of sparring? (75%? 100%?) If it is 100%, would that not lead to unnecessary injuries/concussions and such every other week? Or do you mean 'full speed', but not full power/intensity, which would make more sense.

Also, what type of arts are you practicing "hard" sparring with? Do you mean BJJ / wrestling / grappling hard sparring, where you go for take-downs full force and such. Or do you mean striking arts, and punching/kicking with full power.

I do not really see the merit in striking someone with full force during sparring, and doing so on a regular basis. I'm sure it does toughen you up though.

P.S - I am just genuinely curious, and am not questioning / attacking your methods of training and/or integrity.

Style
    Muay Thai
    when we spar hard its basically hitting fast, hard strikes, but without the intent to KO. maybe 85% power. full contact sparring is a bit of a misnomer usually that causes stupid run about arguements.

I do not really see the merit in striking someone with full force during sparring, and doing so on a regular basis. I'm sure it does toughen you up though.
    If you never get hit hard in training, then when it happes for real your training will fall to ****.

Style
    CMA, MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post

If you never get hit hard in training, then when it happes for real your training will fall to ****.
    My black eye and headache right now can attest.

Style
    BJJ, Judo & Boxing
    Full contact: 100% speed and force, attempting to K.O, kick the legs so hard they can't stand, etc. As you would do in a real fight or a tournament.

Hard contact: 75 - 85% speed and force, not trying to K.O or kick the legs so hard they can't stand. Still hitting them hard in the face, kicking their legs/torso/head pretty damn hard, and moving fast.

It isn't the real thing, but it emulates the real thing as best as possible without causing too many injuries or concussions.

Style
    Bits and pieces
    The idea is to replicate the intensity of a real fight, whether competitive or in a self defense situation. The frequency of "full contact" sparring varies, some do it every session, some once a week some once a month etc. Also, if you're wearing the correct gear (Sparring gloves, shin guards, headgear and possibly a body protector), you should be able to go 80%+ without worrying about killing someone.