Page 5 of 5 First 12345
  1. #41
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,469
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I built an AR using a Palmetto State Armory lower in 5.56. It had a factory blemish, so it was super cheap. Put a nickel boron BCG in it along with a stainless 16” barrel.

    I’ve put maybe 5,000 rounds through it with very few FTF’s. It cost me $600 to build from parts before optics.

    My goal was to build a mid quality AR and to get the experience for future builds.

    I’m a bit concerned after Ghost and someone else mentioned that PSA was not a good brand. Thoughts?
    PSA parts are inconsistent, but if you've gone through 5000 rounds you are probably fine. I recommend you check your bolt and chamber periodically for chips of nickel boron if the bolt is coated. That is MOSTLY an issue seen with large frame ARs, but can happen sometimes with normal AR15s. You don't want that stuff obstructing your bore.

    Also, HIGHLY recommend go, no go, and field gauges in 5.56 or .223 (whichever you plan to use, I recommend 5.56) if you plan to build more ARs, or shoot a lot. They aren't too expensive and can save you from a bad day. After that, the JP universal vice clamps for working on barrel assemblies and uppers in general. Way better/cheaper than the Geissele reaction rod or anything else similar.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  2. #42
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    6,675
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    2
    Forged receivers are stronger than billet ones. However, billet will be plenty strong. Like Ghost said, sometimes with billet there are some parts that don't work as well. A lot of people making billet receivers add a couple features that usually end up meaning you have to buy their parts for certain things.

    But I'll tell you the benefit of billet over forged, it's the fit. Especially when they make billet receiver sets. I've seen a few that were so precisely made that when you fit the upper to the lower, you can't see the line between the two. I've seen some pretty amazing work as far as that goes. They can make super tight tolerances. So they will have really clean lines, flawless fit, and some cool designs. But, since they change those lines around, a lot of them will not fit in universal vice blocks. You either need the rail clamp blocks or you will have to make one yourself.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  3. #43
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    8,172
    Style
    CQC
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Forged receivers are stronger than billet ones. However, billet will be plenty strong. Like Ghost said, sometimes with billet there are some parts that don't work as well. A lot of people making billet receivers add a couple features that usually end up meaning you have to buy their parts for certain things.

    But I'll tell you the benefit of billet over forged, it's the fit. Especially when they make billet receiver sets. I've seen a few that were so precisely made that when you fit the upper to the lower, you can't see the line between the two. I've seen some pretty amazing work as far as that goes. They can make super tight tolerances. So they will have really clean lines, flawless fit, and some cool designs. But, since they change those lines around, a lot of them will not fit in universal vice blocks. You either need the rail clamp blocks or you will have to make one yourself.
    I'll freely admit my Colt has a bit of rattle. The m4e1 lowers from Aero have a tensioning screw that that takes up the slop, and you can always get an accuwedge for $5.

  4. #44
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,469
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    2
    Fitment between upper and lower receiver is an aesthetic concern, not really a functional one. It gives no real indication of accuracy potential unless the fitment is incredibly poor. In fact, overly tight fitment and tensioning can cause stress on the areas of the receivers that capture the pins and connect the upper and lower. Too much slop can affect accuracy, but "too much" is probably a lot more than people would think.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  5. #45
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    6,675
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    1
    I really like a lot of things that Aero does with their receivers. Adding the set screw to the rear retainer spring and to the bolt catch are probably my favorite. Makes the recivers less "mil spec" but an improvement, IMO. Heck, I like to change out the trigger pins and put in anti walk pins, too. Doesn't cost much, but a nice upgrade instead of fucking with the grooves in the trigger pins when pushing them through.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  6. #46
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    8,172
    Style
    CQC
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I really like a lot of things that Aero does with their receivers. Adding the set screw to the rear retainer spring and to the bolt catch are probably my favorite. Makes the recivers less "mil spec" but an improvement, IMO. Heck, I like to change out the trigger pins and put in anti walk pins, too. Doesn't cost much, but a nice upgrade instead of fucking with the grooves in the trigger pins when pushing them through.
    Aero's M4E1 design should be the new milspec. The integrated flared magwell is also super helpful.

  7. #47
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    6,675
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    In fact, overly tight fitment and tensioning can cause stress on the areas of the receivers that capture the pins and connect the upper and lower.
    I haven't seen this issue with billet receivers. However, I have seen it many times with forged receivers that have been cerekoted. They put the cerekote on good on the outside but leave too much in all the holes. You end up having to do something to get that pain off or it won't fit or you can't put detents in where they go.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  8. #48
    Cassius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,469
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Aero's M4E1 design should be the new milspec. The integrated flared magwell is also super helpful.
    I like not having to deal with as many roll pins.

    I like the Aero enhanced uppers as well. Only downside is rail compatibility. As long as you can find a rail you like that accepts the BAR interface or whatever they are calling it now, it's awesome. Rock solid.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

  9. #49
    ghost55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    8,172
    Style
    CQC
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    I like not having to deal with as many roll pins.

    I like the Aero enhanced uppers as well. Only downside is rail compatibility. As long as you can find a rail you like that accepts the BAR interface or whatever they are calling it now, it's awesome. Rock solid.
    They make a threaded m4e1 upper now.

Page 5 of 5 First 12345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in