Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last
    Style
    Kakutogi
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Monkey View Post
    Ronald Duncan, like all the other goof fromt he early 80s, followed the Ninja boom.

I know a few guys that remember Duncan from the 70s, whre he competed alot in point karate. At the time he was a karate man. Then of course the ninja boom hit and all of a sudden he was a Ninja. Then as time moved on he was an Aikijutsu guy.

Total fraud.
    On the NINJA part I would agree. As I mentioned before I seen him do Aikijutsu then years later he is doing NinjItsu but its the same thing just in a different uniform. So the NinjItsu is obviously balony. However, Duncan is an prime example of a Bullshidoka who does have skill.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Style
    BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    However, Duncan is an prime example of a Bullshidoka who does have skill.
    Yeah, but at what? Is is he strictly an Aikijutsu guy? Is the training alive?

I hate it when people say stuff like "he's tough" or "he can scrap" because by themselves those statements mean nothing. Was the guy ever a competitor? Did he win anything? Is there footage of him fighting? Who are these supposed "tough" students of his and what are their accomplishments?
    <insert witty comment>

Style
    NYC style
    Quote Originally Posted by rw4th View Post
    Yeah, but at what? Is is he strictly an Aikijutsu guy? Is the training alive?

I hate it when people say stuff like "he's tough" or "he can scrap" because by themselves those statements mean nothing. Was the guy ever a competitor? Did he win anything? Is there footage of him fighting? Who are these supposed "tough" students of his and what are their accomplishments?
    He has crossed trained in a lot of arts and hence it doesn't even seem like he is teaching a japanese art sometimes. For example ONE of the art he started training in was Kali he obviously doesn't claim to be a master at it but he did start to train in it furthermore

Ernie Cates (who is a 8th degree kodokan judo black belt however he doesnt teach judo he teaches his own style which he calls soemthing jitsu..I forget..but just google the name and you'll know is creds) has this to say about him :
    Sensei Ron Duncan studied judo, jujitsu and knife with me for 2 years. 1957-1959. He was an excellent martial arts student. He was in the same group of students at my dojo in Jacksonville, NC as Don Nagle, Jim Giles, Don Bohan, Rick Nemura, Bryan "Chick" Burk, Howard George-1960 Greco Roman Wrestling Olympic Champion. Pat Barris (who I taught from age 8-10 when he moved to the West Coast, Barris was twice Pan Am Judo Champion. All became famous in martial arts history. Ron Duncan is a pioneer in ninja history weaponry and tactics. He was and remains my friend to this day.
    Sensei Don Draeger was in the Shufu Yondanshikai. He was friends with John Anderson, Jim and Eddie Takamori, Tim Dalton, and Richard Hu. Draeger was a major in the Marine Corps. He was an East Coast Marine and well know in the Washington, Baltimore and Virginia areas in the 50's and 60's. In the 60's he retired in Japan and taught and played at the Kodokan.

Please take into account that back in 50's there were many military men at one point or another stationed in Japan. Many studied at the Kodokan and under strong Japanese Sensei's to gain their start in the martial arts. Certifications, awards and documentation was verbal, not written.

Martial arts began to gain popularity in the US in the early 60's and 70's with many sometimes realistic and sometimes imaginery backgrounds and histories. It was called marketing. Schools sprang up everywhere in the US and promotional ranks and certificates began to be awarded. Many schools attended tournaments and trophies, certificates and sometimes a cash purse was awarded.

After 58 years of being personally involved in the growth and development of martial arts and the formation of certifications, records and other applicable subjects. I find that each of us that is actively involved in today's development are the lineage. We now have certifications, modifications, and divisions of what used to be a closed door and jealous society of emerging martial arts styles and schools. I feel we should all pay particular attention to our own individual contributions to the multi-faceted world of martial arts and cease to critique, correct or critize the sometimes not so well documented past history of martial arts.

Here is a interview of Ronald Duncan
    http://www.bohans-family.com/sensei-...can-ron/rd.htm

Read it as you like. And make your own judgements.

