Page 12 of 14 First ... 2891011121314 Last
  1. #111

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    windsor UK
    Posts
    337
    Style
    aikido, medieval fencing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Excellent post; I agree, this is the heart of the dialogue here.

    I would argue that the term Aikido includes both pre-war and post-war Aikido. That is to say, it includes martial aikido (which is kept alive today by stylists in the form of Yoshinkan and the judo-aikido tournament blend) and "way of peace", literally a physical philosophy instead of a combat art.

    Yet, even the philosophy-of-peace aikido has the dim remnants of real hip throws, armbars, shoulder throws, and palm strikes to the face. It's totally ineffective in both form and practice at that flowing-exercise extreme, but the waza still relates to (points to?) useful technique.
    Amen to that.
    In the philosophy-of-peace aikido waza is still the same but the conditions in with it is applied is have no practical value.
    I think it does a good job at decomposing the wasa, and may be that was the original purpose of doing things that way.

    Phil

  2. #112

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    37
    Style
    Judo noob and, erm, chess
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Considering I'm used to throw resisting opponents in BJJ free sparring I don't feel I have to remove my skepticism about my throwing skills with a judo noob.

    If you are going to challenge me, you travel here. Bullshido gonsau rules are clear.

    I don't know about english aikido practitioners willing to throw down.

    Well, I throw people who resist and fight back with my aikido skills.

    Aikido has nothing with buddhism other than the fact there are aikido practitioners who are buddhists, but there are also muslims, christians, atheists...

    On buddhism and beating people: Ask DerAuslander.

    ROFLMAO
    GONG SAU!!!!!!!! :toothy9: I cannot turn down the mention of a Gong Sau 'freefight' without losing face (it's a Cantonese thing). Rules may be an issue but thank you for the suggestion of going to you. We will find our Gong Sau Wong.

    Gong Sau in my mother's language is a fight saying 'put your money where your mouth is.' In my father's language it's a bit different but Chinese are matriachal so I'll go with that. Incidentally, try to not to tell Chinese people about buddhism because it's a bit like telling a Spanish person about chorizo.

    We're both in the same age group (although I'm better looking) and as you say I am just a little judo noob with no belts or recorded fights. You have kickboxing, brown belt in TKD, blue belt BJJ and black belt aikido on your profile (I'm presuming it's a black belt you're wearing but I can't really see it in the picture) and it should be a walk in the park for you.

    You considerably outweigh me in terms of rank, ability, experience and clearly you believe you are more knowledgable. You might also be taller from the photograph but it's difficult to tell.

    However, I will put my money where my mouth is.

    If you are happy to accept standard UFC rules, I'll go to you to Gong Sau. Give me some dates and a location and I'll happily be there. Due to the travel involved (1500 miles) and the usual commitments, I will naturally need a selection of dates you are available over the next 3 months. If what you have written is true, you should beat me extremely quickly. Referee, location, cameraman and selection of dates of your choice.

    I can't wait...
    Last edited by Big Gorilla; 5/29/2009 9:06am at . Reason: Gong Sau!!! If you are suggesting it...

  3. #113

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    382
    Style
    Judofitness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978 View Post
    You basically feel heaiver/stronger. Most people who feel me in BJJ swear im 25lbs heaver than I am. Since you have less slack in your body and you aren't using the musculature to push back, you become harder to throw. You can generate power from unusal angles. Your opponent won't feel you pushing/pulling on them.
    You can use your imagination any apply that to any waza.

    Study judo kata with someone who understands these skills and you will learn exactly how to do it.
    Basically you're saying, "You will learn how to play good judo if you practice many many years with a good instructor and good training partners".

    I don't think this is a novel concept around here.

    Your description of the "feeling" you get when you lay hands on someone who's highly skilled is okay, but I think you're still under the illusion that there's some "truth" out there that can be wrote, explained and communicated like you do with a mathematic theorem. This is not the case as the answer is ALWAYS "train more and better", or maybe "In your next life, start practicing at an earlier age and dedicate more years to studying it". Some peaks of technical prowess just aren't at everybody's reach, and are usually reverse-engineered --because we want to know how they did it, not because then we can do it just by knowing how they did. (sorry, English.)
    Last edited by creativo; 5/29/2009 10:22am at .

  4. #114
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,552
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gorilla View Post
    GONG SAU!!!!!!!! :toothy9: I cannot turn down the mention of a Gong Sau 'freefight' without losing face (it's a Cantonese thing). Rules may be an issue but thank you for the suggestion of going to you. We will find our Gong Sau Wong.

