Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jlewin
    thanks for all the responses. I will be looking into IMPACT as well as Kali and hopefully can convince her to at least talk to a few of the young ladies in my Judo class to see if they can sway her or at least help her feel comfortable.
    Or better yet, throw on your gi top and walk her through Osoto-Gaki and Osoto-Gari. Once she realizes she can do it she will be less intimidated.

Judo > Arnis/Kali > IMPACT

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    See also this thread.

Style
    kickboxing
    I agree with the above posters on this matter. All those SD seminars that last for 2 or 3 days,PLEASE stay away from. Just a rip-off to get your money. I'm just curious here, does your local sheriff's dept of PD offer any SD courses for women? Some places offer those and depending on who's instructing, they are not bad at all. I have seen some KM in some places that do offer some practical triaing for women who are not afraid to get down and dirty so to speak and your wife would have the basic skills needed. Other than that I would have to say Judo, bjj and some striking art if she is so inclined. Of course all this entails time for training and active sparring so she can get the benefits from her training. There are no shortcuts to SD , its just whatever time and effort you put into this and the type of training that you get will help .... Of course I will have to add , depending on your state, a handgun or taser can also be of help.....
    Just a few thoughts

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.
    Style
    Rehab Fu
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    Wrong in a lot of ways, Mace will not stop a determined attacker. This I know from experience having been maced. It hurts, but you can work through it.
    You can also ignore popped shoulders and for that matter, non fatal stab wounds and gunshots. That doesn't mean that jitz, guns and knives aren't useful. It just means that nothing is perfect. Speaking as a sometime rioter, getting maced/pepper sprayed really sucks.

If guns and serious training are out (like they are for most people) everything I've seen, read, and experienced says that mace/pepper spray are the best of the imperfect options. A knife is a really bad one.

Style
    Bartitsu

Judo > Arnis/Kali > IMPACT
    If I might be permitted to re-phrase that: long-term, regular training in any decent, realistic fighting style > any short term self defense course; IMPACT-type courses > most other short term courses and virtually all seminars.

Style
    Karate
    Wrong in a lot of ways, Mace will not stop a determined attacker. This I know from experience having been maced. It hurts, but you can work through it.

Yes, most self defense material is garbage but not all. Sweeping generalizations just make you look like an idiot.

To the OP, JUDO. Enough said. If the idea of judo bothers her try the Arnis place but look for a course that focuses on short blade work with an alive application and randomness not just siniwali ad-nauseum.
    You have a better shot with mace than you do with a couple of seminar classes.

Speaking of sweeping generalizations, you made one yourself. So YOU fought through mace. Many people can't take the pain and you could easily run away while they claw at their eyes.

Look it's just my opinion, but I have never seen a course or seminar that was worth much. Most of them teach some basic techniques. Big deal. If you want to get good you need old fashion hard work and lots of practice. These courses remind me of get rich quick schemes. And based on the responses to this thread I am not the only one...

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Danryu
    You have a better shot with mace than you do with a couple of seminar classes.

Speaking of sweeping generalizations, you made one yourself. So YOU fought through mace. Many people can't take the pain and you could easily run away while they claw at their eyes.

Look it's just my opinion, but I have never seen a course or seminar that was worth much. Most of them teach some basic techniques. Big deal. If you want to get good you need old fashion hard work and lots of practice. These courses remind me of get rich quick schemes. And based on the responses to this thread I am not the only one...
    I said Mace can be worked through, not all the time, but to a determined attacker on an adrenaline rush, Mace is an irritant not a deterrent.

That and mace/pepper spray imparts a false sense of preparedness. I worked with a young lady back in my Wing Chun days who carried mace, I asked her to mace me to stop an attack. She couldn't get the mace out of her purse before I had crossed the studio and tackled her. We tried again with the mace in her hand, it had a safety, she didn't know this and was unable to deactivate it before getting tackled. We tried again with the mace in her hand and the safety off, she maced my forehead, it hurt, and the blowback went into her eyes and mouth. I dealt with the minor annoyance of my eyes watering and tackled her. Half an hour later we tried again and she was finally able to mace me full in the face. It was hard to see and I was coughing but I was still able to drag her to the ground.

Mace is not a be all end all. Mace is a tool, without a solid delivery system, and an understanding of the mace she is carrying and a good back up plan mace will not help her.

Judo, will.

A knife, might.

Style
    Karate
    I said Mace can be worked through, not all the time, but to a determined attacker on an adrenaline rush, Mace is an irritant not a deterrent.

That and mace/pepper spray imparts a false sense of preparedness. I worked with a young lady back in my Wing Chun days who carried mace, I asked her to mace me to stop an attack. She couldn't get the mace out of her purse before I had crossed the studio and tackled her. We tried again with the mace in her hand, it had a safety, she didn't know this and was unable to deactivate it before getting tackled. We tried again with the mace in her hand and the safety off, she maced my forehead, it hurt, and the blowback went into her eyes and mouth. I dealt with the minor annoyance of my eyes watering and tackled her. Half an hour later we tried again and she was finally able to mace me full in the face. It was hard to see and I was coughing but I was still able to drag her to the ground.

Mace is not a be all end all. Mace is a tool, without a solid delivery system, and an understanding of the mace she is carrying and a good back up plan mace will not help her.

Judo, will.

A knife, might.
    ok so forget the mace AND the seminar! Now we agree!

And yes judo, karate, BJJ will help her....but that's back to what I said before...regular training and hard work is the only thing that will ever help you consistantly

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    Now, imagine that last scenario if she had a solid backup system, say Judo. I've been maced, I'm bleary eyed, all but blind, and coughing. I have my hands on her but my grips aren't all that solid. ONE good throw and I'm going to have to consider if I want to set up at all.

Even if I get her to the ground I'm not 100%, she could have easily reversed me, got up and ran. I doubt I would have been able to follow her at any real speed.

Style
    Bartitsu
    When you talk about "most of these courses" or say that "these courses remind me of get quick schemes", that begs the question of your own experience and authority. How many short-term self defense courses have you personally experienced, as a student, instructor or closely-involved observer? Are you referring to 24-hour long scenario-based padded attacker courses, or to 2 hour self defence seminars taught by a kempo black belt at the local community center?

My point is that it would be much easier to take your criticism seriously if you could offer specific citations.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last