Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

psychics used by military?

The last time the U.S. military was trying to paint a bullseye on Saddam Hussein's surly mug, during the Gulf War, intelligence officials quietly turned to a secret panel of "psychics" for information about his whereabouts.
    http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2003/.../21007160.html

is this a fucking joke? somebody please tell me that this is either a lie, or at least that the "intelligence" they gained was disregarded.

but why the hell would they spend money on this in the first place?

Style
    MMA, JKD philosophy
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In this guy's book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...Fencoding=UTF8 he claims he ran a remote viewing group for the CIA and Army. You tell me if it's true or not, but he was brought in as the remote viewing advisor for the Steven Hayes ninja documentary on Discovery channel. For whatever that's worth. Fortean Times also did an article on his remote viewing school where people pay him thousands for classes to learn this. They were kinda noncommittal as to how well it worked.

I've read a lot about this kinda thing, and apparently in the Cold War the US and Russia spent millions each to test psychics. They even both admit to it officially. They also say it didn't work, but like they'd admit it if it did. It's more like if the enemy was studying it, they had to spend the money and do it too. Kinda like how we bankrupted them with Stealth and Star Wars technology races.

I've read that there's been a number of studies where psychics scored over 50% in tests, which should prove something's there. In almost every case, when they do more tests, the ability seems to go away. The skeptic's explanation is that all the psychics are fakers, and that the more extensive the tests get, the harder it is to pull a con. The believer's logic is that the skeptic influences reality, and disrupts the test by being there. Or that the current mindframe in the world is that science works, so weird stuff like this won't, unless you're alone or with a buncha new age hippies who also believe. Fortean researchers try to study without any preconcieved notions so as not to influence the tests, but things tend to not happen around them, but right after they leave. It happened to Charles Fort, it's why he said that the governing law of the universe was irony.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im watching you type on your keyboard right now.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably the best-researched account of American involvement with psychic spying, use of subliminal messages, etc that I've come across is Jon Ronson's "The Men Who Stare At Goats". You should be able to do some of your own research to verify the key players in the initiatives he mentions actually exist, it doesn't take much, and then you can sit back and enjoy the ride as he connects the dots.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074...lance&n=283155

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The military have long traditions of stupid ideas. Any remember the legions of dog-bombs that the Russians trained before Kursk? They trained hundreds of dogs to associate tanks with food and then strapped mines to them and let them loose on the battlefield. Unfortunately, after the **** hit the fan, the dogs all got disoriented and couldn't distinguish Soviet from German armour and ended up causing equal but minor damage to both sides.

Style
    TSK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beneath Contempt
    The military have long traditions of stupid ideas.
    You're right. This whole idea of remote viewing is absolutely stupid. Imagine, the next thing they will want to be able to do is remotely watch flying things, or even swimming things, from thousands of miles away. What's wrong with these people using public money for things which clearly have no practical, civilian uses?

If we don't understand it, then the best explanation is clearly that the idea is stupid.

Style
    TSK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Im watching you type on your keyboard right now.
    I guess I better get dressed.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Style
    Okinawan Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beneath Contempt
    The military have long traditions of stupid ideas. Any remember the legions of dog-bombs that the Russians trained before Kursk? They trained hundreds of dogs to associate tanks with food and then strapped mines to them and let them loose on the battlefield. Unfortunately, after the **** hit the fan, the dogs all got disoriented and couldn't distinguish Soviet from German armour and ended up causing equal but minor damage to both sides.
    Yeah, but the bat bombs actually worked!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001580.html
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by punchingdummy
    You're right. This whole idea of remote viewing is absolutely stupid. Imagine, the next thing they will want to be able to do is remotely watch flying things, or even swimming things, from thousands of miles away. What's wrong with these people using public money for things which clearly have no practical, civilian uses?

If we don't understand it, then the best explanation is clearly that the idea is stupid.
    Point taken, but you can see how it might look if a mission goes disasterously wrong - you send 100 guys to their deaths due to faulty satellite imagery - that's one thing. You send 100 guys to their deaths because Madame Ra read the the crystal ball wrong - that's a whole other thing. It wouldn't look too clever to the oversight committee either.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Style
    Mostly weights now...
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah they made a documentary about this. I think it was called "Suspect Zero" or something like that.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last