Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Style
    TKD, BJJ

Bowflex vs Free Weights

Ok, I thought this would have been done to death on here somewhere but my search on Bowflex just turned up a few unrelated references in other threads.

Does anyone know how the resistance on the bowflex stacks up to free weights? I have a little bowflex knockoff that CLAIMS to go to 200lbs, but I know for a fact it's not that high because my bench is only about 145, maybe 155 on a really good day and I can do 180-190 on this thing. Is there a good way to figure out the actual resistance on these?
    I'm saving up for an olympic bench and weights, but that's a month or two off.

Thanks,
    Kintanon

Style
    BJJ
    Well, a good old fashion rope, pully, known weight and gravity setup should help you out.

*EDIT* Or, depending on how it's set up, you might be able to stand on a scale and curl a..rod, whatever...and see how much 'more' you weigh. Not exact, but it might give you some idea. Or get a few friends each with a known bench max and have everyone max on the bowflex, see what it says they did and what your friend expected.
    Last edited by Lv1Sierpinski; 9/11/2006 7:00am at .

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    I was afraid it was going to be something like that. I was hoping someone somewhere had already done the work for me.

Thanks!
    Kintanon

Style
    BJJ
    What's the knockoff brand, maybe you'll get lucky.

and good morning to you too supporting member
    Style
    MT/BJJ
    Bowflex vs Free Weights?

Sell the bowflex. Get freeweights.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    The knockoff brand is a "Techrod" highly lame, but best I have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Bowflex vs Free Weights?

Sell the bowflex. Get freeweights.
    Yes, you're very helpful, and your reading comprehension is flawless. Congratulations, you've been promoted to moron.

Thank you,
    Kintanon

Style
    BJJ
    I googled 'techrod', some forums have people asking about resistance consistancy, but most are happy with it (not that they'd really know any better). If you're not maxing it out, just tough it out until it's weight day. Though I did see someone comment on the inconsistancy of resistance during the lift/move, dunno if that's the case, but if so keep an eye on it so a strain or something can't creep up on you.

(and it occurs to me that I need more to do late at night)

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother supporting member
    Style
    BJJ
    I heard that the rods those machines use are not consistent throughtout the motion resistance wise. Supposedly its lighter in the beginning and gets heavier as the motion is completed.

Have you considered selling it? Or is it not yours to sell. I'd sell it and buy olympic weights and a dip/pull up setup + dip belt. Thats what I had till I joined a gym.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    To answer your question...

The resistance curve is completely lame. If you haven't noticed that yet, then you haven't used free weights or decent machines. If the thing is set at 200 pounds, you aren't anywhere NEAR 200 pounds at maximum extension. Reason tells you you want to know what you're loading your muscles with at any given time. You're going from zero to who-the-****-knows to maybe 200 pounds...more or less...depending on your particular stature. So I guess there is no definitive answer to your question. Invalid.

The increments of resistance are competely lame.
    -Forearm curls, for example, recruit relatively small muscles. 5 pounds is big jump, number one. Number two, with such a small range of motion you're recruiting the first little bend of the power rod, which like I stated, offers basically no resistance anyway!

But I suppose since the thing is so shakey and unstable, you'll be activating all those "stabilizer muscles" which is good for teh martial artist!!1

Yes, I've used it. I immediately sprinted to the bathroom afterwards and puked my fucking guts out.

This is for general reference, no neccesarilly all directed at the original poster.
    Last edited by Nid; 9/11/2006 11:27am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    Yes, you're very helpful, and your reading comprehension is flawless. Congratulations, you've been promoted to moron.

Thank you,
    Kintanon
    You are gonna have to develop a thicker skin if you really want to hang around in these realms. I don't see exactly what's wrong with PJ's response, even if it doesn't quite fit the question you asked. And that's irrelevenant. You do not have (nor should you expect to have) control on what type of information you get. Post less and lurk more.

Back to the subject, since you have that bowflex-thing at home, you may as well try to get some use of it. I do not know how bowflex compares to free weights when it comes to resistance, but I've tried it, and indeed, it doesn't match up at all to free weights. The reason is that it has hippy ergonomics **** built all over, with pulleys and nice, comfy angles and crap.

Weight is just part of the equation. Other variables are the position of your body as it lifts or pulls with respect of the weight, wether the weight is in a bar, in dumbells, handles or pulleys.

Furthermore, bowflex (and their knockoffs) have the same Bally's/LA Fitness mentality. They retrofit **** to give the illusion you are working out hard when in reality you are just doing a fraction of the actual effort. That is, past a certain fitness level, the gains these thing can give are meager.

Having said that, if I were you, I wouldn't throw it away once you get your weight set, though (unless you have very little space). You already have it anyways. You can use it for drop sets, for example, or for one-hand cable presses.

I say that because I have a cheapo "Body By Jake", band-based leg press **** at home (cheapo cuz I found it next to the garbage bin in good conditions). By itself, it's nothing - good for a working mom who doesn't have time to go to the gym, but not for me. However, I like to use it for one-leg presses after a heavy set of lunges, or for one-leg calve raises or reverse calve raises whenever I feel like working out at home. Just some food for thought...
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last