Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

women's self defense

My wife is interested in learning basic self defense. She is very intimidated by any regular self defense systems, she is hoping for something that is very geared toward women, preferably a short term women's only program. I suggested a gun, but she doesn't want to hear about that, although she is open to a folding knife (I'm not comfortable with her ability to use one) or pepper spray. I would still like to see her learn and or try some hand to hand techniques. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for in a program for women? I'm sure there is a lot of crap out there.

Style
    Judo, Sub wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If she wants something short term no "techniques" are going to do crap. Weapons and awareness and mentality training are the only thing that would do good in the short term. If she's willing to actually train, BJJ or Judo are both nearly ideal for women's SD.
    Last edited by Blue Negation; 7/18/2008 1:35pm at .

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seconded Judo.

If she wants to carry a blade get her into Kali and make sure she drills with a knife, it won't be quick but it is effective. be sure to check legality in your home state.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the tips. we have a kali place close by and also an introductory arnis course at the YMCA (which might help to get her feet wet) so I was already thinking in those terms. I am new to Judo and have begging her to come check it out....but she lived through my high school wrestling days and b/c of that is afraid to get anywhere near the dojo no matter what I say.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option. supporting member
    Style
    BJJ, Unauthorized Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlewin
    thanks for the tips. we have a kali place close by and also an introductory arnis course at the YMCA (which might help to get her feet wet) so I was already thinking in those terms. I am new to Judo and have begging her to come check it out....but she lived through my high school wrestling days and b/c of that is afraid to get anywhere near the dojo no matter what I say.
    You will have to drill it into her head...in a nice way of course, that training and sticking with it is the only way to have the skills needed to be able to defend yourself. All those "workshops", "seminars", etc are in introduction. They can't really help unless you put in the time and effect. They MAY help if the person attacking you is inept in every way possible.

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As noted, short-term courses are of limited actual use. The best I can recommend would be the scenario-based padded attacker courses run by organizations like IMPACT. Very simple, relatively high-percentage techniques combined with more-or-less realistic role-playing and lots of freestyle, full-contact application.

Beware anything that seems to emphasize confidence-building over genuine training. If people develop more confidence through the training, that's great, but if it's weighted more towards being a support group than a no-holds barred fighting class, my advice would be to walk away.

Most good (professional) course of this type will also place a strong emphasis on tactical thinking (basic awareness, etc.) and verbal defense, which are extremely valuable; the idea is to escape a threatening situation by any means necessary, and if the threat can be avoided without physical recourse, so much the better.

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another point is that the IMPACT-type courses generally do not assume that the student has any interest or experience in martial arts, combat sports or even much prior athletic training, which can actually be an advantage. Novices are sometimes intimidated by the hyper-macho atmosphere of a combat sports gym, or by the rituals and protocols of a formal MA class.

IMPACT instructors are generally professionals who are used to teaching "non-fighters".

Finally, note also that by "short term course" I mean something lasting about 24 hours, generally spread over several weeks. One-off seminars are all but useless except to whet people's appetites for real training, or to focus on specialized topics for people who are already competent.
    Last edited by DdlR; 7/18/2008 2:03pm at .

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get her a can of mace.

Honestly...some of those courses will harm her. I have met several women over the year that followed a course and felt like they were ready to defend themselves. They showed me some of the stuff they learned and it was really bad. They would be better off with the mace.

You just can't get around regular training. MA are not different than any other sport, you can't just take a quick course and learn how to play football effectively.

Beware of all self defense courses and seminars.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for all the responses. I will be looking into IMPACT as well as Kali and hopefully can convince her to at least talk to a few of the young ladies in my Judo class to see if they can sway her or at least help her feel comfortable.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danryu
    Get her a can of mace.

Honestly...some of those courses will harm her. I have met several women over the year that followed a course and felt like they were ready to defend themselves. They showed me some of the stuff they learned and it was really bad. They would be better off with the mace.

You just can't get around regular training. MA are not different than any other sport, you can't just take a quick course and learn how to play football effectively.

Beware of all self defense courses and seminars.
    Wrong in a lot of ways, Mace will not stop a determined attacker. This I know from experience having been maced. It hurts, but you can work through it.

Yes, most self defense material is garbage but not all. Sweeping generalizations just make you look like an idiot.

To the OP, JUDO. Enough said. If the idea of judo bothers her try the Arnis place but look for a course that focuses on short blade work with an alive application and randomness not just siniwali ad-nauseum.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last