HOWEVER as far as skills, he has them. Marketing..ur judgement

Quote Originally Posted by rw4th View Post
    You do realize that none of what you've said here means anything right? It's a bunch of hearsay and the type of stories that typically surround bullshit. What are his real ranks and accomplishments? Who are these "tough" students you keep talking about and what are their accomplishments?
    Wrong. I train with one of his top students and... I have given you the secret Bullshido handshake when I acknowledge points that are disturbing about Duncan. This should tell you that I am being impartial and that I have trained in his circles so have an informed opinion.

You want Duncan live? I had a standing challenge for anyone at anytime to hit me with any blow as hard as they wanted to any part of my body minus the throat and groin... they could also attack me with a knife anyway they wished.... I got th eidea fromt his challenge from Duncan's lineage via my teacher who had the same challenge issued... and yes people took me up on it, their choice usually was to use a training weapon... is that live enough for ya?

Looking at some of your comments... put down the koolade and stop using words that you are loading up. Words like "alive" have a purpose but not to simply throw out there cause it sounds so Bullshido cool like... Duncan would not have gotten a 500th as far as he did if he didn't train alive. Dude if you see the guys he trained and you go to schools where his students are located and watch what they do....He beat my teacher around the dojo... and I would love to see you ask Richard if he trains alive.

People tend in their haste to forget certain obvious realities in the martial arts: here is one of them, if you trained with and or in the same circles of a guy you have an informed opinion.
    Last edited by Dsimon3387; 7/17/2009 8:49pm at .
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Style
    BJJ
    Dsimon, that all may be true, but is there any evidence?

And for the record, I don't think your (paraphrased) assertions that 'the videos are awful and he's very secretive about his lineage, but everything else about him is phenomenal' can be construed as impartial.

Quote Originally Posted by Lv1Sierpinski View Post
    Dsimon, that all may be true, but is there any evidence?

And for the record, I don't think your (paraphrased) assertions that 'the videos are awful and he's very secretive about his lineage, but everything else about him is phenomenal' can be construed as impartial.

I didn't say everything else about him is phenominal I said his students are phenominal which is true. I don't personally care for Duncan's training, I wouldn't train with him, I don't even want to meet him. He is not secrative about his lineage he is not fotthcoming about it, he is living a lie of omission in some fiundamental respects and I don't condone that... my friend was kicked out of Duncan's presence for asking Ron about his Ninja claims... my friend an African American graduate student from Philly, no stranger to the Duncan clan at all.

May I put this politally as possible? You guys are lecturing me about anecdotal evidence as a type of evidence. Anecdiatal evidence often reaffirms other types of evidence. Yu will soon see an example of that on this very site regarding Duncan BTW. You can then ask the people involved how much I cajoled them with tales of how Duncan walks on water, etc.

I am not praising Duncan I am explaining my experience with him and it involves several non sequitors. One is the apparent ability of his students, the skills many people attest to that Duncan has, versus his sins of omission and his videos and his attitude at times. You guys just want group think: You want everybody to make it a black and white issue where Bullshido says Duncan is bad. It does not work that way feller, sorry. Duncan is a study in contrasts thats the bottom line
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Style
    BJJ
    I have little interest in which side of the 'fence' Bullshido puts Duncan, or any of his students.

Could you provide some more details of the tournament your students won when you were in college?

What it comes down to is that the stories that have thus far been presented fit the pattern, as far as I'm concerned, of many others that have trumped up the abilities of an individual, or of a group. Now I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone, but thus far it seems to be very vague: he's very tough, his students are very tough, all amazing fighters.

And I'd be interested to hear more about that standing challenge...and if anyone still has it going. There are a few folks on here that everyone would take as the only needed test to gauge martial skill.

Style
    NYC style
    YouTube - This is Ninjutsu, with resisting opponents, NO LARPING

this is a lil live resistance..The beginning is bad..it gets better by the middle. Watch the whole thing and judge for urselves. This is Duncan's students NOT duncan. But it is semi resistant training and much better than any other "ninjitsu" trainin (bujinkan)

I would really like to hear what people say about this tape:kermit:. I will say this: It is hardly a sterling endorsement. I respect the guys for putting it out there much respect for that honesty... I would not have for many reasons.

Style
    Kenkojuku Karate, Judo
    Haha, I have to take credit for at least the title. I made fun of one of his other videos that was just over-the-top laughably, bizarro-world awful. This one starts looking pretty decent, however, around 3:50.

Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last