Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    garbanzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,679
    Style
    MMA, Boxing

    Aikido sparring clips?

    I've Searched.

    I've Googled.

    Does anyone know of any Aikido sparring clips anywhere?

    By "sparring" I mean two people going at it without any pre-arranged sequences or cooperation. The level of contact doesn't matter.

    I don't mean demo's. I don't mean drilling.

    By "Aikido sparring" I mean two Aikidoka using Aikido. An MMA fighter who has Aikido in his/her arsenal stomping someone's face is not what I'm after. Lord Aisia sparring at a throwdown doesn't count.

    Clips of Aikidoka using Aikido in free sparring is what I'm after.

    Does such a thing exist?
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

    --O Sensei

    :gaygay:

  2. #2
    Cullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,526
    Style
    Tai Chi
    I'm not sure if this counts. Apparently the techniques allowed are limited, but not 'cooperative' if you see what I mean :-

    http://www.wakefield-aikido.co.uk/gallery/13.avi
    http://www.wakefield-aikido.co.uk/gallery/14.avi
    http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/ ~aikido/video.htm
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

    !! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

    Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey



    I <3 Sirc.

  3. #3
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,580
    Style
    Jits
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzo
    Does anyone know of any Aikido sparring clips anywhere?

    By "sparring" I mean two people going at it without any pre-arranged sequences or cooperation. The level of contact doesn't matter.


    Clips of Aikidoka using Aikido in free sparring is what I'm after.

    Does such a thing exist?
    Something like this?

    http://www.aikiweb.net/videos/column...5_11_clip4.mov

  4. #4
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,267
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzo
    I've Searched.

    I've Googled.

    Does anyone know of any Aikido sparring clips anywhere?

    By "sparring" I mean two people going at it without any pre-arranged sequences or cooperation. The level of contact doesn't matter.

    I don't mean demo's. I don't mean drilling.

    By "Aikido sparring" I mean two Aikidoka using Aikido. An MMA fighter who has Aikido in his/her arsenal stomping someone's face is not what I'm after. Lord Aisia sparring at a throwdown doesn't count.

    Clips of Aikidoka using Aikido in free sparring is what I'm after.

    Does such a thing exist?
    While you're looking for that, I have some videos of the Sasquatch that I can show you.

    By the way, I do not believe I have ever formally apologized for accidentally stealing your name. Generally I register for things with the name "garbanzobean" because no one ever uses a name similar to that and it's easier than spending 45 minutes trying to come up with something creative that no one else has already taken. Sorry for that.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  5. #5
    garbanzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,679
    Style
    MMA, Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    While you're looking for that, I have some videos of the Sasquatch that I can show you.

    By the way, I do not believe I have ever formally apologized for accidentally stealing your name. Generally I register for things with the name "garbanzobean" because no one ever uses a name similar to that and it's easier than spending 45 minutes trying to come up with something creative that no one else has already taken. Sorry for that.
    No worries.

    Great minds think alike.
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

    --O Sensei

    :gaygay:

  6. #6
    Cullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,526
    Style
    Tai Chi
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    While you're looking for that, I have some videos of the Sasquatch that I can show you.

    By the way, I do not believe I have ever formally apologized for accidentally stealing your name. Generally I register for things with the name "garbanzobean" because no one ever uses a name similar to that and it's easier than spending 45 minutes trying to come up with something creative that no one else has already taken. Sorry for that.
    I have to admit to being somewhat impressed by the video DCS posted.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

    !! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

    Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey



    I <3 Sirc.

  7. #7
    garbanzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,679
    Style
    MMA, Boxing
    Cullion and DCS:

    They all count.

    Thanks.
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

    --O Sensei

    :gaygay:

  8. #8
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,267
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I have to admit to being somewhat impressed by the video DCS posted.
    It's definitely better than the usual junk, but I have some issues with it:

    1.) The aggressor is rushing forward to the point of offbalancing himself. While this certainly happens, it is considered to be a no-no in the martial arts I've trained in. This certainly does happen, but I'd like to see more of the aikido guy before I say that his energy redirection skillz are mad.

    2.) The two takedowns he managed were based on grabbing ahold of the guy's belt and the back of his collar. Again, letting someone get behind you is a big no-no. Also, what does Mr. Aikido grab if he does not have those? Wrist, back of neck? I mean, what if he is going after a sweaty MMA guy (again, hypothetical).

    This video is better than the usual shite, but if it's the best Aikido has to offer, no thanks.

    I'd definitely like to see more, though.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  9. #9
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    14,211
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    It's definitely better than the usual junk, but I have some issues with it:

    1.) The aggressor is rushing forward to the point of offbalancing himself. While this certainly happens, it is considered to be a no-no in the martial arts I've trained in. This certainly does happen, but I'd like to see more of the aikido guy before I say that his energy redirection skillz are mad.

    2.) The two takedowns he managed were based on grabbing ahold of the guy's belt and the back of his collar. Again, letting someone get behind you is a big no-no. Also, what does Mr. Aikido grab if he does not have those? Wrist, back of neck? I mean, what if he is going after a sweaty MMA guy (again, hypothetical).

    This video is better than the usual shite, but if it's the best Aikido has to offer, no thanks.

    I'd definitely like to see more, though.
    I swear to god it looks like crappy Hapkido minus out clinch work and decent throws .

    But its nice to see them actually trying and attempting something besides co-opt scripted drills .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Paula-Satire
    Never believe that the GOP and fellow bigots are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The bigots and Republicans have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past and that besides, they have already won

  10. #10
    Mr. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,309
    Style
    Being a total psychopath
    I can't see the video DCS does it look something like our randori?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in