Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Style
    Grappling/BJJ

The Man Who Took the Gracie Challenge and Lost!

While pursuing some videos on youtube i came across this old Gracie challenge video from back in the day (see below). The "challenger" at the 5:10 mark piqued my memory and i remember seeing his story in an old edition (April 1992) of Black Belt magazine. The article was titled "The Man Who Accepted the Gracie Challenge and Lost!" and concerned a kempo karate stylist who decided to take on the Gracie family. Anyway i'm just throwing this out there for nostalgia purposes and it was interesting to see his version of his matches with Royler Gracie and what the tape shows. I also enjoyed his somewhat underhanded comments about "...if this had been a streetfight i would have done things differently..." This link should take you to the article https://books.google.ca/books?id=-s8...allenge&f=true

If the link doesn't work google "black belt magazine april 1992" and the article is on page 18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR7l4pfD3Rw

Style
    Grapple
    He is a Soke Shihan of his own style. “Guardian Jujitsu”

Perhaps Royler didn’t hit him hard enough.
    King without a crown

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    I was hoping that this would say he learned his lesson, trained in BJJ and is now a black belt.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I was hoping that this would say he learned his lesson, trained in BJJ and is now a black belt.
    No, he had to try to create his own system. I mean, if he had just done this or that in that fight, he would have won, amirite?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Grappling/BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    No, he had to try to create his own system. I mean, if he had just done this or that in that fight, he would have won, amirite?
    I should have known.....he's already been discussed here..... https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...ghlight=gracie

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa View Post
    I should have known.....he's already been discussed here..... https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...ghlight=gracie
    Thanks for that. It was an interesting read. Is he still teaching the same stuff out there?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Mixed
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Thanks for that. It was an interesting read. Is he still teaching the same stuff out there?
    He's now a 9th degree and a "Guest Master" at Guardian Quest, which I guess is the logical successor to Guardian Academy.

Honestly this thread was a rare case of somebody getting the Bullshido Treatment and actually keeping their heads on straight.

New site:
    http://www.gqdojo.com/about/
    '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    So, who took the Gracie Challenge and won ? That would be more interesting...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Throughout the nineties, flukes happened.

In general, most trained fighters and untrained fighters that came into Gracie Jiu-Jitsu rooms looking for a fight were beaten, sometimes multiple times, just to prove the point.

But, fluke losses did occur.

Strike connected from a sloppy clinch attempt.

A freak headlock around the temples caused the jiu-jitsu man to go out.

A Judo man would get the ezekiel.

Point of trivia, the ezekiel is called the ezekiel because a Judo black belt choked a BJJ black belt out with it.

Style
    what style?
    Name:  sakuraba.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  11.7 KB

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last