Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Style
    Jeet Kune Do
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to recommend this book for her, but it looks like the price has gotten a little inflated.

Amazon.com: HOW DANGEROUS MEN THINK: (AND HOW TO STAY SAFE FOR LIFE): BRENT SANDERS: Books

It's a good book, but it's not that good.

I understand Peyton Quinn is offering discounts these days. It's a trip to Colorado for a short course and it's not women only, but maybe you could go together.
    http://www.rmcat.com/index.html?fresh=1

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow that is expensive...and no customer reviews on amazon. What can you tell me about the book?

Style
    JKD, BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If she insists on a knife then I would suggest kali/arnis/eskrima or another martial art that really focuses on blades. Sayoc Kali trains almost exclusively in knives, if that's what she'd want. I disagree with Ignatzami; at an Filipino Martial Arts place that spars, it won't take too long to gain some proficiency, although it will take a while to really get great. And if she were to take a knife class, she would still need a bunch of empty-hand stuff too.

A lot of larger MA gyms offer women's bjj in addition to regular, both-sexes bjj (at least mine does). I would wager that the same must go for judo and other martial arts. But if she's afraid of contact and resistance sparring, she's really not going to be successful anywhere. If you want to take her to a women's self-defense seminar (I hear some of them focus on preventative habits, which is definitely a good thing), you definitely need to make sure she's consistently doing a martial art after, and preferably during, the period in which she's taking the seminar.

EDIT: the part about quickly gaining proficiency with knives is obviously just my opinion. It's entirely possible that Ignatzami is much more knowledgeable and experienced about the subject than I am. I still think I'm right.
    Last edited by Robdogg; 7/21/2008 1:49am at .

Style
    Confused variety
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive read the abovementioned book, quite ok, though I dont think that many of those type of books which like to categorize various types of attackers, different mindsets etc, have neccessarily kept up with changes in society.
    Two areas that have really changed in my part of the world are an increase in multiple attack situations and gangs of disgruntled youths, which is a situation rarely adressed in womens self defence books.(perhaps too hard basket).
    The other thing which has changed dramatically is a marked increase in drug induced psychosis type violence.
    All very scary stuff.
    I do have experience in womens self defence training and courses, and agree with the guys that said that if courses are short term, hopefully they focus on awareness/avoidance personal security.
    I also believe that any weapon must be accompanied with lots of training, or else it may become a liability.
    My own experience with womens self defence is that often it gets confused with "womens confidence" training. The two are quite different problems.
    Years ago the group I used to train with used to run womens self defence courses and we found it incredibly frustrating, as many women wanted "magical" clean and easy solutions to violence and fear. In the end I couldnt do it anymore.

Style
    JKD, BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And yeah, mace is good too, though I have to say I've never been maced. And every time I think of mace I'm reminded of that scene in Anchorman where Ron Burgundy maces himself by accident. That would suck.

Page 4 of 4 First 1234