Page 6 of 14 First ... 2345678910 ... Last
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gorilla View Post
    I'm still reeling from someone actually getting hurt at an aikido dojo! It's a bit like getting assaulted at a ballroom dancing class.

The whole point of aikido is it is for delusional people who want to pretend to fight and not actually get hurt or do anything that might involve fighting. Actually getting hurt in one has to be a tad unfortunate.
    Ironically enough, the injury rate in the Aikido-like 'JJJ' I used to was pretty high. Balistic application of joint-locks to unresisting subjects has plenty that can go wrong...

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still reeling from someone actually getting hurt at an aikido dojo! It's a bit like getting assaulted at a ballroom dancing class.

The whole point of aikido is it is for delusional people who want to pretend to fight and not actually get hurt or do anything that might involve fighting. Actually getting hurt in one has to be a tad unfortunate.

More here.

Style
    Aikido/Judo/BJJ/Naginata
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'd have to say that my Aikido training is more physically punishing (not demanding) than my Judo and BJJ.

You take way more falls per class than you do in either Judo or BJJ (Aikido is predominately Nage Komi whereas Judo is mostly Uchi Komi). Also, the throws are different. Most Aikido throws you are unsupported as you are basically either being propelled away or falling to prevent joint damage. But most Judo throws have the guy holding onto you at the end and can soften the throw because of this.

Joint locks are almost always applied before submission in Aikido as well (think about when you practice wrist locking technique). In Judo and BJJ it's pretty certain when the other guy has lost so there's no need to actually apply any pressure to the joint.

And don't get me started on the toe and knee pains associated with Suwari Waza/Hanmi Handachi.

Style
    Judo noob and, erm, chess
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No way...

Quote Originally Posted by RaiNnyX4 View Post
    I'd have to say that my Aikido training is more physically punishing (not demanding) than my Judo and BJJ.

You take way more falls per class than you do in either Judo or BJJ (Aikido is predominately Nage Komi whereas Judo is mostly Uchi Komi). Also, the throws are different. Most Aikido throws you are unsupported as you are basically either being propelled away or falling to prevent joint damage. Waza/Hanmi Handachi.
    I am genuinely surprised at the deaths and serious injuries if the document above is correct.

Particularly as no-one is throwing anyone else in aikido. The throwee voluntarily propels him/herself through the air onto the mat.

This means the individuals who were injured or died in the above reference document were not thrown. Rather, they beat themselves to death for aikido (or suffered serious injury) which is insane.

These posts have been tremendously educational. I am beginning to understand the thought processes behind this rather strange practice. I could never understand the mentality because no aikido practitioner can throw me if I resist (and therefore, what's the point). However, I am only just beginning to understand how far the mindset goes.

And in answer to the poster - no, they're definitely not assholes but they are pretty strange.
    Last edited by Big Gorilla; 5/26/2009 5:30pm at . Reason: Answering the original poster

International Man of Pancakes
    Style
    Wu style tcc+bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My brother brought back a video of a guy getting his arm broken in Aikido. I forget the name of the technique, but it was a pin. You are supposed to tap, but the guy put the lock on too tight and too fast.

My brother ended up with some problems in his knees--more from the intensity of the training than anything else. Mind you this is Yoshinkan Aikido, trained at the headquarters in Tokyo. Those guys have earned a reputation for training hard.

As for throwing yourself... Yes and no. In some cases, you essentially flip yourself to avoid something worse (if applied correctly). In other cases, I would say it is a legitimate throw.

I didn't train for very long... I found Aikido wasn't for me. However, I did get a decent idea of Yoshinkan and knew a number of people who trained in Japan. I can't really speak for other styles of Aikido.
    :pancakebu
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Style
    Aikido, bits of jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am genuinely surprised at the deaths and serious injuries if the document above is correct.

Particularly as no-one is throwing anyone else in aikido. The throwee voluntarily propels him/herself through the air onto the mat.

This means the individuals who were injured or died in the above reference document were not thrown. Rather, they beat themselves to death for aikido (or suffered serious injury) which is insane.

These posts have been tremendously educational. I am beginning to understand the thought processes behind this rather strange practice. I could never understand the mentality because no aikido practitioner can throw me if I resist (and therefore, what's the point). However, I am only just beginning to understand how far the mindset goes.

And in answer to the poster - no, they're definitely not assholes but they are pretty strange.
    This is a major problem with a lot of improper practise, not just in aikido, which shiai sorts out. If you throw yourself as uke then you rob both yourself and tori of the chance to train. I can think of very few things more frustrating than have uke 'tank', with the exception of uke tanking and me, as nage, not realising it.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe View Post
    As for throwing yourself... Yes and no. In some cases, you essentially flip yourself to avoid something worse (if applied correctly). In other cases, I would say it is a legitimate throw.
    :pancakebu
    No aikido practitioner can throw me if I don't allow them to. :beatdead: The injuries documented in this post (if they are real) occurred because the participants repeatedly and voluntarily threw themselves onto a mat, accidentally beating themselves to death. I find this mildly entertaining and is the kind of thing that would attract good ratings on cable.

Returning to the thread, I was merely suggesting that aikido types are not assholes as the original poster suggested. Instead, thanks to the aikido posters pointing me in the right direction, it is clear they are self-deluded S&M exponents.

All that's missing is the funny clothes, predominantly male environment and sets of obscure rules designed to enhance the sub / dom experience.

Style
    Aikido,Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No aikido practitioner can throw me if I don't allow them to. :beatdead: The injuries documented in this post (if they are real) occurred because the participants repeatedly and voluntarily threw themselves onto a mat, accidentally beating themselves to death. I find this mildly entertaining and is the kind of thing that would attract good ratings on cable.

Returning to the thread, I was merely suggesting that aikido types are not assholes as the original poster suggested. Instead, thanks to the aikido posters pointing me in the right direction, it is clear they are self-deluded S&M exponents.

All that's missing is the funny clothes, predominantly male environment and sets of obscure rules designed to enhance the sub / dom experience.
    It's a safe bet that you don't need to worry about wearing your bike helmet.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    It's a safe bet that you don't need to worry about wearing your bike helmet.
    No, I'll wear my leather chaps with the holes cut out for the buttocks.

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No aikido practitioner can throw me if I don't allow them to.
    Allow me to drop a bit of skepticism here:

Video or it didn't happen.

The injuries documented in this post (if they are real) occurred because the participants repeatedly and voluntarily threw themselves onto a mat, accidentally beating themselves to death.
    The source is in the link I posted: Nihon Budo Gakkai Gakujutsushi. (Scientific Journal of Japanese Martial Arts Studies), volume 21, No. 1, 1988.

Of course you could publish your article debunking the japanese one. I suggest the "Journal of Sports Science and Medicine" or "Electronic Journals of Martial Arts and Sciences". Surely it will be worth reading.

Page 6 of 14 First ... 2345678910 ... Last