Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood supporting member
    Style
    BJJ

Sauna or Swimming

Where I train BJJ I have the choice of having a Sauna and/or a quick dip in the ultra cold Pool after training.

What do you think would be best for helping prevent sore/aching muscles the next day? I thought it would have been the cold water but someone at work keeps telling me it's a sauna and I've started doubting.

So what do you think?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Style
    MMA
    Go for a swim. I've heard cold water is good for muscles after a hard workout.

EDIT: And because saunas are fucking boring. I don't know how people do that.
    Last edited by BudoMonkey; 6/27/2008 11:39am at .

Style
    TKD, Wrestling (retired)
    Nothing conclusive here, but I think you might find it interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_soreness

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't do anything that takes more water out of my muscles.

Style
    MMA
    Right. I don't know how on earth going to the sauna would be a good idea.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    I vote swim .

I swim every chance I get , as long as it isn't in a public pool or the staph infected lake which used to a thriving valley community before they dammed it .

Swimming just makes me feel good . Well honestly it gets me high as hell . I hear runners talk about how endurance running gets them high . One hundred meters of freestyle or breaststroke and then some free time to just swim and float will get me content , happy, and giddy through out the next day .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

and good morning to you too supporting member
    Style
    MT/BJJ
    Fucking both. hot-cold-hot-cold is better for recovery than either alone.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Fucking both. hot-cold-hot-cold is better for recovery than either alone.
    Swim first tho ... it will make me feel better if you do .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Style
    Short Fist Boxing
    I am a big fan of saunas because it cleans out my pores and makes me feel great. It is cleansing.
    As for muscle soreness, I am guessing that a cold swim would serve you better, though.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Style
    Muay Thai
    For rugby in sixth form when we toured SA and had a group of big games in a relatively short space of time we had ice baths after the game.

I found it actually helped somewhat with muscle soreness but in general it was best at just removing the odd niggle you had picked up in the game.

Style
    MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakmongkol
    removing the odd niggle

No need to get all Dr.Seuss on us. What the hell is an odd niggle?

EDIT- Actually, it sounds more like a term the main character from 'clockwork orange' would use.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last