Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Striking for Non-Strikers

I am primarily a grappler, but thinking about learning a striking art in order to round myself out a bit. The problem is, I am not too thrilled about the idea of getting hit in the face. How do I overcome this? If applicable, how did you over come this?

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens! supporting member

Style
    karate / bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first step, get hit in the face. then you'll be motivated to hit the other guy back while getting hit less in future. this incentivizes learning.

Style
    BJJ / MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting hit in the face freaks me out. I've been trying to overcome it this last month and I'm slowly getting better at taking the shot and still going forward. I think you just have to get used to it. I don't think I'll ever enjoy getting hit in the face but I will get used to it.

Style
    MMA, Yoga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only way to get over being hit in the face and become used to working through it is unfortunately being hit in the face, often. I think it took at least a month of regular sparring before i did. Before that i was flinching, closing my eyes, losing my game plan, dropping my guard and not tucking my chin.

I actually still find myself doing most of those things occasionally, it is a long conditioning process to change your automatic response to something dangerous coming at you.

Style
    Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe if someone hit me in the liver I'd forget all about my face. I hear that hurts terrifically.

Style
    TKD, MT & BJJ (nooblet)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always wondered...are there long-term negative effects of being hit in the face/liver/etc over the course of many years? I'm not talking about competition, just regular sparring in classes and whatnot.

Style
    wing chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just do the exercise and don't worry about getting hit in the face. If you get hit in the face, forget about it and go for retribution instead of getting scared. You can be scared if you like after the situation is over.

Style
    Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree with what was said re: being hit in the face is an incentive to not get hit.

at least it's not an immobilizing injury like tearing a tendon or spraining an ankle.

when i started taking karate as a teenager, i got popped in the chin one day and saw stars. the disorientation is probably more dangerous than a fat lip.

Style
    Striking/Grappling/Poking
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Striking for non-strikers" is fucking retarded. Learn to strike like a striker, learn to strike like a man. I don't understand why the **** anyone would want to learn to strike like a grappler. Unless you're in a rush to get into MMA competition, although I don't think that should change how you train your striking. And how should you train your striking? Well, like you want to be able to knock motherfuckers the **** out as well as set up takedowns and ****. No matter what you'll need fundamentals and so forth. So why not enroll in one of the following classes: Muay Thai, Boxing, Kickboxing, Kyokushin or other such good ****.

As for your response to the idea of getting punched in the face, to quote Cracky McSlughoot, "that's called being a *****. Stop it".
    Seriously, if you start with 16oz gloves you should be fine. Those things are fucking huge.

First I got used to getting punched by the 16oz gloves, then I moved on to the 7oz training MMA gloves. I haven't sparred in very long time, but the last time I sparred, I wasn't afraid of getting hit in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to say it but in order to get over it, your going to have to get hurt. Really what's the worst that can happen? A bloody nose? Maybe a broken one at best... But honestly I havent seen that in training from a punch, knees when they shoot in on accident, but not from a punch. You are not going to die from it.

You will get enough training under your belt that when you get hit, you will flip your switch and go for it. Then, soon enough you will flip your switch AND be able to keep your wits about you and nail them back!

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last