Thread: Hello!

Style
    Trad Am Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello!

I am a longtime reader and I finally decided to create an account. My background is in Traditional American Karate. I trained under Sensei Floyd Burk at Trad Am Karate in Santee, CA. I now reside in Wichita, KS and I am looking to get into Martial Arts again. Any suggestions for good schools in Wichita?

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is Traditional American Karate? Are you set on sticking with karate? If so, there are a grip of schools in your area, and they seem spread around the city pretty evenly...so that's convenient. I am speaking with all the authority of Google, so I really can't speak to what's good. Don't be afraid to do some leg work by researching and seeing whats good and going with a really good school. I've found that, sometimes, a really good school trumps style choice.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

This forum is Noobie safe so for the time being feel free to post away, ask anything and generally get to know what goes on around the site where, we generally say...

Lurk more post less until you understand the policies within each of the forums we have here.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Traditional American Karate? Oxymoron? Well whatever, welcome to the circle jerk.

Style
    Trad Am Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the welcome!

Traditional American Karate is based on shorin-ryu, shotokan and kung fu and incorporates techniques from judo, jujutsu, aikido, American Karate, kenpo and kickboxing. We did some kata, but we did a lot of sparring, and the focus was on gaining fight 'intuition'.

I enjoyed karate, but I am really open to any martial art. I recently broke my ankle pretty badly and now have 3 plates and 18 screws in there. I have probably 95% of motion back, so I am hoping it won't bother me much.

I plan on checking out LaselvaMMA and Grace Wu Kung Fu. Tai Chi is something I am interested in because it would put less stress on my ankle.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think tai chi would but a **** ton of stress on your ankle, but I have absolutely no authority to make such a claim. Just seems like something that has really deep and complex stances. But damn, that's a lotta break in an ankle! Good luck with that ****.