Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... Last

Style
    Maiwaydo

Importance of sidekick

being someone new to the forum, i browsed thru the entire forum and found that there was not much discussion about this commonly neglected kicking technique, side kick.

well i learnt the importance of sidekick during a tournament, when my opponent kept lunging at me with a right hand straight punch, while his left hand trapping my both arms...

if i was more proficient with my sidekick, he would not have trapped both my hands, and i could have thrusted him away from his punching distance...

Style
    all things in Moderation
    I don't fight from a side on stance . So it is a rarity that I find the time and opertunity to throw a sidekick . I don't think I have thrown one sparring in a few months now ...

* shrugs *

When I fought from a more sideways stance I threw them more often .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

Style
    Boxing/Wrestling
    I like using it as a follow up to a rear roundhouse.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Style
    Maiwaydo
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    I don't fight from a side on stance . So it is a rarity that I find the time and opertunity to throw a sidekick . I don't think I have thrown one sparring in a few months now ...

* shrugs *

When I fought from a more sideways stance I threw them more often .
    that was how i fought previously... begin fighting with a front facing stance... and he exploited that habit by using his left hand to trap both my hands first before raining straight punches on me... i thought of using a reverse spinning back fist... however, becos he hold on to my right hand, the moment i do reverse back fist, he lowered his stance below my back fist...

after the tourney... i realised if i changed to a side on stance, i could prevent him from trapping both my hands and exposing my full body for his straight punches...
    a lead sidekick would have countered his trapping + straight punch attack...

Style
    Maiwaydo
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I like using it as a follow up to a rear roundhouse.
    rear sidekick or lead sidekick?

Style
    Kitty Pow Pow!!!
    I don't really understand the necessity of a side kick. It's an ok kick I guess, but I don't see a situation that would require it. The situation you described doesn't really make sense to me.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Style
    Boxing/Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar
    rear sidekick or lead sidekick?
    Well, it would be a rear sidekick, except for the fact that after I throw a rear leg roundhouse, my rearleg becomes my front for that split second that I fire it.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Style
    Hiatus for Gen. Fitness
    A good side kick hurts real bad. Unfortunately, it's kind of telegraphed compared to most kicks. Still, a hopping side kick or a slip side kick can cover alot of ground if necessary. It has it's uses but I'd rather stick to front and round kicks.

Edit: I almost forgot... it makes a good retreating kick... as often as that comes up.

Style
    Maiwaydo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I don't really understand the necessity of a side kick. It's an ok kick I guess, but I don't see a situation that would require it. The situation you described doesn't really make sense to me.
    to appreciate a side kick, u need to understand the advantages of a straight line attack... the power of side kick... and how it can prevent a person from getting too close to u...

one drill to help u understand... stand in front of ur sandbag at ur punching distance... give it a hard push... try to stop it... what would u use?

either a pushing kick, a front kick or a side kick right?

imagine if u use a pushing kick or front kick, ur body will be facing squarely at the sandbag isnt it? if the sandbag has a left hand , both ur hands can be easily trapped isnt it?

Style
    Kitty Pow Pow!!!
    to appreciate a side kick, u need to understand the advantages of a straight line attack... the power of side kick... and how it can prevent a person from getting too close to u...

one drill to help u understand... stand in front of ur sandbag at ur punching distance... give it a hard push... try to stop it... what would u use?

either a pushing kick, a front kick or a side kick right?
    Uh, I know the uses of straight line attacks, stupid.

imagine if u use a pushing kick or front kick, ur body will be facing squarely at the sandbag isnt it? if the sandbag has a left hand , both ur hands can be easily trapped isnt it?
    No, this does not compute. How the hell does someone trap both of your hands with one of theirs?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... Last