Page 4 of 8 First 12345678 Last
    Style
    Internal/extern
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wkk's version of the 18 lohan hands is basically a style of Yoga IMO. Yoga and Taoist qigong are very similar. Buddhist, Taoist, and Yogic practices can be integrated, and follow the same principles.
    Last edited by serious harm; 11/12/2004 3:40pm at .

Aesopian.com
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only good thing about that post was that it made me think is Lindsay Lohan.

Style
    Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    The first mention of these exercises being attributed to Bodhidharma occur around the late 1600s. It was common practice in China for someone to invent something, but attribute it's creation to someone more famous to make it seem more important. Bodhidharma did not bring these exercises to Shaolin. They were probably Taoist in origin.
    You understand that there are no certainties in the history of the Chinese Martial arts, right?

Did Tamo ever even show up at the temple? He scaled the Himalyas and bam, lives in a cave for 3 three year stints, and only comes out to teach the monks something? All the while he stares at the wall of his cave, drilling a hole in the wall with his chi, and listening to ants scream?

Who knows for sure? No body.

Who cares? Not me.

18 monks is a good exercise, it doesn't matter who made it up.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Style
    Various
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by serious harm
    Here is an article which explains Taiji is multi faceted, containing many different aspects. Taijiquan is martial, for health, and spiritual.

http://www.taijigongfu.com/gongfu.html
    Well SH. I HAVE TO GIVE YOU SOME CREDIT.

That was a interesting link.

Style
    Various
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    The first mention of these exercises being attributed to Bodhidharma occur around the late 1600s. It was common practice in China for someone to invent something, but attribute it's creation to someone more famous to make it seem more important. Bodhidharma did not bring these exercises to Shaolin. They were probably Taoist in origin.
    Crap. Although you have a point of one to invent something a give credit to something or someone else-seem like a good analogy for Shaolin martial Arts.

HOWEVER- These exercises, per discussion with Buddhists, are Buddhist origin.

Taoists and Buddhists are always at a somewhat odds or "nemisis".

Style
    Various
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by serious harm
    Wkk's version of the 18 lohan hands is basically a style of Yoga IMO. Yoga and Taoist qigong are very similar. Buddhist, Taoist, and Yogic practices can be integrated, and follow the same principles.
    Do you know where the origin of lohan comes from?

Style
    Various
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    You understand that there are no certainties in the history of the Chinese Martial arts, right?

Did Tamo ever even show up at the temple? He scaled the Himalyas and bam, lives in a cave for 3 three year stints, and only comes out to teach the monks something? All the while he stares at the wall of his cave, drilling a hole in the wall with his chi, and listening to ants scream?

Who knows for sure? No body.

Who cares? Not me.

18 monks is a good exercise, it doesn't matter who made it up.
    Yeah he rode a leaf on a river.

Style
    shaolin temple
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taoists and Buddhists are always at a somewhat odds or "nemisis".
    Not exactly.

Style
    Various
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is that?

I mean at odd not in physical/internal methods, I mean per religious/cult.

Style
    Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by callmetrinity
    Do you know where the origin of lohan comes from?
    There are two distinct lohan styles. I can't tell you where either one of them "originated" though. Probably with Buddhists though. :icon_comp
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Page 4 of 8 First 12345678 Last