Page 5 of 5 First 12345

Style
    Brazillian Jiu Jitsiu
    Awsome post!!! I have a lot of respect for you after reading it!!

Competition

Wouldn't competition be a great gauge for that? I believe that one of the greatest aspect of our mat sports is that there is no hiding...it all comes out on the mat. One on one...

I believe that competition would pretty much settle the inner conversation and inspire to continue the growth.

Best to you on the mat.

Style
    TKD/BJJ

From striking mentality to bjj mentality

What a great post! I hope you don't mind if I share this with some of my students. As a taekwon-do blackbelt with 25 years experience in the art, I've noticed that some of what you talk about (the fears of losing in training, stagnation in technique due to said fear, bragging about successes, etc) is sadly part and parcel to much of the world of the striking arts. It comes from the "ooh, I got you!" aspect of your goal being to land a punch or kick. Because it's harder to achieve in striking what would amount to success in the street or in a kick-boxing match (i.e. knocking someone out!) than it is in grappling (submitting someone- no knock out necessary!), often times the measuring stick for feeling good about your training is "getting" someone. You, know, landing an awesome face shot or knocking the wind out of someone with a lucky spinning-back kick, and so on. The unrealistic world of "point-sparring" certainly contributes to this as well. When I began training jiu-jitsu in earnest about 5 years ago, I brought some of that mentality with me to the mats and experienced much of the fear-induced stagnation and discouragement you talk about because I was measuring my grappling progress by striking standards. So afraid to tap that I would try to make up for lack of technique with excessive energy output and not take risks or try new things, feeling like a failure every time I tapped or failed to tap someone out. Thankfully, over time with the help of great mentors and training partners that old mentality began to fade and was replaced with a healthier outlook. Now getting tapped out is a learning experience I eagerly embrace. I don't just cling to my bread and butter moves to destroy my partners or never allow my partner to gain a dominant position thus robbing myself of the opportunity to work on escapes and defense. BJJ has taught me humility and patience and shown me what's important in the bigger picture. You know what the coolest part is?...now when I put the gloves on and do some tkd sparring or kickboxing I am able to apply the BJJ mentality to that! It's no longer about the "gotcha's" but rather how well did I control my breathing and stamina through the round, how effectively did I block and slip punches, did I learn something new about the way I move or my weaknesses, and was I able to help my partner and myself become better through this sparring session? I run my own tkd school, and with the help of some awesome purple belts I met at a Gracie garage I am including at least fundamental jiu-jitsu skills in our curriculum. However, despite my best efforts to cull it, I still see some of my older students fall prey to the old mentality, but if I was able to change so can they, and perhaps some of the wisdom you dropped here can help open their eyes. I see much hope and promise in the new ones coming in, benefiting from the start from the healthy jiu-jitsu outlook that they can apply to any art, and to all aspects of life even! So here's to making the world a better place, one tap-out at a time!

Page 5 of 5 First 12345