Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: US Gun Laws..

  1. #1
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,966

    US Gun Laws..

    Guys,

    Not being conversant with state laws for the US, am I right to assume that it is a constitutional right of American citizens to bear arms outside of LEA and the Military ?

    If that is the case

    Do you guys feel that gun related crime is made easier to perpetrate or, given that a criminal knows that anyone may own/use a firearm, does that have a sort of equalising effect against the advantages of using a firearm in criminal acts ?

    Also may I ask, do you guys have "justifiable homicide" ? If so, what constitutes the act of justifiable homicide?

    Thanks in advance
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  2. #2
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,754
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    Guys,

    Not being conversant with state laws for the US, am I right to assume that it is a constitutional right of American citizens to bear arms outside of LEA and the Military ?

    If that is the case

    Do you guys feel that gun related crime is made easier to perpetrate or, given that a criminal knows that anyone may own/use a firearm, does that have a sort of equalising effect against the advantages of using a firearm in criminal acts ?

    Also may I ask, do you guys have "justifiable homicide" ? If so, what constitutes the act of justifiable homicide?

    Thanks in advance
    If you haven't read this sticky I would suggest it .

    I hear legends of justifiable homicide ... but know nothing of the reality of it .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  3. #3
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,966
    Thanks mate..

    Just for clarification, I'm not asking those questions to sound off on US gun laws or in any way be a total arse on the subject; I recently read the 7.62x39 varmin thread and wondered about the laws of owning such a firearm and, discharging said weapon in a public environment, additionally the laws surrounding perhaps the use of this form of weapon in a "justifiable" situation.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  4. #4
    Because:

    • in the US, we try not to let our fears overrule our freedoms.
    • the foundation of my house is worth a lot more than the life of a rodent.
    • my 1/2 acre isn't a "public environment".
    • it was technically illegal to do so, but given my extensive experience with firearms safety and the fact that the city wouldn't come take care of the damn thing, I dealt with the problem myself.


    It's a lesson England forgot apparently; individual freedoms are more valuable than the temporary safety provided by restricting them under the guise of "the public good".

  5. #5
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,754
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    Thanks mate..

    Just for clarification, I'm not asking those questions to sound off on US gun laws or in any way be a total arse on the subject; I recently read the 7.62x39 varmin thread and wondered about the laws of owning such a firearm and, discharging said weapon in a public environment, additionally the laws surrounding perhaps the use of this form of weapon in a "justifiable" situation.
    I can't help you anymore than that ... mainly becouse I would just be talking out of my ass without any real knowledge .

    I can tell you gun laws and laws governing their use vary some state to state . Sometimes it varies drasticly .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  6. #6
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    ...It's a lesson England forgot apparently; individual freedoms are more valuable than the temporary safety provided by restricting them under the guise of "the public good".
    I can't argue on that point mate for sure. The UK is going to **** for a whole host of reasons.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  7. #7
    Anna Kovacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    6,358
    Style
    Dancing the Spears
    Laws vary from state to state but on the federal level a US citizen with no felonies on their criminal record can buy pretty much any firearm or firearm accessory they like.
    Some being harder to come by and more restricted (thus more expensive) then others. On the high end you can own things like sub-machine guns, heavy machine guns, grenade launchers, silencers, "sawn off" shotguns etc...But those types of weapons require extensive paperwork.

    On a more practical level you can buy pretty much any non-automatic .50 cal or less, weapon you want, with a minimum of hassel and paperwork.


    Justifiable homicide varies from state to state on what warrents it.

    On the extreme sides, some states require that you do all you can to retreat before defending yourself, on the other hand in Texas if you walk outside and the repo-man is trying to tow your car then you can shoot him as texas allows, or at least did allow, for lethal force protection of property.

  8. #8
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,966
    Cheers.. thanks for the info.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  9. #9
    GIJoe6186's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island,NY
    Posts
    1,981
    Style
    BJJ
    Why can they shoot Repo man though? That shouldnt be allowed. I used to repo cars in NYC and the surrounding areas. The cars I was taking arent owned by the person, its owned by the bank which takes payments from the person for the car. So how is it legally ok to shoot the repo man, because the bank is actually protecting its property. Follow that?

  10. #10
    Anna Kovacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    6,358
    Style
    Dancing the Spears
    Don't know how it's ok, just know that there is a precendent for it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in