Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    BJJ/Judo/Boxing

From IT to Police?

I recently was talking to a friend of mine who is a police officer and he let me know they are currently hiring. He knows i'm getting really bored as a programer and I'm looking for a change of pace (although not to seriously, I love my job. I'm just getting bored with programming. I'm thinking of getting out of 'computers'). Its a mid to large size city with nominal crime in the midwest. Surprisingly the pay is not that bad and is actually about 5k more then I make currently.

I was wondering if anyone on the forums was a city police officer. I wonder what the job was like for them and if they think it is worth persuing. What is a common day like? Is it a good long term career? Any other input.

So do you guys think this is worth persuing? If I do, should I go get a degree in criminal justice first (A degree is not listed as a requirement)? Or should I just give it a shot and see what happens? I'm going to talk to a few guys tonight who work on the force and if I'm still interested setup a ride along, but I wanted to get other opinions from other officers out there in the internet community.

Style
    Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit
    I'm actually thinking of taking the SCPD test next May. Between the pay and the benefits it's definitely worth it to me.

Style
    wagamichi shorei kempo
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I recently was talking to a friend of mine who is a police officer and he let me know they are currently hiring. He knows i'm getting really bored as a programer and I'm looking for a change of pace (although not to seriously, I love my job. I'm just getting bored with programming. I'm thinking of getting out of 'computers'). Its a mid to large size city with nominal crime in the midwest. Surprisingly the pay is not that bad and is actually about 5k more then I make currently.

I was wondering if anyone on the forums was a city police officer. I wonder what the job was like for them and if they think it is worth persuing. What is a common day like? Is it a good long term career? Any other input.

So do you guys think this is worth persuing? If I do, should I go get a degree in criminal justice first (A degree is not listed as a requirement)? Or should I just give it a shot and see what happens? I'm going to talk to a few guys tonight who work on the force and if I'm still interested setup a ride along, but I wanted to get other opinions from other officers out there in the internet community.

I work for the indianapolis Police department. Stay in It.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Style
    Okinawan Karate
    I have never been a cop, but there are lots of cops in my family. I can't really give you a "day in the life" type deal, but I do know most of the ones I know all worked security jobs in bars and dance halls as half their income. I think it depends on your personality. I would have been a cop, but the pay was not enough for me.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

and good morning to you too supporting member
    Style
    MT/BJJ
    Too weird. Was in school for criminal justice while working in IT. Every cop I spoke with (over a dozen) said I was nuts to want to go into LE if I could "do computers". I've been rethinking that decision since I'm going nowhere (no where left but management. **** that.) and outsourceing will eat my job eventually.

Do the ride along no matter what - they're a blast - but from what I was told either you are drawn to that field or you're not. I'd say don't do it just it do something different.

random funny - the criminal justice program advisor when I was in school was named Mr Crooks.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

There's always BlackwaterUSA, if you've got military experience. I've kicked around the idea of both a bit since I sit on my ass WAY too much doing IT stuff and I'm tired of fighting a daily battle against being a dough-ass. The money in IT is just too good and I've got a thing for expensive cigars, fast cars, and guns; none of which are cheap.

What about being a Fireman?

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Style
    Okinawan Karate

Bad Boy, Bad Boy, Wachaganado?

People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Style
    Arnis, judo, Taichi
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    There's always BlackwaterUSA, if you've got military experience. I've kicked around the idea of both a bit since I sit on my ass WAY too much doing IT stuff and I'm tired of fighting a daily battle against being a dough-ass. The money in IT is just too good and I've got a thing for expensive cigars, fast cars, and guns; none of which are cheap.

What about being a Fireman?

I am trying to get out of public safety/LE.....If i had it to do again and decided this is what i wanted they i would go fire......They get more chicks......

PT

Style
    Tai Chi
    I've had simillar thoughts about the software->police thing, and whilst the money is less, I could cope. However, one thing I've heard about (by anecdote only) in the UK is that whilst the official maximum joining age is 50-something (with the usual PR stuff about valuing life-experience etc..) in practice this is only really for people with military/other uniformed service experience and that 30-something is considered a bit too old for people coming from a completely 'civilian' background.

Is this the same in the US ? what are the 'official' maximum ages like ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Style
    What about being a dirty cop? You could make awesome cash I bet.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last