Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last
  1. #31
    TEA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    BFNTX
    Posts
    2,767
    Style
    TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAPT View Post
    I am aware that this is an old thread, but I'll add my two cents, seeing as it's 0800 on a Sunday and I'm awake. I have seen my share of bad instructors/McDojos, what-have-you (I posted here a few years ago about a "grandmaster" who ripped a bunch of us off in Arizona in the early '90s). I always research these pages before I attempt to try a new school. My background is in Japanese Jujutsu, but I've studied BJJ and Aikido over the years. I couldn't find a good JJJ school here in the Tampa suburb of Brandon, and I didn't want to study Aikido again. I found a few Hapkido schools nearby and started researching. One instructor (who was Korean) advertised Hapkido but said that he taught Tang Soo Do and that Hapkido was part of the TSD training. It didn't make sense, but when I realized that he was pushing the TSD and trying to woo me away from asking about Hapkido, I left. There were two other HKD schools in the area. One was an ICHF school. I looked up the instructors online and found Pelligrini. The second I saw the amount of DVDs he had for sale and the fact that he was wearing an American Flag for a gi (I'm new to Korean arts, so I forget the name for uniform), I thought "McDojang". I then saw his list of accolades and immediately had flashbacks to "Shinan" John Sharpe, my first martial arts instructor. There were many similarities in their claims (both were members of the now defunct ASLET, and both claimed 9th or 10th Dans in arts that they seemed to create themselves). I'm glad that there are webpages like Bullshido that can be used to "out" bad instructors. I don't know what Pelligrini's true story is, but it seems to have been told on this thread, so I'll accept that he's not the instructor for me. I ended up starting HKD under Master In W. Kim. He seems to be legit and his teaching skills are phenomenal. I thank everyone here for the insight on good vs. evil!
    AFAIK, there is a very good Gracie Jiu Jitsu school in Tampa, just FYI.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

    Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

    Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1
    Style
    Hapkido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Combat Hapkido Scam

    COMBAT A HAPKIDO SCAM
    John Pellegrini is the epitome of the phony grandmaster. His claims of 9th degree rank are truly the example what is wrong with the martial arts. The following are facts which are indisputable;


    FACT #1:
    Pellegrini claims 9th degree rank and Grandmaster In Sun Seo as his instructor. The truth is that In Sun Seo teaches Kuk Sool Won and not Hapkido. Kuk Sool is a sister style similar but not exactly identical to Hapkido. Pellegrini never trained in Kul Sool. He never enrolled, took classes or physically tested in Kuk Sool and his relationship with In Sun Seo is a business relationship, not a documented training relationship. Pellegrini cannot produce an enrollment form, training history, promotion history or black belt ranking in Kuk Sool. His claim to rank is purchasing paper certification from In Sun Seo in return for providing a business relationship involving seminars and the ICHF members also purchasing certification from In Sun Seo.


    FACT #2:
    Pellegrini has no school. He does not train nor can you train with him. His supposed Federation involves a mail order retail office run by he and his wife. They sell dvd’s, t-shirts, and memberships. There is no school, Pellegrini has not owned a school in decades and when he did, he failed miserably. He can only manage a mail order office, he cannot manage students, a training curriculum or a martial arts school. He survives on retail and mail order sales and also requiring his charter schools to host him for his very basic level Hapkido seminars and political speeches.



    FACT #3:
    Pellegrini has no standards of training or martial arts ethics. Those without formal Hapkido training can purchase an ICHF Charter and promote without testing or proper credentials. ICHF instructors apply for rank when they decide and there is no physical test of skill or knowledge required. Most often rank is decided over the phone. No belt is presented, no official testing or promotion takes place based on skill in Hapkido. It is a paper and monetary transaction only. Below is a clip from a recent newsletter where Pellegrini is offering a “Sale on Rank certificates”. He is offering his members to come to an event and regardless of their time in grade “If they are within one year” they can purchase their next rank certificate. No testing or proper time in grade needed. When you add up an instructor doing this several times over the course of their blank belt ranking, they can be 3, 4 or 5 years over ranked quite easily. So you have Masters that are not true Masters, 4th and 5th Dans that are not true 4th or 5th dans. No testing needed, no belt issued, skip a year on your next promotion.


    PELLEGRINI’S WORDS DIRECT FROM DSI NEWSLETTER:
    “If you are due to advance to 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th Dan but are up to one year short of your time in grade, we will waive the time requirement but only for this special occasion ( you must attend the banquet to qualify).”


    That's directly from his latest newsletter. So in addition to his already extremely low Dan ranking requirements, he's now offering special sale promotions to knock a year off of rank requirements for Dan black belts!



