Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Team Praxis MMA

Snap Kick vs. Push Kick

Coming from a TKD backround, I was taught to do snap kicks. When I started MMA, however, I discovered push kicks to be VERY effective. So what is the advantage/disadvantage of both techniques?

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    Snap kicks are worse for your knees, generally are not as strong, and generally are faster. Push Kicks don't do a lot of damage but well create space for you, are generally a little slower than the snap kicks, and give you a small risk of one being deflected and it screwing your balance up. As a TKD black belt I suggest you ditch the snap kicks and switch to a MT style roundkick that uses more hip and less knee.

Style
    Kitty Pow Pow!!!
    Different kicks for entirely different purposes. Personally I find the push kick to be a far more useful kick, but I have seen the snap kick used effectively (Buakaw Por Pramuk, 2 time K-1 Max champion, uses a front snap kick from time to time).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    Agreed, some people use them to great effect. It's a kick I never liked in TKD and never found much use for beyond board breaking tricks.

Style
    Team Praxis MMA
    Interesting...thanks for you thoughts guys!

Style
    Team Praxis MMA
    WTF? Why did my thread get owned? It was a legitamit question!

If you're going to ModeratorOwn something, own that "It's my first Muay Thai class!!!" that **** belongs in newbietown

Style
    Kitty Pow Pow!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanus1234
    WTF? Why did my thread get owned? It was a legitamit question!

If you're going to ModeratorOwn something, own that "It's my first Muay Thai class!!!" that **** belongs in newbietown
    Guantanamo Bay: Newbie and Misc. Technique Discussion

It's not terrible enough for YMAS or Trollshido, but it's certainly not worthy of strikeistan, as it's really not a particularly useful discussion.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Style
    Team Praxis MMA
    Just for clarification what kind of thread in Strikeistan does make a useful discussion? I looked before I posted and there didn't seem to be any indication that discussion of certain striking techniques were frowned upon.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    HAY I LIKE JABS R THEY GOOD? I ALSO LIKE CROSSES. WHICH IS BETTER? DISCUSS.

This is what your thread reads like to everyone but you, apparently.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Style
    Team Praxis MMA
    Ok, I underestand where you're coming from. Would it have helped if had rephrased the question?

I swear I'm not a troll lol...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last