Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo in Syracuse/Rochester

Just wondering if any Judo players can recomend a club in either Rochester or Syracuse NY?

Style
    Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey ignatzami,

Rochester has quite a few solid Judo clubs out this way. There's Bushido Kai, which works out of the Penfield Recreation center. Team Empire in the city of Rochester, which offers both a Judo and Sambo program as well being a Militech affiliate. Bedroc Judo is located in Greece, and I believe they offer both a Judo and BJJ program. In Brockport, you have Renshinkan Judo, which is run by 8th Dan Dr. Sachio Ashida.

A nice thing about judo in the Rochester area is the familiarity all the clubs have with one another. It's a nice judo family out here.

Anyway here are some of the websites:

http://www.bushidokai.net/
    http://www.teamempire.us/
    http://www.bedrocjudo.com/
    http://www.brockport.edu/recservices.../judo/main.htm

You've got a pretty good selection of schools.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused. It looks like Empire Academy and Bushido Kai are in the same building but different classes? If so, do you have a recommendation as to which would be better given that I am looking for a Judo/BJJ school.

I know Saunders BJJ is also in the area and quite reputable.

So possibly Bushido Kai and Saunders? or Empire for both? Thoughts?

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never mind Empire, too rich for my blood.

180$ for EITHER striking or grappling..... no thank you.

Bushido is 60$ for 8-10 weeks and Saunders is 20$ a week. Both much more feasible. Anyone have any issues with either Bushido Kai or Saunders BJJ? I'd like to know good and bad.
    Last edited by ignatzami; 4/10/2007 2:57pm at .

"Yes Neko, please keep telling me more about your manly collection of Star Wars audiobooks" supporting member
    Style
    Judo
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right.

But still, something about having a black guy or a lesbian jump out from behind a garbage can yelling "SURPRISE GONG SAU" at any of your big-named RBSD kooks makes me giggle like a little girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There are two kinds of members on MAP:

1. LARPers/Partial Artists
    2. People who haven't heard about Bullshido.
    The Mighty McClaw to Fox when refusing to fight AnnaT.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    Don't fight girls? When are you living, the 1850's? I suppose you think they shouldn't work or vote either.
    Get with the times and punch a chick.
    Wingchundo's response after I called him a "*****"

Quote Originally Posted by wingchundo View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

Ok, time for a snappy comeback.... uh...

OK. Here goes.

You are what you eat!

Style
    Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    judoinfo.com isn't too accurate, at least in my area. I'd use it more as a guideline. But some of the clubs there may be long gone.

Style
    Judo/Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Empire is in the city of Rochester on Norris. Bushido Kai is based in the Penfield Recreation center, about 20 minutes outside of the city. To be fair,tThe $180 dollar price is just the introductory package, which I don't believe is mandatory. Right now it is $70 dollars a month if you sign up for a year ($90 for 6 months). They offer classes in both gi and no-gi. They hold classes four days a week. It's not that bad of a deal, but it can be a bit pricey for some.

I train at Bushido Kai. The instructors are solid with a load of experience. The club is very much competition oriented, and likes to compete often. Depending on what you are you looking for, this can be good and bad. If the rules of Judo bug you, then this may not be what you want, but since the club likes to compete, you will get that "push, push" approach when it comes to training. We tend to do 50/50 tachiwaza/newaza. Keep in mind that the club is interested in competition, so newaza is geared towards that. I would say pins are more important to judo than submissions. A lot of tournaments are coming up, so people are getting prepared for the upcoming competitions. It's a very friendly bunch. To get a feel, you should simply check the club out. Sit in on a class and see what you think. If you have any questions, feel free to ask an instructor, if they havent already come up to talk to you. The new session starts this week, and runs till I believe June. Right now its only 45 dollars for this session.

One thing to note about the local judo scene is that the judo clubs like to work together. Sometimes one club will visit another. Our club has worked with Empire on a number of occassions. There will be opportunities for you to work with other clubs in the area. It's a nice little benefit to having a good judo community in the area.

I know there are a couple people on this board who have trained at Kyle's, and, as far as I can tell he's a good instructor. I've only visited his club a couple of times, but both times have been a pretty positive experiences.

Style
    Losing Weight
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try the universities... they might be better then binghamtons **** club that died, or free

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not looking for a permanent home in Rochester, just for the last year I'm at school. I defenitly want to keep up with BJJ, most likely at Saunders. Bushido Kai seems to be the best bet for inexpensive Judo in the R.I.T area so I will have to check them out.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even though this thread is old, for anyone reading it they might want to know there is a new club that is conviently located near Cobbs Hill: http://rochesterjudo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 Last