    FACT #4:
    Pellegrini cannot demonstrate his own entire curriculum or even a reasonable percentage of it. He cannot demonstrate a Kuk Sool or Hapkido curriculum. He travels around demonstrating the same dozen or so joint locks and delivers alot of political and quasi-patriotic propaganda. When asked about particular concepts, techniques, or requirements at a particular belt or dan level he can never answer the questions or demonstrate the techniques. He is the ultimate phony. If brought before a panel of grandmasters and asked to demonstrate his physical talents and the depths of his knowledge of Hapkido technique he would be ultimately discovered as the phony he is. His biggest fear is all of this information being found out. He has no answers to the above facts. He simply attacks those who bring these facts to light. He has no other defense for the truth.

  3. #33
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,126
    Style
    judo hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been nearly twenty years since I practiced HKD, but jointlocks, throws and brake falls, with alive training were the order of the dojang.

    Looking at the Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Hapkido article on CHKD, there's a real need for someone to edit the BS.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4
    Style
    Hapkido/GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    NOT TRUE

    I studied Combat Hapkido for 4 years to get 1st Degree Black belt not only did every test require demonstrations of physical technique under an instructor but the black belt test actually required an entire board of instructors who had to sign off. It also involved hours of surprise scenarios, live sparring and grappling and demonstration of the vast majority of the curriculum up until that point with a video recording of the test and letter being sent to Grand Master Pellegrini

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4
    Style
    Hapkido/GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    THE TRUTH ABOUT COMBAT HAPKIDO

    Ok so The truth is that years ago when I started Combat Hapkido it was more legit. They used to have a great ground grappling program and often did seminars with some of the Gracies. #FACT They also used to do more dynamic throwing and practiced a lot more knife and stick and they were actually instructing military back then #FACT. The top instructors were also younger lol. Not only have the old guys started getting soft (I cant blame them. They are old) Too many of the students are now children and WAY too much time is spent on countering wrist grabs. Sorry if you spend most of your time doing wrist locks and wrist grabs your not training for "COMBAT" Most people I know who have left the system did so because of the miss prioritization of wrist grab counters. And finally there is the "tactical pressure points" while some of these are useful in aiding techniques the fact is when Mark G. Is going on all these seminars with G.M. Pellegrini. He is slowly killing the style with his pseudo science and "sounds" Bullshido nonsense Its like being George Dillman in a world were everyone has YouTube we have all seen MMA & BJJ or styles like Krav Maga or Silat Kali. As for Pellegrini himself? He's usually legit but he is aging.

    And Combat Hapkido is not a bad system there are still some good instructors and I wouldn't say it's a McDojo art just because they have videos... as almost all systems do today? The store looks bad. But trust me you can't just buy rank. The videos are just for reference you still have to train in a school/gym to gain rank. Just keep in mind don't judge one by all or vice versa since the system encompasses so much the focus of one instructor may differ from another. For Example 1 instructor I had used to focus a lot on the counter striking and we would full resistance grapple at least once a week at other schools they focus more on the Self Defense Scenarios. And at some they almost never roll on the ground at all. Do your research there are some instructors with military, law enforcement or fighting backgrounds that are legit.

  6. #36
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,878
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would hesitate to take Chris seriously guys and gals. Here is a post he just posted in the KMA forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
    When I used to do combat hapkido we used to "roll" full resistance grappling once in awhile and spar sometimes. But we spent a lot of time doing chokes, holds and weapons stuff and self defense scenarios. It seems to me also that the art is becoming more firearm based which is a good thing.
    "It seems to me also that the art is becoming more firearm based which is a good thing."---Chris Johnson

    Just putting things in context.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4
    Style
    Hapkido/GJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok nothing I said is un-true or contradictory I gave a fair opinion stating that there are good instructors and bad ones some and that the style has some present flaws but that I think it used to be better so I don't know what your point is here. I suppose perhaps saying "firearm based" is probably not what I really meant. As much as I think more CH instructors are supplementing it.(which is good in my humble opinion) You can always do the googlefu and research for yourself which is what I would encourage.
    Last edited by Chris Johnson; 3/19/2017 2:00pm at .

  8. #38
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,878
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
    Ok nothing I said is un-true or contradictory I gave a fair opinion stating that there are good instructors and bad ones some and that the style has some present flaws but that I think it used to be better so I don't know what your point is here. I suppose perhaps saying "firearm based" is probably not what I really meant. As much as I think more CH instructors are supplementing it.(which is good in my humble opinion) You can always do the googlefu and research for yourself which is what I would encourage.
    Exactly how is Combat Hapkido supplementing their syllabus with firearm training? This is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  9. #39
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,333
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Exactly how is Combat Hapkido supplementing their syllabus with firearm training? This is important.
    This. Firearms training, especially for defense in its various aspects needs to be conducted by a competent and skilled instructor. Lacking that you simply are a danger to yourself and others. It's not something you just pick up and are able to teach.

  10. #40
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,878
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to go and give the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant empty hand vs gun ... which is going to open up an entirely different set of questions as to what he meant by it becoming more of a focus.

    Has Combat Hapkido become Korean Krav Maga?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in