1. #1041

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls
    Posts
    286
    Style
    Kickboxing, BJJ
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    There's a guy on YouTube from a former Aikido background that went out to start training MMA and even trained up to an amature fight. He concluded after a decade of training Aikido that it was useless for fighting with.
    The Lithuanian guy that runs the Martial Arts Journey channel and did the Straight Blast Gym MMA program, I know who he is. If that's not an eye opener, I dunno what is.

  2. #1042
    Dung Beatles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,836
    Style
    Autoimmune disease
    2
    If I'm just really careful, I'll never get a serious injury.
    "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

  3. #1043
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    27,140
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    I know who you mean, he basically talked at length and demo'd making a realistic version of it before dropping it for BJJ because it would talk to long to fix and wouldnt be aikido.

    In a different context I have found dropping the odd bong sau in during Judo randori as a means of adjusting the leverage an opponent has on me is funny because they keep expecting a grab, but that might just me playing fast and loose with the rules of the sporting side people follow more. The Tan sau I find tends to screw a lot of the goju guys I know but thats probably because to them I'm using what we would call the sanchin arm in actual randori and they dont expect it against a straight when I do sabaki.

    I suppose maybe Im just thinking more freely with my applications in specific settings though. No way in hell I'm going to start claiming I have teh real wing chun, if I do, kill my family and call me Leroy Smith
    I looked at some video of bong sau. Such things already exist in Judo as part of competition grip fighting, certainly the concept/principle does.

    It's very difficult to do that sort of thing to a judoka who has good grip fighting.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #1044
    Sovvolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    729
    Style
    MMA, BJJ, Kickboxing
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post
    The Lithuanian guy that runs the Martial Arts Journey channel and did the Straight Blast Gym MMA program, I know who he is. If that's not an eye opener, I dunno what is.
    It's a real interesting watch. I think he got ostracized by a lot of the aikido community for it and a lot of his teachers/students. Most of his videos have comments like "Not the real aikido" shite. What is it with these daft laughably ineffectual arts and being unable to present the real versions of themselves.
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

  5. #1045
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    27,140
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    It's a real interesting watch. I think he got ostracized by a lot of the aikido community for it and a lot of his teachers/students. Most of his videos have comments like "Not the real aikido" shite. What is it with these daft laughably ineffectual arts and being unable to present the real versions of themselves.
    His shtick for monetizing his time/money spent in Aikido is conflicting with Aikido instructors shtick for monetizing their time/money spent in Aikido.

    The smart thing to do is have a career outside of martial arts/combat sports (other than professional coaches/trainers in professional sense), so you don't have to come up with a shtick to monetize all your pain and suffering (maybe) from becoming competent at said martial art/combat sport.

    It's also easier if one's chosen martial art/combat sport is NOT larp-a-doodle-dō.*

    *credit to Dr. Gonzo for that wonderful phrase
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #1046

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls
    Posts
    286
    Style
    Kickboxing, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    It's a real interesting watch. I think he got ostracized by a lot of the aikido community for it and a lot of his teachers/students. Most of his videos have comments like "Not the real aikido" shite. What is it with these daft laughably ineffectual arts and being unable to present the real versions of themselves.
    But if they did that, that would mean coming to terms with the fact that Steven Seagal sucks ass and could never fight.

  7. #1047

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    7,277
    Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post
    But if they did that, that would mean coming to terms with the fact that Steven Seagal sucks ass and could never fight.
    Seagal might have been able to fight.

    That is different than implying Aikido would work in many situations, given how it is trained, and what they train as Aikido,

    and that is different than implying that what Seagal does in movies reflects what Seagal could do for real.

    We cannot know from the movies and Seagal's Aikido training if he can fight,

    but that is not the same as saying that we know that Seagal could not fight.

    We can only say, 'not enough information' to make an opinion.

    Other than Seagal has falling skills, movie training, and Aikido training, and that Aikido generally has significant limitations on practical application in real fights.

  8. #1048
    Sovvolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    729
    Style
    MMA, BJJ, Kickboxing
    -scratches head-
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in