Style
    Hung Gar / Choy Li Fut
    Understood, but, I did not see the original article, this thread was my first contact on the matter. The thinking is, it could be others first contact as well, possibly even the parrents and kids the investigators said they did the entire investigation for, just my oppinion for what its worth.

On the students side, that would be sticking my nose into something that it shouldnt be in. I do not concern myself with credentials, only ability (can I learn something from this person). I dont think my first Sifu had anything on papper, if he did he never mentioned it but it was good instruction so I never questioned the matter (though I understand that is what came into question in this case, I simply choose not to comment a lot on the instruction as I know nothing to speak of about american karete)

I did not ask to see credentials on my current Sifu, I met with him and got to know a good bit about him, watched his classes and made a descission. Now, several months latter, the instruction is still good and solid so I have no worries.

On the Certificate issue:

Do I think I deserved to be recognized as a BB?___No.
    Do I know the qualifications for the rank in Americian Karete??__ Again, No.

It has been brought to my attention (though I had read it on the papper and understood) that it was an honerary memberhip and not exactly a promotion which leaves it to anothers idea of what has been warrented.

However, my thoughts on the matter are that had I choose to find work closer to my Sifu back in 87 or so I would have EARNED the ranking of Sifu by now. While I continued to return for instruction for some time and trained with others I met in travels for for a few more years before setting down on my lazy butt for a living, the fact is that without the commitment to stay and finish what I had started, the title was not earned.

The honerary certificate was not the biggest problem, but that has been stated already and I will not digress on the matter. I still choose to say nothing good or bad on the subject of any person, but I feel my innitial statement on the matter needed to be made in any case, for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dio
    Mr. Miller -

This is a thread where forum members can discuss the followup to an article which was featured in an entirely different section of the website. If that article were printed, published, and presented to someone it would not have any of the "foul language and slams(sic)" that you seem to think are representative of the investigative and journalistic aptitude of the people who were involved in outing this fraud. Information has since flowed in beyond the original articles (enough, I think, to make a compilation) through this discussion forum, and it might be a good idea to make some updates to the original article to include all the new developments.

One final aside... you ought to ask his students how they feel about the validity of their own rank advancements when he's willing to give a black belt to someone who neither wants nor merits it, and then goes on to tell complete strangers they're an instructor under him?

Style
    Hung Gar / Choy Li Fut
    Kung Fu kid, could you please email me at [email protected] so we can talk about this a bit?? If you called Mr Scot, I am thinking you must be from around here, I need your input please. Just shoot me out a phone number and I will call you if you cannot make the call.

Thank you and God bless,,
    John Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfu kid
    Hmm,
    just been reading about coda for the last few months and relized it was me that
    called coda and he is the one that told me and another guy johnny was teaching there.

Style
    Karate, Sadism, Violence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olorin
    In addition having this thread be the first thing that comes up when someone does and Internet search for Coda is more important than an article in the newspaper.
    I feel that a newspaper article would be more akin to a precise attack. People in his home town would read the article. His family would read it. His friends would read it. They wouldn't have to log on, and find this thread.

That would be a serious crimp on business. Who wants to goto a school who' teacher is bashed as a fraud in the sunday paper? Even teenagers know

'that is so un:5cool: !"

EDIT***

And..this thread rocks hard.
    Last edited by Seraphim; 9/24/2006 10:50pm at .

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Style
    Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai
    I just noticed that there is no Wikipedia article on Coda Scott...that could be almost like a newspaper article.

I would start working on slapping a basic one together, but I'm sweepy and need to go to work in the morning. Maybe tomorrow.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Join us... or die
    Style
    Fucking Prost
    Puts down the port glass and cigar. . . .

What fun I miss having fun.

It seems I proved unfortunately correct in my assessment regarding the ethics of anyone who would offer validation to such a peasant as this Coda. Period. He rather further demonstrated the truth of this later. What a surprise . . . never saw that coming. . . .

I would question the ethics of anyone who would accept a rank from such a man or organization that would lend credibility to him, "honorary" or not. A gentleman--one with ethics--would return such a certificate and have nothing further to do with such a person.

Period.

