Page 1 of 3 123 Last

In class we are learning all sorts of knife attack and defenses. One of the things we learnt was a 7 angle attack template where most of the defenses invole trapping the blade against the forearm. Do you think this is safe? How would you respond to someone who though it wasn't?

Style
    EC, BJJ n00b
    Checking the blade arm with your forearm, or trapping the blade against your forearm?

I don't do Kali but the latter sounds really dangerous, especially if it gives them access to the inside of your arm.

Style
    i
    Do you mean disarms using your forearm?

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Style
    i
    Why didn't you just ask Guro Nick?

~
    danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Escrima: Its neutralizing the knife with the blade trapped against the forearm (palm facing you so it's not exposed)

Dues: This is the first step towards disarms using the forearms, right now we'r just trapping and feeding the next attack. I think from the trap you can also turn the knife against the atacker and stab him with it. I was told that Sayoc does not favor disarms, the theory being that the attacker will just draw aother weapon.

I did ask Nick, he said that its safe, if anything youll get minor cuts to your arms but its alot better than getting stabbed in a vital area. I was just curious to see if anyone had any other insights or opinions.

Edited by - gojuJKDdude on July 04 2003 14:35:54

Style
    Liu Seong Gung Fu
    could you be more specific about how you achieve that position?

is the opponent swinging and you trap the arm?

how do you trap the arm?

"palm facing you so it's not exposed)"

whose palm? what's not exposed?

sorry so many questions, but i am confused, i have several ideas about what you may mean.

peace.

<marquee>REDANTKUNTAO</marquee>
    <marquee> INDONESIAN GUNG FU</marquee>

Style
    i
    Are you talking about the 7 count passing drill, gojuJKDdude?

~
    danny

Style
    i

I think this is what gojuJKDdude is describing.

~
    danny

Edited by - deus ex machina on July 04 2003 21:19:30

hmmm, looks dangerous if the person with the knife knows what they're doing and changes the angle of the knife you will get cut. Personally, I'd rather not get cut anywhere. This kinda reminds me of Rick Hernandez's (Filipino Kuntao) approach, he instructs you to kinda roll in with your elbow (striking the forearm with the elbow) as the knife thrust comes, there is a chance you will get cut though, but supposedly you are protecting your carotid artery.

Why does that guy on the right (in the picture) remind me of the guy "Seth" in American History X? lol

Thats exactly it deus, the 7 angle passing drill. Have you seen on sayocs website the 1-5 transition drill videos (demonstrated by none other than guro nick) theyr insane!!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last