Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last
    Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher supporting member
    Style
    n/a (ex-Karate)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    There's no warmth in your posts any more.
    I'll swap you some warmth for an insightful contribution to this thread.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Style
    n/a (ex-Karate)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chizilds
    I agree to a certain extent. I have been asked a bunch of times why I train or fight. I just answer "cause it scares me". I heard it in a movie one time I think "you do the thing that scares you shittless, and get the courage after".... seems backwards but thats the way it is.
    Damnit. I know that film.

THANKS A LOT. YOU JUST COST ME TWO DAYS OF THINKING.

Training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu made me an obnoxious loud mouth who loves the sound of his own voice....wait, I was that already. BJJ just made me a loud mouth with a buzz cut who occasionally fakes a Brazilian accent.

Style
    TKD, MT, KEMPO
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    I know what you mean, but I disagree.

Courage is sometimes doing what you must, despite your fear, and in full knowledge of a painful outcome.
    I stand corrected! I wish I was more eloquent, because that pretty much sums it up for me. Also, the whole training because you face your fears=decrease anxiety/more confidence is a legit reason too train. The one thing is, sometimes, sometimes people are focused on working through a low probability event when they need to overcome fear/anxiety in another, high probability event. When i was single, i trained in Karate a lot, and never got laid. so, instead of trying to boost my self image through learning how to defend myself, I focused on keeping track of how many times i would ask a girl to dance, phone numbers, dates etc. I went from zero to hero in a few months, getting the best poon I had had in years, for years. A friend of mine even mentioned that the other day- " You always seemed to be getting hotter broads, considering your situation.." Anyway, if you need to work up the courage to get a promotion or close more sales, you need to do more sales calls, not work on your Jab or Spider Guard.

Style
    BJJ - SBGi
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    Damnit. I know that film.

THANKS A LOT. YOU JUST COST ME TWO DAYS OF THINKING.
    Black Hawk Down FTW?:911flag:

Style
    n/a (ex-Karate)
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    I stand corrected! I wish I was more eloquent, because that pretty much sums it up for me. Also, the whole training because you face your fears=decrease anxiety/more confidence is a legit reason too train. The one thing is, sometimes, sometimes people are focused on working through a low probability event when they need to overcome fear/anxiety in another, high probability event. When i was single, i trained in Karate a lot, and never got laid. so, instead of trying to boost my self image through learning how to defend myself, I focused on keeping track of how many times i would ask a girl to dance, phone numbers, dates etc. I went from zero to hero in a few months, getting the best poon I had had in years, for years. A friend of mine even mentioned that the other day- " You always seemed to be getting hotter broads, considering your situation.." Anyway, if you need to work up the courage to get a promotion or close more sales, you need to do more sales calls, not work on your Jab or Spider Guard.
    Um. Thanks.

I should retitle my thread: "Vices in Martial Arts and Life: Aristotle on Poon".

Style
    BJJ - SBGi
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    A friend of mine even mentioned that the other day- " You always seemed to be getting hotter broads, considering your situation..
    your talking about accuracy by volume.... or the shotgun approach.... I have friends that say the same thing... and I tell them, for all the hot girls you see me hook up with, you dont see how many I don't....

Style
    Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ
    DAYoung, you've thrown down a gauntlet that I wholly intend on picking up after family dinner tonight. This topic is related to my secondary research interests, and I've got some arguments I want to work through.

Style
    TKD, MT, KEMPO
    I didn't intend for the example i mentioned to be a poon contest, only that many times, the confidence that you can crush someone in mortal combat may not transfer into dividends that you can use. Poon, I said poon, how mature is that?

Style
    Tai Chi
    When I was a teenager doing non/light contact MA made me think I was a lot tougher than I really was.

One thing I've noticed myself doing when sparring hard, is feeling proud the next day around people who don't do MA when I get a black eye or something like that.

That's stupid.
    Last edited by Cullion; 8/22/2007 5:34pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Page 2 of 9 First 123456 ... Last