Style
    Goju Ryu

For the school owners, a question of how you manage this

Ok, so I've been wondering about my job prospects and building up my life to be more as I want it to be. Ive got some potential to become an animator again in a studio if not on freelance which would be a good 9-5 + overtime. Ive got my gym job currently and it's ok but I'm looking to really move out of it and have my own gig sometime, probably using a garage to train people on a 1-to-1 basis or move on to mostly classes outside of another job in the future once Ive got more experience. I'm one kyu away from being able to being training as a Judo coach, and my K-1 and Goju Ryu instructor has offered to put me on a rather intense 3 year program to become an instructor to the quality he would be happy to let me go off and teach (which will involve me doing a good 3 nights of multiple hours plus planning classes and doing one to ones as well as my own training and assisting teaching). Before I think about these as financial investments I have a few questions.

I'd like to know how the members on here who are instructors balance work and teaching martial arts and if it's a relatively straightforward matter and what trappings I could fall into, what difficulties and financial matters I would need to think about and what balancing this kind of work with another job could mean?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    Ok, so I've been wondering about my job prospects and building up my life to be more as I want it to be. Ive got some potential to become an animator again in a studio if not on freelance which would be a good 9-5 + overtime. Ive got my gym job currently and it's ok but I'm looking to really move out of it and have my own gig sometime, probably using a garage to train people on a 1-to-1 basis or move on to mostly classes outside of another job in the future once Ive got more experience. I'm one kyu away from being able to being training as a Judo coach, and my K-1 and Goju Ryu instructor has offered to put me on a rather intense 3 year program to become an instructor to the quality he would be happy to let me go off and teach (which will involve me doing a good 3 nights of multiple hours plus planning classes and doing one to ones as well as my own training and assisting teaching). Before I think about these as financial investments I have a few questions.

I'd like to know how the members on here who are instructors balance work and teaching martial arts and if it's a relatively straightforward matter and what trappings I could fall into, what difficulties and financial matters I would need to think about and what balancing this kind of work with another job could mean?
    Liability insurance...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post

Dude, this is all I do. I mean I could help give you advice if you wanted to simply open your own facility but otherwise I would say you're too low on the totem pole. You should have someone who would watch over the school for times you couldn't be there and what you would do to compensate them. Insurance, location, marketing, local business bureaucracy always need to be considered.