Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    Thread moved from the Basic Technique forum. The subject matter is not about a specific technique.

kendo1234, please read the stickied threads at the top of each forum to understand the guidelines that govern each. Some fora are heavily moderated for on topic content, like the technique fora.

Style
    Ex-Karate
    Aikido

Need I say more

Especially as I thought it would help me as a then police officer

Style
    Playground warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    I spent over three decades training Wrestling, Judo, and BJJ,

before someone told me that firearms are better and the concept of just avoiding fights.

Damn it....
    Out of curiosity, was it by chance or design that you picked up those MA (and persisted).
    "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Out of curiosity, was it by chance or design that you picked up those MA (and persisted).
    Boxing and wrestling were common activities for young males in my family, so as a youth, I participated in both sports.

The place where I moved when I graduated high school did not have college wrestling,

But had regular Judo competitions because of the nearby military bases, and had Roy Jones Jr., so I did Judo and Boxing.

I started cross training in shootfighting and the submissions coach was a Chris Haueter student who kept talking about “Brazilians” and the “Gracies”.

The first UFC came out and I was on the phone to Royce Gracie a day or two after.

Through a series of referrals, a few months later, I moved to Orlando to train at a school that had Brazilian black belts in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu teaching every class.

Style
    CQC
    I did aikido for about a year and a half before I realized it was absolutely useless.

Style
    KARATE-BJJ-MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    I did aikido for about a year and a half before I realized it was absolutely useless.
    Hell, I still do karate. Basically because I am too damaged to do anything better anymore.
    And I think at least half of all my training was completely useless fighting-wise and probably a quarter of it was actually damaging to my health and not in the beaten-up-by-my-betters type of damage. I wasted health and life doing stuff that was never going to work and it took me over a decade to figure out that it was not (just) me that sucked.

Style
    Ex-Karate
    Quote Originally Posted by ksennin View Post
    Hell, I still do karate. Basically because I am too damaged to do anything better anymore.
    And I think at least half of all my training was completely useless fighting-wise and probably a quarter of it was actually damaging to my health and not in the beaten-up-by-my-betters type of damage. I wasted health and life doing stuff that was never going to work and it took me over a decade to figure out that it was not (just) me that sucked.
    I’m trying to make my mind up at the moment if I should go back to karate (not shotokan), do another MA (not too bothered what as long as I enjoy it) or do more yoga. At the moment yoga seems to be winning.

Style
    Judo
    I grew up on the wirral in England which is about 5 years behind the rest of the UK in most things (The first bjj club only opened a couple of years ago).

I trained judo for about 10 years from the age of 5 to 15. Eventually finding out that none of the instructors in the area had any kind of official grades and that all the training was sub par. My present coach had a good laugh when I showed him the grading book with the gold stars they put in.

I just wish I'd known about the british judo association, found an accredited club over in Liverpool and gotten some better instruction. Or joined the Thai boxing club that used the room after us which had some decent success on the British kickboxing circuit.

Funnily enough the moment a bja club opened all these other clubs disappeared and I can't find any evidence of them or the people that ran them.

I also spent a couple of years doing ninjitsu but that was just silly wank.
    Last edited by MJCromwell; 11/15/2019 4:57am at . Reason: Grammar

Page 2 of 2 First 12