Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need Dojo Recommendation in NYC

Hi Bullshidoers,

When I was a kid, I studied TKD and although they were the real deal, I wasn't. I gained some skills (some of which I've tested in live situations), but quit when I was 16.

I recently started doing some Filipino stick/knife stuff, and I'm enjoying it, but it's not fully suiting my needs. I want to supplement it with a well-rounded style (i.e. not just grappling and not just striking). Here's what I'm looking for:

-=> Exercise (I want to leave class panting and do some strength training)
    -=> Self-defense (I want my skills to realistically transfer to street situations)
    -=> Sparring (with contact)
    -=> Located on the West side of Manhattan (where I live/work)
    -=> Not fancy (rat holes are fine as long as the dojo is swept)

I'm open to a number of styles and am curious about learning grappling, having never done any. The ideal dojo would offer classes in multiple styles. I don't care about belts or competition. I'm not interested in attitude. I just want to be pushed hard for a couple nights a week.

Can anybody here recommend a dojo, perhaps one they've actually trained at?

Thanks,
    HHH

and good morning to you too supporting member
    Style
    MT/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing meets every one of your wants.

You just can't learn the secret anti-grapple or ground work kata's until you get your belt.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Style
    Yudo, Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got lot of choices, unfournately I don't think any of these places are near where you work.

http://www.kyokushinkarate.com/about/docs/aboutus.htm

http://www.oishi-judo.com/FRAME.htm

http://www.renzogracie.com/html/academy/location.aspx

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea, the Gracie academy would be a good choice, but I would think it would be a little pricey, speculation though.

Style
    Not.....working
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try looking for an Kyokushin school or a style called Oyama Karate.But I would try looking for Judo in your area.There's plenty of MMA type gyms.But beware.MMA is really ,really popular right now so don't be surprised by high prices.Just keep looking around until you find something that doesn't leave you hungry.As great as BJJ I'll bet those guys in NewYork would charge a lot.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    all those places are excellent, especially oishi and renzo's.

yes renzo's is very expensive, but has top level training.

i would also suggest checking out ronin athletics (straight blast gym affiliate) located on west 27th st (6th and 7th) http://www.roninathletics.com/ i think this might be the best deal and suit your needs to a T.

and across the street, my school is well rounded and not fancy so, you might come and check us out. http://yees-hungga.com/

the main thing is to go check out a lot of options and see what you like.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, gents, for the suggestions. And keep them coming.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Join us... or die
    Style
    Fucking Prost
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a very good teacher David Finkelstein who has been "around the block," so to write, for the last thirty-odd years. It has been a few years since I have visted him, but his students were and are excellent. I will try to find contact information.

What he does may or may not be what you want/need. However, he is a very good person to talk to regarding recommendations for other people to help you with your specific needs.

--J.D.

and good morning to you too supporting member
    Style
    MT/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    since this is in newbie town now I'll spell out what you need to know - namely that a single style won't have everything you're looking for. The only option to cover all the ranges would be to find a MMA school that does some combo of MT, western boxing, BJJ, wrestling and Judo. Those arts are considered the best in what they do in each area for a reason.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM Join us... or die
    Style
    Fucking Prost
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You forgot Wing Chun . . . it has it all. . . .

Flees flying bricks. . . .

--J.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last