30 Karate Blackbelts In MMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjxDhf9h-I4

Fan film by me on Karate in MMA.

Any Karate guys on here?

For me Karate was really a turning point in the sport in general. He showed that if a fighter uses a deep stance they are harder to takedown than a typical kickboxing stance.

Stephen Thompson is probably the most entertaining Karate guy in MMA although I find him a bit douchey in his youtube video's, he uses an entertaining style when he's in the Octagon except for when he was against Woodley.

I'm sorta a Karate guy I guess. As far as MMA I would say Machida was top dog for using Karate. IMHO Machida started to suck once he moved away from his bread and butter of Karate. I know he had BJJ too, but it just seemed like his grappling didn't fair as well as his patty cake did.

Style
    MMA
    I started with TKD &Karate. Haven't worn a Karate gi since I was a teenager, but still use it in sparring.

A point looking at that list, is the popular Karateka in the UFC also had good takedown defence from wrestling, (GSP, Liddell), Sumo with Machida, etc

I heard Frank Mir commenting on Jon Jones's oblique kicks on a podcast once with, "I wish we knew that was legal! I know Karate, I can do that ****."

Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I'm sorta a Karate guy I guess. As far as MMA I would say Machida was top dog for using Karate. IMHO Machida started to suck once he moved away from his bread and butter of Karate. I know he had BJJ too, but it just seemed like his grappling didn't fair as well as his patty cake did.

What? He never moved away from it. Did you watch his last fights? He started to suck because people realized that he sucks.. They thought he was some super dangerous grandmaster but then Shogun showed that you simply bang and he's a kitten. As did Romero, as Rockhold, As did Weidman, as did "insert name".

Quote Originally Posted by Sanda_fan View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjxDhf9h-I4

Fan film by me on Karate in MMA.

Any Karate guys on here?

For me Karate was really a turning point in the sport in general. He showed that if a fighter uses a deep stance they are harder to takedown than a typical kickboxing stance.

Stephen Thompson is probably the most entertaining Karate guy in MMA although I find him a bit douchey in his youtube video's, he uses an entertaining style when he's in the Octagon except for when he was against Woodley.
    Stephen Thompson is the best Karateka by far but he's also extremely non committal and boring, just like Machida. The style just doesn't suit these type of fights. They can't just bang so they instead try to outpoint then run away the rest of the round.

Style
    MMA, BJJ, Kickboxing
    Machida doesn't so much suck as much as he's been figured out and I think he's had a hard time trying to adapt himself to something new. Karate fighters can be really good counter strikers and great at fighting on the outside. I think they struggle at punching distance and can be countered through stone walling.

I use the same kind of tactics and it can be really frustrating for people that spar or fight with me but soon as I get someone who doesn't play my game and can stand there ground. Then I'm out of my element and in an awkward position.
    Last edited by Gold,frankincenseandSPRAWL!; 12/06/2019 10:00am at .
    "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Gold,frankincenseandSPRAWL! View Post
    Machida doesn't so much suck as much as he's been figured out and I think he's had a hard time trying to adapt himself to something new. Karate fighters can be really good counter strikers and great at fighting on the outside. I think they struggle at punching distance and can be countered through stone walling.

I use the same kind of tactics and it can be really frustrating for people that spar or fight with me but soon as I get someone who doesn't play my game and can stand there ground. Then I'm out of my element and in an awkward position.

Machidas problem is that he's trying to do point fighting with his fists in a full contact setting. When the opponent responds in the kickboxing style, he has to move out. Thompson uses his legs - a far superior method of point fighting in a FC setting. Keeps the fighters at range and can also be used defensively.

Now someone might say Michael Venom Page--- Two points on that. MVP has a far superior reach, is a greater natural born athlete, and fought weaker opponents.