Style
    Goju Ryu
    ninjutsu was a combat art in the same vein of judo and mma.

martial arts would make me a better person.

Style
    MMA, BJJ, Kickboxing
    This is a daft one but I thought that you had to be a complete expert in martial arts to be able to fight and compete. I used to think but then over the last couple years with having more consistent training I find myself with people who are maybe journeyman that make a lot of beginner mistakes and are by no means experts but they've got a few amature fights behind them and even a few green belt full contact kickboxer with a few pro bouts behind them.

King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoWoody View Post
    I used to believe style had influence over an outcome. It never did. But if it doesn't, what do you train? You try to train harder, when you can.
    You're Wrong.

Kyokushin karate, Muay Thai, Western Boxing, Kickboxing

Bjj , Amateur wrestling styles, Sambo , Judo

Everything else is comparatively a waste of time.
    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

King of The Island of Misfit Toys supporting member
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    martial arts would make me a better person.
    It can be a tool for it, but its harder to use as a tool if you just dabble.
    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Style
    MMA, BJJ, Kickboxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    You're Wrong.

Kyokushin karate, Muay Thai, Western Boxing, Kickboxing

Bjj , Amateur wrestling styles, Sambo , Judo

Everything else is comparatively a waste of time.
    Like some top level athletes can get more unorthodox styles to work though often through bending the standard format at which those styles are trained at. Mainly including full contact and alive training to styles that don't traditionally have them. Though these are the exceptions not the rule.
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Style
    Goju Ryu
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    Like some top level athletes can get more unorthodox styles to work though often through bending the standard format at which those styles are trained at. Mainly including full contact and alive training to styles that don't traditionally have them. Though these are the exceptions not the rule.
    Im of the opinion anyone who can and has trained to a moderate-high level in a full contact, full resistance environment can make a more theory based art work. Wing Chun is one that I think could honestly benefit from shifting in this manner from my experiences between Kudo style karate training and randori and then meeting traditionalists who tell me that we karate guys are just like them because of wing chun. I've begun using some of that theory every now and then in sparring but only in a superfluous manner. I like the idea of attacking the same part of a person over and over to wear them down quickly, I do think the idea of interupting their balance is good, but you wont get there through non-commited strikes with no weight and assuming someone is going to entertain fighting in a push hands manner with no strafing like youre in rock-em-sock-em robots.

Likewise it wouldnt surprise me if someone from a wrestling, sambo or judo background could potentially make something like aikido 'work' by applying their own experience to the ideas of throws and taking it from compliance to reality based fighting fighting.

Both of these require a thorough understanding of what the unrealistic approach is doing wrong, what it is trying to do and then making it more applicable by something more true to reality and resisting opponents.

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls
    Style
    Kickboxing, BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Im of the opinion anyone who can and has trained to a moderate-high level in a full contact, full resistance environment can make a more theory based art work. Wing Chun is one that I think could honestly benefit from shifting in this manner from my experiences between Kudo style karate training and randori and then meeting traditionalists who tell me that we karate guys are just like them because of wing chun. I've begun using some of that theory every now and then in sparring but only in a superfluous manner. I like the idea of attacking the same part of a person over and over to wear them down quickly, I do think the idea of interupting their balance is good, but you wont get there through non-commited strikes with no weight and assuming someone is going to entertain fighting in a push hands manner with no strafing like youre in rock-em-sock-em robots.

Likewise it wouldnt surprise me if someone from a wrestling, sambo or judo background could potentially make something like aikido 'work' by applying their own experience to the ideas of throws and taking it from compliance to reality based fighting fighting.

Both of these require a thorough understanding of what the unrealistic approach is doing wrong, what it is trying to do and then making it more applicable by something more true to reality and resisting opponents.
    I think Wing Chun and aikido principles could work if they were supplementary to arts like boxing or judo/BJJ. But past that, nah. It's just too late for them. They're many decades behind to even rectify their own bullshit.

Style
    MMA, BJJ, Kickboxing
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamN'Cheese View Post
    I think Wing Chun and aikido principles could work if they were supplementary to arts like boxing or judo/BJJ. But past that, nah. It's just too late for them. They're many decades behind to even rectify their own bullshit.
    There's a guy on YouTube from a former Aikido background that went out to start training MMA and even trained up to an amature fight. He concluded after a decade of training Aikido that it was useless for fighting with.
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Darmok and Gelad at Tanagra. Shakka, when the walls fell.
    Temba, his arms wide!

Style
    Goju Ryu
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    There's a guy on YouTube from a former Aikido background that went out to start training MMA and even trained up to an amature fight. He concluded after a decade of training Aikido that it was useless for fighting with.
    I know who you mean, he basically talked at length and demo'd making a realistic version of it before dropping it for BJJ because it would talk to long to fix and wouldnt be aikido.

In a different context I have found dropping the odd bong sau in during Judo randori as a means of adjusting the leverage an opponent has on me is funny because they keep expecting a grab, but that might just me playing fast and loose with the rules of the sporting side people follow more. The Tan sau I find tends to screw a lot of the goju guys I know but thats probably because to them I'm using what we would call the sanchin arm in actual randori and they dont expect it against a straight when I do sabaki.

I suppose maybe Im just thinking more freely with my applications in specific settings though. No way in hell I'm going to start claiming I have teh real wing chun, if I do, kill my family and call me Leroy Smith