Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Aloha

Style
    BJJ-white belt
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aloha

Hi everyone, I created this account a while back, first time posting...I have no idea wtf happened that led me to create that name so if a member of the admin staff happens to be reading this I'd appreciate it if you could change my name to Loser. If not, well, I suppose I could just grin and bear it-though I do so love going emo about forum names.

I am currently studying kung fu/wushu, but I plan on moving on once I've got a good command of it to BJJ or Capoiera (I want to do all three, but I gotta wonder how the hell my fighting style is gonna end up after a while. I'm less than a novice at any fighting art, a negative green, yellow and spotted brown belt if you will. I'm in decent shape, 5'9, 135lbs. and a mere 16yrs old. I'm pretty much your average teenage kid...so that being said, I hope to learn a lot while being here...I also believe that my hopes will likely be crushed....but hey, a kid's gotta dream right?

Also, although I'm on summer vacation, I've got this 4000word essay to do for my school. We can pick any topic so I figured I'd pick something that actually interests me-martial arts. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me find some examples of how the perception of martial artists has changed throughout the years and how it's represented in a radically different light now, nothing lengthy or elaborate, just some ideas that I can research (examples being like how martial artists in China used to be considered the lowest of the low, and yet now are respected or with Brazil and capoeiristas)

Aesopian.com
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which BJJ gym are you looking at joining?

Style
    BJJ-white belt
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really know yet, I've yet to get anywhere with kung fu. I've found a school I like but due to school (extremely time consuming remember?) I haven't had the time to really get into it too much. I love the culture and history of China and such, but lately I've been kinda thinking about going with the whole muay thai/bjj/capoiera route. I've heard that capoiera fits in really nicely with bjj as far as the standing work goes, anyone care to shed some light on that? Oh yeah, and I'm a skinny guy, without much muscle, wouldn't that mean a striking art would be more towards my nature than a grappling one? I dunno...I'm lost right about now.

Aesopian.com
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really want to learn about Chinese culture, I recommend you take a course, read books or watch documentaries about it. This would be more meaningful than Lion Dancing your way through the Sinophilic psuedo-culture found at most kwoons.

By all accounts, capoeira is good for exercise, dancing and meeting hot chicks. What it is not is good for fighting. It has some usefulness for BJJ but mainly in terms of developing balance and fitness, not in terms of actual technical crossover.

Being skinny doesn't have any really bearing on whether you'll be better at striking or grappling. Personal perference and time/energy devoted to practicing either one will.

If you want to keep up with Yu-Gi-Oh mindset of collecting styles like you'd collect monster cards or if you want to keep going with "Oh, I just love the cultural experience ^_^", then stick with kung fu and waste a few years in it. If you're actually interested in developing skills in fighting and self defense, you should get into MT and BJJ now.

Aesopian.com
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, remove the text formatting from your first post.

Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of Kung Fu do you do?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's go time.

Style
    BJJ-white belt
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Northern Shaolin, it's a buncha stuff, predominantly Northern Shaolin Long Fist, but he lets us have compulsory forms, so like I could diverge off into bagua or 5 animal forms or w/e. My internet is being irritating so I'm not gonna address the above post from Aesopian quite yet ( I wrote three seperate responses, but each time I go to post the internet takes a **** on me, thank you divine entity that governs the internet)-but anyway, would anyone care to help with the research paper? =/

Aesopian.com
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll just cut to the chase. Get out of kung fu before you waste any more time. If you don't start MT or BJJ at your age, you're going to wish you did later, especially if you become a hollow husk of a man from wasting decades in kung fu.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hear, hear. I second that notion.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last