Thread: Introduction!

Style
    Reality Self-Defense
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Introduction!

Just thought I would drop a few short lines. I started my training in American Freestyle Karate (Professor Danny Andersons) style back in 1980, it was more of a Sparring Type of style for tournaments, but our Instructor improvised and we began our journey into making it an effective self-defense system for our duties in the Air Force Security Police career field. We later on added Hand to Hand Combat Training (Judo and Jujitsu) to give us some of the grappling techniques and since that was lacking in our training program.

After almost 20 years of doing AFSK, I thought I needed a change and tried TKD, it wasn't what I was looking for, then I switch to Kenpo (Mr. Ed Parkers Kenpo), it was alittle to expensive for my bank account each month.

I've also been trying the Reality Base Personal Protection Training, but there are very few true instructors in that field in Texas let alone North Texas.

Though I've slowed over the years, I still try and keep in the best shape I can due to my job requirement and safety and train every so often, but I really enjoy talking with others that are interested in the same that being "Martial Arts and Self-Defense" training.

I'm looking forward to corresponding on here with other like minded individuals and reading all the great threads. Thanks!

BJJbot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the Bullshido Forums scdodge... Make sure you review your dojo and add it to your user control panel so you can get the icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi there. Thought I'd introduce myself here instead of starting yet anotgher thread.

I'm a 24 years old guy that have done martial arts since the age of 13, although I stopped training for 3 years when I moved out of my hometown because I couldn,t get work.

Now that I fattened my wallet sufficiently to resume martial arts training, I've been looking for a good school in Québec City. The first place I went was at a Fang Shen Do dojo on Hamel blvd. Seriously doubtful after the free course I spectated (I didn't really see skill from anybody there, instructors included), I went on the internets to see what people (and not the propaganda filled web page of the "Sijo") had to say, and found 2 150+ pages thread on it full of OMFG stuff in here.

So, basically, I though "hey, my quest for a good place to train is still not complete, but at least I found one hell of a great forum".

See ya all.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    both of y'all need to go to a boxing class. and please nubs, make your own intro threads dont piggyback someone elses.

Style
    Reality Self-Defense
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    both of y'all need to go to a boxing class. and please nubs, make your own intro threads dont piggyback someone elses.

Boxing classes, definately beneficial, but, I've survived 46 years without them, I guess another few years without them won't matter much.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    Considering the vast majority of forums I've been on cringe everytime someone makes an unnecessary thread, I just assumed the same. I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuck Chorris
    I think people deflect the attention when the piggyback. Crazy. Welcome to bullshido both of you and yes to Boxing. Yes to Kickboxing. Yes to Wrestling. Yes to BJJ. Yes to Judo. Yes to anything that makes you fight. Not LARP.

For MooveZing, there is a good instructor in Quebec. I want to say the name of his school is the Multi-Cultural something or other. I don't speack French and don't know if you guys have the Yellow Pages up there or some other Frenchy thing instead - Mauve Pages? Philip Gelinas is the instructor. Anyways, if you want more info I will try to figure out the whole "I am in America thing but I don't wanna speak American and I like Hockey instead of a man's sport like Football - and no, not that gay version that we call Soccer."

That's not thrashing the new people is it? WELCOME TO BULLSHIDO!!!!
    I've LARPed enough. Spent 2 years with a sensei who's idea of good martial arts training was to train a cheezy backhand punch specifically devised to become a gosu guy in point fights. His students for him were trophy gatherers and that gave him a lot of publicity. His name was Denis Paquet ("Kenpo" school in Chicoutimi).

On Philippe Gélinas, yes I know him, and he is renowned and for the good reasons, as being the trainer of many well known figures in the TKO fighting league (a notch under UFC as far as skill goes, and where GSP made his classes, but still very good). However, considering his school is in Montréal and I live in Québec City, 200km is quite a long way for a course. Especially considering I do not own a car. 10 hours of bike is a good exercise, I admit, but a bit over the top.

And it's the Yellow Pages ^_^.

Here's looking at you, squid. Join us... or die
    Style
    Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could always move...

Welcome to the forums, both of you.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"