--J.D.
    Why yes, I still have sand in my vagina! It is because I am a lying cowardly child who got buttfucked by MEANIE Doctor X! I also do not know the Latin and it makes me cry!!--Phrost

I suck Rudy Abel's Dick, I love the taste.

Style
    Traditional TKD
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim
    I feel that a newspaper article would be more akin to a precise attack. People in his home town would read the article. His family would read it. His friends would read it. They wouldn't have to log on, and find this thread.
    I have an idea. We should have clear window stickers made up, kind of like those you see on storefront glass doors from the Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau, Elks Club, Lions Club, etc. One for "McDojo" and one for "Bullshido".

Walk by one night and just slap it on the window next to the other stickers. It'd be up for months before the owner ever saw the sticker on his school door reading, "This school has been declared a McDojo by Bullshido.net", and have the Bullshido logo on it.

And..this thread rocks hard.
    It really does!

Style
    Shotokan & Wing Chun
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    I have an idea. We should have clear window stickers made up, kind of like those you see on storefront glass doors from the Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau, Elks Club, Lions Club, etc. One for "McDojo" and one for "Bullshido".

Walk by one night and just slap it on the window next to the other stickers. It'd be up for months before the owner ever saw the sticker on his school door reading, "This school has been declared a McDojo by Bullshido.net", and have the Bullshido logo on it.
    LOL. Nice one, but you know, if you do that, Coda would use it like these "as seen on TV" ads that you see around. I can picture his resume being altered to read "Endorsed by Bullshido.net" :laughing5

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Join us... or die
    Style
    Fucking Prost
    I am surprised he has not redacted this thread for his webpage:

Original: A magnificent colossal pile of steaming dog feces! A pathetic dojo run by a pathetic LARPing manipulative so-called "master."

Web: "Magnificent!" "A . . . colossal dojo!" "Run by a Master!"

--J.D.
    Why yes, I still have sand in my vagina! It is because I am a lying cowardly child who got buttfucked by MEANIE Doctor X! I also do not know the Latin and it makes me cry!!--Phrost

Style
    Muay Thai/Judo/BJJ
    Hi this may sound like a bit of a strange request but this is the place that i think it should be placed. If any of the people from Pawnee in here could give me a call at 918-399-9891 then it would be greatly appreciated. I will save the reasons for the call upon receiving it. Hes related to martial arts and would be interested in this read.

sorry for what may seem like a derailing but beleive me its not.

Edit: if you call between 8 to 3:30 i will not be able to answer so just leave a message.

Style
    Hung Gar / Choy Li Fut
    Ok, lets try this again, the first reply did not post for some reason.

First, Welcome back Dr X. Sorry, I have been kinda tied up with some things and have not read the matieral in our other thread, will get to that.

Now, for this response.

As I have pointed out in past posts, the certificate was not the biggest problem, and now I have found that ONE of the board members were certianly talked to, two certianly were not. The one that was is highly respected by the others and by every martial artists I know in the erea, I will leave it to them if they choose to post here to identify themselves (though everyone should realize nobody would make a false claim to bebunk a ranking given to them, even honerary membership) The problem with this one lies with the two I spoke to that were NOT consulted. I have been given an explination of sorts on that note and will withhold my reaction until I hear from others.

The main problem has been stated in past posts and I have been asked to check one more detail before making a firm oppinion on that matter. Being a man of honer, I will do that and will not post the results until I have done so, which should happen today. However, from this thread, it looks as if I may have more than one person to talk to on this note as well.

Sorry for the vaugness. When I post something about someone I must have all my facts in order, be the post good, bad or nutral.

Thank you and God bless,,
    John Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor X
    Puts down the port glass and cigar. . . .

What fun I miss having fun.

It seems I proved unfortunately correct in my assessment regarding the ethics of anyone who would offer validation to such a peasant as this Coda. Period. He rather further demonstrated the truth of this later. What a surprise . . . never saw that coming. . . .

I would question the ethics of anyone who would accept a rank from such a man or organization that would lend credibility to him, "honorary" or not. A gentleman--one with ethics--would return such a certificate and have nothing further to do with such a person.

Period.

--J.D.