Page 4 of 4 First 1234
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTart
    For the second time - Jeremy Yau doesn't hide his lineage, it's just his lineage has no supporting evidence besides his own word.
    For the second time it is considered hidden when it is a mysterious monk, your grandfather, and some other unknown before it gets to you.

There are thousands of people with lineage on their website. When questions are asked, see your own link to kfm, and the response is "you don't question things," it moves into the hidden realm.

He said proud of, that doesn't mean hidden.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/27/2008 1:50pm at .

Style
    Lau Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shmuel
    Is the lineage he claims totally different from mainstream Lau Gar? Where do they diverge?
    Without wanting to sound rude - Do you actually know anything about Lau Gar/The southern family styles?
    The way you say "Mainstream Lau Gar" implies that you think there is one perfect lineage that everyone knows about - and then there is Jeremy Yau's. It's really not like that.

And where does the lack of proof begin? Does it begin with the guy who he claims taught him? Is that guy's existence in doubt?
    He claims he learnt it from his grandfather - Yau Luk Sau. Who learnt it from both Tang Hoi Ching & Wan Goon Wing. None of those names seem to turn up anywhere else apart from the BKFA websites.

Conversly the lineage listed in the "history of lau gar" article I linked to mentions people who do turn up in other sources: Xiao Yong Ding (the guy who's videos I linked to) apparently collaborated on the article, and also Yan Chu Mian worked on the contributors section of combat magazine.

Which kinda puts paid to Jeremy Yau's claim in his interview that there is "Only one Lau Gar".

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Without wanting to sound rude - Do you actually know anything about Lau Gar/The southern family styles?
    The way you say "Mainstream Lau Gar" implies that you think there is one perfect lineage that everyone knows about - and then there is Jeremy Yau's. It's really not like that.
    No, it doesn't imply one perfect lineage.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't imply one perfect lineage. But I thought it was like Hung Gar : lots of branches, but all still part of the same root. There's no "one pefect" lineage in Hung Gar, but I would still say that there is a mainstream Hung Gar.

Maybe instead of mainstream I should have said "verified" or "recognised".

On a related topic, where does the Lau Gar taught by Ark Y Wong fit in? He was reputed to teach it, as well as the other big Southern families.

Style
    Gym drifter
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know them? Where did you learn them from?
    A small school in my town... But it's that one exactly no mistake. I dont remember the names much, I dont bother to.

Style
    Lau Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq
    A small school in my town... But it's that one exactly no mistake. I dont remember the names much, I dont bother to.
    Where is that? And what style do you do there? This could be very important as so far the only place we have found those forms are in mainland china.

***EDIT****

I've just realised. You mean the first guy here don't you?

YouTube - Lau Gar - Open hand form

That's not the Lau Gar guy. Lau Gar guy starts 50secs in.
    Last edited by DaveTart; 7/28/2008 2:12am at .

Style
    Lau Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shmuel
    I don't imply one perfect lineage. But I thought it was like Hung Gar : lots of branches, but all still part of the same root. There's no "one pefect" lineage in Hung Gar, but I would still say that there is a mainstream Hung Gar.

Maybe instead of mainstream I should have said "verified" or "recognised".
    Well that's the point. Lau Gar is a very small system, unlike Hung Gar. It's like the more obscure 5 families ones. At one point it was presumed lost.
    The only listed lineage I've ever seen is the ones I've mentioned & Linked too. Both claim they come from the originator of the style 3-eyed Lau, and both look completely different.

On a related topic, where does the Lau Gar taught by Ark Y Wong fit in? He was reputed to teach it, as well as the other big Southern families.
    I'll take a guess and say that it is probably the Lau Gar forms you find in Hung Gar - totally seperate.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did Lau Gar in the 1980's in Ireland. Denis Davis was the Chief Instructor here then.We did form and sparring and some self defence moves. i do not remember the name of the first form. If anyone can point it out on video I can say if it is the same.
    Davis said he was hassled by a group of bikers in a pub and he stared back at each one in turn until they looked away. I remember one of the guys training us-Davis was only here once and for grading - being impressed with Yau when they went to seminar in UK. There was no internet then so no way to know Yau may have invented it

Page 4 of 4 First 1234