    Gong Sau in my mother's language is a fight saying 'put your money where your mouth is.'
    I'm not interested in semantics, proper use of chinese lenguage nor in making this **** something personal or about 'saving face in the intardwebs'. You said you're impervious to aikido throws. I say you are not. If you feel the need to change my opinion about the subject then you'll need to move here so we both step on the mat. Call it gongsau, challenge, duel, glorified sparring session, whatever...

    We're both in the same age group (although I'm better looking)
    This is not a beauty contest.

    You have kickboxing, brown belt in TKD, blue belt BJJ and black belt aikido on your profile (I'm presuming it's a black belt you're wearing but I can't really see it in the picture) and it should be a walk in the park for you.
    It is a stripped white belt.

    You considerably outweigh me in terms of rank, ability, experience and clearly you believe you are more knowledgable. You might also be taller from the photograph but it's difficult to tell.
    1.65 m. tall 65 kg weight.

    However, I will put my money where my mouth is.
    Glad to know.

    If you are happy to accept standard UFC rules, I'll go to you to Gong Sau.
    No problem with the ruleset.

    Give me some dates and a location and I'll happily be there. Due to the travel involved (1500 miles) and the usual commitments, I will naturally need a selection of dates you are available over the next 3 months. If what you have written is true, you should beat me extremely quickly. Referee, location, cameraman and selection of dates of your choice.
    Understood. I'll PM you early next week with details about location, hotels in the area, gym schedule, et c. so you can start your travel plan.

    See you.
    Last edited by DCS; 5/29/2009 4:42pm at .

  5. #115

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    37
    Style
    Judo noob and, erm, chess
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. I am genuinely impressed. Look forward to seeing you.

  6. #116

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    124
    Style
    Kung Fu combat wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wristlocks don't work on me since I took BJJ

  7. #117

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    124
    Style
    Kung Fu combat wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Australian towns look just like the United States

  8. #118
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,552
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gorilla View Post
    I am genuinely impressed.
    Why?

    Man, you have been given video proof of Aikido throws working in alive environments, from Sumo to MMA (including Aikido tournaments). Then you moved the goalposts from the tecnical aspects of Aikido throws to the pseudo-philosopy about Aikido you found googleing around and proceed to issue a challenge to a guy 1500 miles away from your home because disagrees with you...

    Really, what do you want? Myself posting here something like "Big Gorilla is always right because he says so or he will travel to kick your ass"? Something like this is going to make you more knowledgeable and skilled? I think not.

  9. #119

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,593
    Style
    Judo Sandbagger
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Thread about Aikidoka being the biggest Jerks (posted by a temp-banned n00b) will prove an Asian Britain Judoka will look like a big Jerk and can be thrown in Aikido throws. Okay and why?

    And over a chinese phrase in the english language.
    So does that mean if I say "Yo mamma ..." jokes, you to save face would have to come over to Canada and throw down the gauntlet. Wow. just Wow. Why are you not in Prison already?

    Your mama is so ugly on the ugly scale she became hawt again. Woof>!!!

    So on your world domination tour when do I get my Jrong Zohw!!!

    Power to you BigG. Pax Britanica. You are here for the summer and having fun, so have at it.

  10. #120

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    856
    Style
    Aunkai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by creativo View Post
    Basically you're saying, "You will learn how to play good judo if you practice many many years with a good instructor and good training partners".

    I don't think this is a novel concept around here.

    Your description of the "feeling" you get when you lay hands on someone who's highly skilled is okay, but I think you're still under the illusion that there's some "truth" out there that can be wrote, explained and communicated like you do with a mathematic theorem. This is not the case as the answer is ALWAYS "train more and better", or maybe "In your next life, start practicing at an earlier age and dedicate more years to studying it". Some peaks of technical prowess just aren't at everybody's reach, and are usually reverse-engineered --because we want to know how they did it, not because then we can do it just by knowing how they did. (sorry, English.)
    Well you have to understand I am a BJJ noob. I have done judo and wrestling in the past but it has been a number of years since then. I am not using any techniques from those arts, rather bodyskills developed inbetween training those arts and that is why I feel heavier than I am.

    This sort of thing is like taking up weight training and running and applying it to your chosen art.

Page 12 of 14 First ... 2891011121314 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in