Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Oom Yung Doe

Style
    none

Oom Yung Doe

Fellow Bullshidokas,

I imagine that some of you may be familiar with a chain of martial arts schools that goes under the name of Oom Yung Doe (aka Chung Moo Doe and Chung Moo Quan; hereafter to be shortened to OYD) that was started by John "Iron" Kim in the 1960s. If not, here is the wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oom_Yung_Doe.

To make it quick, OYD has been involved in:
    1) A multimillion dollar tax scheme.
    2) Continued efforts to sell "Chi Herbal" equipment for hard cash
    3) Teaches that it is the true form of Traditional Martial Arts out there with a Grandmaster who is "Champion of All Asia".
    4) Was linked to the death of a student several years ago. (i.e. a bloody severed arm was discovered by police)
    5) The list goes on.

I was involved in OYD for several years as a kid before I figured out what was really going. (Which actually only happened like 6 months ago.) Now that I've figured it out, I've done my best to try to get the word out. In fact, you will notice that I started and wrote the Wikipedia page on OYD, which formerly cited this very web site.

OYD has suffered some setbacks in recent years - what with the internet and all. However, it continues to do fairly well with schools in over seven states in the US. I am posting here in order to ask for advice and to make a few questions to those of you with more internet vigilante experience:

1) Is there any possibility that there could be a special place for OYD next to Ashida Kim on the Bullshido web site? It is only fair since I don't think even the Ashida has managed to do time for robbing the citizens of the U.S. for around 2 million.
    2) Do any of you know anything that has been done through your efforts, or the efforts of other people, to address schools like OYD?
    3) The Wikipedia site has been up for several months. Previously, it was moving up the Google rankings quite nicely. However, recently it has stalled somewhere around hit number 14 - which isn't even on the first page. What can be done to move it up?
    4) Is there anyone here with Wiki experience that can give me some relevant advice on how to improve the OYD Wikipedia article status. (By that I mean specific advice and examples, not links to extremely long, difficult-to-apply Wikipedia policies.)

Thanks to all of you in advance! I may not have been a member of Bullshido.com for long (actually this is my first post) but I believe that I have been a Bullshidoka at heart ever since I was burnt by the true power of the Bullshido.

-cjim63

You have to work the look. supporting member
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    I could imagine that if you have some well researched info on OYD, and you can back up what you say, there might just be a little bit of interest here. Oh yes indeed.

As a slight tangent I'd be interested in any info you have on this "chi herbal" stuff, what claims they were making, the sales tactics they used, etc.

Style
    none
    I actually have done a bit of research on OYD. So has the IRS, and the news, and the Rick Ross Freedom of Mind Center. Here is a nice primer video:

YouTube - Cult and the Con

So I believe that I can back it up.

As for the Chi herbal, there are actually three companies associated with OYD that sell herbal products. One that seems to target beauty saloons and what-not: http://www.chiformulas.com/ , one for athletes: http://www.chiherbal.com/ , and one for I-don't-know-who (maybe athletes again?) http://www.chiherbalcare.com/ . Note the oddly similar text, icons, and products.....

Here are some examples of claims they make:
    "These formulas have been used throughout the centuries by East Asian families of royalty to promote a healthier, longer and more youthful life. Throughout history, thousands of individuals have successfully experienced these herbal formulas, both safely and effectively. Now you can also."

I like this one too:
    "Unless you once lived as Ancient Royalty, it is not likely that you have ever experienced the powers of Chi Herbal Formulas. We present to you East Asia’s most coveted beauty and longevity formulas, which we have combined with modern technology in order to open the doors to the wisdom and practices of ancient royalty.

It is our greatest wish to share these highly respected methods of beauty and longevity, so that we are able to preserve the traditions and wisdom of the most revered doctors of East Asia and the members of Royalty who kept them thriving."

Style
    none
    And that is just part one of two videos!

Style
    xingyi
    Okay, this is old hat. OYD, has been destroyed on multiple forums and Yahoo groups.
    There is actually a book written that details how it is a cult.

*edit*
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...highlight=Yung

Style
    This and that
    Use this forum to air your grievances. Tell us your story.

You have to work the look. supporting member
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    I know it's old hat, but there doesn't seem to be a bullshido.org article on them. If this guy's got something, it's well written, and he owns the copyright, you might as well stick it up.

Style
    none
    Indeed it is is well known by people on the internet that are involved with web sites like "Bullshido." However, it isn't well known by the current and future customers of the 20+ OYD schools still functioning throughout the US, or the Spas that (they claim) are purchasing OYD herbal products right now.

I do have a story, but I am not really coming here for the therapeutic benefit of sharing it. Rather, I am more of an action oriented kind of person and would like to bring some justice. I was hoping that people could help me to actual have an impact on the OYD business. I.e. improve the page rank of the Wikipedia article so that future customers to learn about OYD before the sign on the dotted line. Maybe there is another forum for taking action against Bullshido martial arts?

So it is Old hat, but did you know that Opera featured a OYD practicioner on her show? Here it is:
    http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/oprah...ide_20080228/7

I am posting here to see if I can get some help in informing the Opera people - that is all of the normal people not currently involved in OYD, Bullshido (no disrepect to you all - after all I hope to learn from your work), Martial arts, etc. that already know this is old hat.

BTW I did know about the book and I've read it. Maybe if Opera doesn't have that on her book club list OYD wouldn't still be a succesful (semi-succesful) business.

Style
    xingyi
    The link I provided has the yahoo group that can help you better than bullshido. They have former students, instructors, etc etc etc.

So it is Old hat, but did you know that Opera featured a OYD practicioner on her show? Here it is:
    http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/oprah...ide_20080228/7
    See, the problem is did she mention OYD? Did she mention the products? Hey they say Tai Chi helps with aging.

People tend to leave out that moderate exercise helps just as well as Martial arts.

I am posting here to see if I can get some help in informing the Opera people - that is all of the normal people not currently involved in OYD, Bullshido (no disrepect to you all - after all I hope to learn from your work), Martial arts, etc. that already know this is old hat.
    See above. Unless, she was actually advertising the art they may not care.

BTW I did know about the book and I've read it. Maybe if Opera doesn't have that on her book club list OYD wouldn't still be a succesful (semi-succesful) business.
    That would be something you'd discuss if you contacted her show. That would be a good idea.

Also, it is Oprah not Opera.

Style
    none
    Maybe that wasn't very well worded. I don't actually expect you all to really do something. After all, internet groups like Anonymous are more of the go-getter sorts. Bullshido is more about discussing things in a civil fashion.

However, I saw someone who was a "Wikipedia Correspondent" on a thread here before. I was hoping to find one of those, or someone who knows how to improve google page rank. That would slow 'em down a bit. I figured you guys ought to know a bit about doing that sort of thing.

I also think someone should include OYD on the short list of super-Bullshido styles you guys have got. If OYD doesn't make the cut, I don't know what will.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last