Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #11
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,315
    Style
    Kendo
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think that makes your instructor a punk ass bitch.
    Well, then you can regard pretty much every high level kendo instructor I've ever played, including the former head instructor at Keishicho, as punk ass bitches. But I wouldn't recommend saying it to them.

    At any rate, kendo is not about self-defence as you should well know. We learn plenty from attacking the sensei relentlessly. As your level starts to get closer to theirs, they start to play you a little bit more. You really don't want one of those 8 dan guys taking it to you at 100% when you are less than instructor level yourself. It's not a pleasant experience.

  2. #12
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    12,892
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Well, then you can regard pretty much every high level kendo instructor I've ever played, including the former head instructor at Keishicho, as punk ass bitches.
    Then it shall be so. Thatís a bitch move, and I donít care who does it.

  3. #13
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    27,341
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    That can happen. That's actually a better outcome. Some sensei just decide you aren't worth teaching. So the next time you line up with them, they make you run some basic drills, then it's sonkyo (the formal kendo bow out) and next! If they kick the **** out of you then you know they think you're worth teaching.
    Same in Judo...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #14
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,315
    Style
    Kendo
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Then it shall be so. Thatís a bitch move, and I donít care who does it.
    Shocking reveal: I do it, too. I just let them try to hit me, and if I think the attack is sufficient I will let it happen. I can block anything a beginner throws at me, and I can hit them any time I want. The best learning experience for them is to throw a bunch of stuff at the wall (the wall being me) and see what works.

  5. #15
    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    12,892
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Shocking reveal: I do it, too. I just let them try to hit me, and if I think the attack is sufficient I will let it happen. I can block anything a beginner throws at me, and I can hit them any time I want. The best learning experience for them is to throw a bunch of stuff at the wall (the wall being me) and see what works.
    If an instructor acts like a **** during sparring because a student adopts the same strategy heís employing, then heís just a twat. Heís pulling rank to impose a limitation on his student. Itís like if a jiu jitsu coach rolled with his students and played closed guard but didnít allow his students to. Itís fucking stupid.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,918
    Style
    what style?
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    If an instructor acts like a **** during sparring because a student adopts the same strategy he’s employing, then he’s just a twat. He’s pulling rank to impose a limitation on his student. It’s like if a jiu jitsu coach rolled with his students and played closed guard but didn’t allow his students to. It’s fucking stupid.
    Happens all the time to me, it’s actually the standard I’m used too. I can work Defense with people my own skill level or slightly above, where I have a fighting chance.

  7. #17
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,315
    Style
    Kendo
    2
    They can try whatever they want, we just don’t want them to sit back and wait. It’s bad for their development. If they try to do it with me I just hit them until they figure out it isn’t working.

  8. #18
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    27,341
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    If an instructor acts like a **** during sparring because a student adopts the same strategy he’s employing, then he’s just a twat. He’s pulling rank to impose a limitation on his student. It’s like if a jiu jitsu coach rolled with his students and played closed guard but didn’t allow his students to. It’s fucking stupid.
    <golf clap>
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in